World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests I could do with some feedback on which reel would be best for the Bristol channel.
Something bombproof that casts well.
Thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Saltist 20 H I find really good had mine magged and casts a good distance. Not had any problems with them so far

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I use a Penn 525 mag slidy, 525 mag2 and a 515 mag2 and all work fine for me

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
I supose it depends on what sort of fishing you do, the channel can be snaggy ground, out and out rough ground , surf beach or a sheltered estuary. If your planing to do it all the Penn 525 takes some beating. Rough ground saltist or slosh , surf and estuary Abu 65 akios 65 and millionaire, mixed any of the afore mentioned

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Saltist will take some beating...not sure about the bg ones, ive got the original 20H and its spot on for anything lol....although those release reels look like the dogs doodahs....

JIm

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Look at penn 535 mag2 absolutely bombproof ! Casts really well ! Ive put a mini review on this reel somewhere here and the mag set up just is so easy to operate.This reel is one powerhouse being a narrow spool she cranks in line super fast and even with big baits will skim over any terrain at an alarming rate ! This reel even being a20-30lb class reel feels so well balanced on the rod on the retrieve its a joy to wind this mighty reel ! A real winching machine ! - just my opinion

·
Registered
17,104 Posts
Slosh is as good as anything for sheer cranking power imo, but the Saltist looks decent too - if I could afford one!

Distance is not necessarily required, especially for the rough ground BC marks, so think more about a powerful reel that will get you out of the snags quickly.

I have a Penn 525 slidy and I find it isn't quite gutsy enough for my taste, although it's okay, but each to their own.

My default rough ground reel these days seems to be an old 535 GS that I picked up secondhand, but it still casts sweetly and can also crank in anything...

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Slosh is as good as anything for sheer cranking power imo, but the Saltist looks decent too - if I could afford one!

Distance is not necessarily required, especially for the rough ground BC marks, so think more about a powerful reel that will get you out of the snags quickly.

I have a Penn 525 slidy and I find it isn't quite gutsy enough for my taste, although it's okay, but each to their own.

My default rough ground reel these days seems to be an old 535 GS that I picked up secondhand, but it still casts sweetly and can also crank in anything...
Have a look around for a 2nd hand one mate...i picked my 20H up pre-magged for 90 notes, so there are some bargains out there

Jim

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I fish the reefs mainly on mixed ground with strong tides and at times loads of weed!
I have original 525's, fathom 15's and a 20H.
All are nice reels, but the 15's and 20H will both crank the weed in with ease, the 525's have a lot less cranking power.
The issue with all these reels though is they are a bit small for heavy line, cast, walk back a bit with the tide and the retrieve is very slow on initial pickup.
A 30H saltist would be a good compromise.
Si.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts