World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a white gelcoat. What do you guys recommend ?......and while we're on the subject. What have you people found to be the best boat polish.?

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
I liked Farecla Professional Marine Restorer, but it's been discontinued now. I did the boat this year with Farecla 200XL it's given a good shine and it went a long way. The most imporant thing to get a good shine though is a power polisher and a nice firm pad - I use the Farecla ones too. 12 year old boat shines better than most showroom fresh boats.
As a protective polish after you have the shine restored, for white GRP I like Autoglym Super Resin - not the best on the car, but I find it works well on white GRP - very quick and easy to use.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Another vote for Autoglym; if the oxidation is too sever then try the Autoglym paint restorer - the one with the pink label. Rotary polishers make a big difference compared to polishing by hand.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Jeff,
I use Bar Keepers Friend, stain remover, this removes all the stains from rust runs etc. And will polish up the oxidation from a2 stainless. Brilliant stuff.
For polish, Starbrite Marine polish with Ptfe, is my preference.

Hope it helps
Paul

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Jeff,
I use Bar Keepers Friend, stain remover, this removes all the stains from rust runs etc. And will polish up the oxidation from a2 stainless. Brilliant stuff.
It's a good point to clean the hull before you polish it otherwise you just get shiny stains! - even the various abrasion polishes mentioned will remove oxidation of the gel but none will remove any yellowing however hard you polish.

Any oxalic acid based product will remove the yellow around the water line, rust stains etc (I use Y-10 gel, simply as its the brand at my local chandler, but all have good reports so I would just get whichever is easily available) and they all go a long way - some people like to mix their own oxalic acid mix in wall paper paste but it's not really worth the cost saving (about £2) if you only have one boat to do - the size tub in the photo does the complete hull (not just the water line) of a 21ft boat twice over.

There's five minutes and zero effort (you just sit back and wait, then wash off) between the two photos below.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts