World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I have got my hands on a second hand 525 supermag and I need to put some line on it, I usually go for about 20lbs, my last line purchase was spiderwire on my fixed spool, but I am not too thrilled with that.

I am open to braid or mono - I just wondered what you guys would recommend. I will be using it for clean beach fishing and over rocks.

Cheers guys,

Matt.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
On my supermag I use 20lb in the winter and drop down to 12lb in the summer. I like daiwa sensor but it is quite difficult to see at night which is a pain, I switched to penn super surf which seems pretty good and is cheap enough to replace regularly :fish:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I wouldn’t use braid on a supermag as it can and will jam up I have ultima f1 and must say its very strong and thin cant see it at night though with it being black. Bit pricey too. Also have ultima tournament that’s great line too. It really depends on what ground you will be fishing and what species you intend to target

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I would go for 15lb Daiwa Tournament or 16lb Sakuma Nite Crystal both lines cast very well, plus are visible at night too. Although they are coloured it wont matter as you can use a clear shock leader.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I would go for 15lb Daiwa Tournament or 16lb Sakuma Nite Crystal both lines cast very well, plus are visible at night too. Although they are coloured it wont matter as you can use a clear shock leader.
I use the sakuma nite crystal 16lb line, very good and not expencive

·
Registered
75 Posts
try ultima red ice its a good strong line and easy to see at night :fishing1:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Do you not find that Red Ice is a bit dry to touch and does not cast that well on warmer days? I much prefer Sakuma Nite Crystal now as it is supple and actually helps casting distance. Also its diameter is a bit thinner for the breaking strain which may be a bonus over other lines. You will get over 1000m of 16lb for only £7 so it is a complete bargain aswell.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have just started using sakuma night crysal in 16lb / 0.33mm diameter and I am well impressed, I also use penn neon super surf 15lb / 0.33mm on my other reel and like that too.This is on 6500s though.
On the 525 mag however you may have trouble controlling your casts with lines below 0.33mm and I find that 0.35-0.38mm lines at 18-20lb much easier to control on the penns. You can always use a lower line level to couneract this but you will lose retrieve speed .

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have just started using sakuma night crysal in 16lb / 0.33mm diameter and I am well impressed, I also use penn neon super surf 15lb / 0.33mm on my other reel and like that too.This is on 6500s though.
On the 525 mag however you may have trouble controlling your casts with lines below 0.33mm and I find that 0.35-0.38mm lines at 18-20lb much easier to control on the penns. You can always use a lower line level to couneract this but you will lose retrieve speed .
agreed stick to .35mm to .40mm for best performance.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
suffix tritanium in 15lb. suffix synergy in heavier breaking strain for mixed ground. penn surf burns into your thumb on retrieve but a good line for a fixed spool.
Used Tritanium for years because of its strength. I am so reluctant to change to a different line, but decided it was time to swap from Tritanium as it is [email protected] in windy / warm conditions. I find it dries out quickly. I have since swithced to Penn Long Distance surf and must say it is very good. Can't agree with you on it burning into the thumb on retrieve....I found Tritanium did that.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys.....just FYI I found this excellent website about testing fishing line - well worth a read : http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/dave02.htm
notice in this test http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/tips/20--line-test-23589.html Stren Original stood out.

Veals are doing a 3 for price of 2 on Stren original at the moment.

If you reel is the "old" 525 mag (as opposed to the 525 mag Xtra being sold now) you might want to do one of the following:
use thicker oil than usual
underfill the spool
use thicker line (even for clean beaches) - e.g. 0.37 to 0.42mm instead of 0.30-0.33 mm (which is o.k. on the least-rough beaches for strength, if it is an abrasion resistant line)
get an extra magnet or two and add them in

those old 525 mags were known for being 'a bit fast'
If it's a 525 mag Xtra just make sure the extra magnets (supplied) have been placed in there; with them it is a very "docile" reel indeed.

You can use superbraid on a multiplier (philtherod has been doing it for years and years and so have I) but of course if you do get a birdsnest it'll be awkward to untangle.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
notice in this test http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/tips/20--line-test-23589.html Stren Original stood out.

Veals are doing a 3 for price of 2 on Stren original at the moment.

If you reel is the "old" 525 mag (as opposed to the 525 mag Xtra being sold now) you might want to do one of the following:
use thicker oil than usual
underfill the spool
use thicker line (even for clean beaches) - e.g. 0.37 to 0.42mm instead of 0.30-0.33 mm (which is o.k. on the least-rough beaches for strength, if it is an abrasion resistant line)
get an extra magnet or two and add them in

those old 525 mags were known for being 'a bit fast'
If it's a 525 mag Xtra just make sure the extra magnets (supplied) have been placed in there; with them it is a very "docile" reel indeed.

You can use superbraid on a multiplier (philtherod has been doing it for years and years and so have I) but of course if you do get a birdsnest it'll be awkward to untangle.
Thanks for the heads up - I am a complete newbie with multipliers - it is an older one not the "xtra", but bloody hell its fast - I am still trying to get control over the speed, I do end up with bird nests, but they are getting smaller and smaller the more I use it. I think I will try and sort out with some thicker oil and more magnets - are there any online guides to doing this ?

Matt.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I'll bet it's covered in "blackbeard"'s site http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/
with the Xtra (where the 2 extra magnets are supplied in a little bag) you just have to allow them to attach themselves to ones already in the carrier (plastic thing the magnets are in, which is moved closer to the spool as the slidy adjuster is slid more towards "slow") ...... although one or two people have said they've been shook up and got out of position some time after fitting.

I bet it is similar for the old supermag ("Blackbeard" will say if there is not enough clearance on the plastic carrier to add them on that way)

thicker oil - flush the bearings (after removing them from the reel) with lighter fluid then leave to dry (on kitchen paper is good) then put a drop or two of the heavier oil on them , wait a bit, and take them off the paper & put them in the reel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts