World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys what is the best rig setup to use over rough ground I've recently got in to bait fishing with a 12ft rod but most casts keep getting snagged when I reel in I have been buying ready made rigs I fish mainly round the plymouth area/mount wise / west hoe. Seems a wasted session getting snagged and snapping line any advise or tips would be much appreciated.

Registered
You could use a rottenbottom so at least you could retrieve your trace and possibly a fish.
Or......Change to a less snaggy location????

If your unsure what a rottenbottom is, rather than try to describe it, if you Google it that'll give you a better idea 馃憤馃憤馃憤

Quick edit
Welcome to the forum 馃榿

Registered
This one is up my street . I have one or two sessions on the rough stuff. Here are my thoughts . Always consider that there is a tackle grave yard out there. This can be a night mare . Extremely heavyweight braid and 7oz lead with razors attached coud solve馃お it or grapple hook and rope . Treat your to some Berkley big game 25lb for main line. Hook snood amnesia 15 - 20 lb I use 5-6 ft snoods but for less problems snaging shorter snoods would be of benefit. Hooks should be in my opinion uptide pattern. Viking or b950 u these under steady pressure will bend out of a snag by springing off or straiting out yet have the strength to hold specimen fish.I use pennel ,but for lack of experience single hooks are advised . Pop up rig can be affective by keeping your hook above snags. Float fishing some times could be considered. Grippers on the lead is a must, as plain can often get washed in to a rock or crack . Longer wires on the lead can be beneficial also by stopping the lead going in to a crack or hole. A large fixed spool reel is a must for a fast retrieve. Good back bone fast tapper rod helps no end. Lead lifts can be used but i don't get on with them ,they snag weed way to easy for my likeing hefty leads is the kiss of death go as light as conitions will alow . For me 4 oz is the best . Pulley rigs are the go to rig . But I use up and over running more than pulley. As mentioned rotten bottom can help in certain situations. Again i dont use these as i dont see the lead as the main problem. If you realy can not shift it then put the rod down on the rest and hope you still have bait on as a bass will often release the rig for you . If that fails then pull evry thing tight then release the bail arm this can some times pop every thing out of a snag.A great trick is when retrieving your bait ,wind down gentle to take up the slack the run back and reel at the same time to raise the lead up quickly then reel quickly to scoot your rig along the surface till safe infront of you. The obvious one is to walk down the beach left or right ,trying to fing the release angle .I once even attached a bottle half full of water attached to a slider ,slid it down my line and let it drift down the tide then gace it some teddy to get a different angle to move it of the snag . Alot of effort, but it worked a treat.Always try and fish the better ground by checking at low water. I some times even remove loose rocks that get in the way of my line lay. I've even once made my own feature from boulders ,but that's for another thread. Obvious that you can't do this were water never uncovers . The only option here is snorkeling or Google earth pro or Navionics . Rough ground can be very varied. But some were in the info I have just released is the answer. I could probably lead the roof of a church with the lead I lost learning to fish the rough stuff . Now I rarely lose my gear 1 set every 2-3 sessions is about the normal. Hope this gives you some insight to the big fish play grounds. All the best and good luck boi.

Registered
This one is up my street . I have one or two sessions on the rough stuff. Here are my thoughts . Always consider that there is a tackle grave yard out there. This can be a night mare . Extremely heavyweight braid and 7oz lead with razors attached coud solve馃お it or grapple hook and rope . Treat your to some Berkley big game 25lb for main line. Hook snood amnesia 15 - 20 lb I use 5-6 ft snoods but for less problems snaging shorter snoods would be of benefit. Hooks should be in my opinion uptide pattern. Viking or b950 u these under steady pressure will bend out of a snag by springing off or straiting out yet have the strength to hold specimen fish.I use pennel ,but for lack of experience single hooks are advised . Pop up rig can be affective by keeping your hook above snags. Float fishing some times could be considered. Grippers on the lead is a must, as plain can often get washed in to a rock or crack . Longer wires on the lead can be beneficial also by stopping the lead going in to a crack or hole. A large fixed spool reel is a must for a fast retrieve. Good back bone fast tapper rod helps no end. Lead lifts can be used but i don't get on with them ,they snag weed way to easy for my likeing hefty leads is the kiss of death go as light as conitions will alow . For me 4 oz is the best . Pulley rigs are the go to rig . But I use up and over running more than pulley. As mentioned rotten bottom can help in certain situations. Again i dont use these as i dont see the lead as the main problem. If you realy can not shift it then put the rod down on the rest and hope you still have bait on as a bass will often release the rig for you . If that fails then pull evry thing tight then release the bail arm this can some times pop every thing out of a snag.A great trick is when retrieving your bait ,wind down gentle to take up the slack the run back and reel at the same time to raise the lead up quickly then reel quickly to scoot your rig along the surface till safe infront of you. The obvious one is to walk down the beach left or right ,trying to fing the release angle .I once even attached a bottle half full of water attached to a slider ,slid it down my line and let it drift down the tide then gace it some teddy to get a different angle to move it of the snag . Alot of effort, but it worked a treat.Always try and fish the better ground by checking at low water. I some times even remove loose rocks that get in the way of my line lay. I've even once made my own feature from boulders ,but that's for another thread. Obvious that you can't do this were water never uncovers . The only option here is snorkeling or Google earth pro or Navionics . Rough ground can be very varied. But some were in the info I have just released is the answer. I could probably lead the roof of a church with the lead I lost learning to fish the rough stuff . Now I rarely lose my gear 1 set every 2-3 sessions is about the normal. Hope this gives you some insight to the big fish play grounds. All the best and good luck boi.
Some how forgot to mention circle hooks. They undoubtedly aid in avoiding hooks snaging.

Registered
Hi guys what is the best rig setup to use over rough ground I've recently got in to bait fishing with a 12ft rod but most casts keep getting snagged when I reel in I have been buying ready made rigs I fish mainly round the plymouth area/mount wise / west hoe. Seems a wasted session getting snagged and snapping line any advise or tips would be much appreciated.
In the area you mentioned I would try float fishing or get making your own leads and rigs.

Registered
15-20lb is VERY light for a snood on rough ground. Even on clean ground in sone cases. Anything with teeth and even doggies will wear or go through that pretty quickly.

What are you targeting on rough ground with snoods that light?

Registered
15-20lb is VERY light for a snood on rough ground. Even on clean ground in sone cases. Anything with teeth and even doggies will wear or go through that pretty quickly.

As I did mention is different along all ground. Bass are my only target and my catch rate doubled when going to 20 lb snoods much more natural movement to the bait. I replace them if any damage is detected. Can't reach some of the areas I need to be hitting with heavy main line either . My reply was more based on what works for me. We don't get very many toothy critters in my neck of the woods.

Registered

All caught on rough ground some very rough ground indeed with 20lb amnesia snoods. It's more about imparting all the little tricks and methods to get it to work with lighter snoods . This is only a very small percentage of the fish caught with 20lb snoods. The proof for me is in the pudding.
Fin Marine biology Fish Ray-finned fish Salmon-like fish
Jaw Sleeve Fish Seafood Plant
Fish Fin Watch Tail Seafood
Fin Fish Ray-finned fish Tail Bony-fish
Sleeve Fish Water Sky Fin
Water Fisherman Fish Fin Recreation
Fin Fish Marine biology Underwater Rectangle
Fin Fish Rectangle Display device Marine biology
Food Fish Fin Ray-finned fish Animal product
Cloud Water Sky Water resources Atmosphere

Registered
As I did mention is different along all ground. Bass are my only target and my catch rate doubled when going to 20 lb snoods much more natural movement to the bait. I replace them if any damage is detected. Can't reach some of the areas I need to be hitting with heavy main line either . My reply was more based on what works for me. We don't get very many toothy critters in my neck of the woods.
Fair one, bass don鈥檛 need a thick snood, I agree.

I think though our definitions of 鈥榬ough ground鈥 may differ - my idea of rough ground here is jagged rocks, rock ledges and kelp forests, probably similar to what Rouge referred to.

The ground in your pictures I鈥檇 class more as broken ground.
Cracking fish though. 馃憤

Registered
J
All caught on rough ground some very rough ground indeed with 20lb amnesia snoods. It's more about imparting all the little tricks and methods to get it to work with lighter snoods . This is only a very small percentage of the fish caught with 20lb snoods. The proof for me is in the pudding. View attachment 1392273 View attachment 1392274 View attachment 1392275 View attachment 1392276 View attachment 1392277 View attachment 1392278 View attachment 1392279 View attachment 1392280 View attachment 1392281 View attachment 1392284
Im not sure what exact grounds you fish but, if you used a 20lb snood on some of our 'mixed' ground marks on the east coast of Antrim you'd be getting snagged and broken off every other cast. Never mind getting chewed through by a huss or conger. On the 'rough' ground you are guarnteed to lose the trace, so rotten bottoms and bouyant baits are needed. 60lb snoods on average, but we dont get much bass here being so far north.

Registered
J
Im not sure what exact grounds you fish but, if you used a 20lb snood on some of our 'mixed' ground marks on the east coast of Antrim you'd be getting snagged and broken off every other cast. Never mind getting chewed through by a huss or conger. On the 'rough' ground you are guarnteed to lose the trace, so rotten bottoms and bouyant baits are needed. 60lb snoods on average, but we dont get much bass here being so far north.
So I'm fishing ground with pinnacles and ledges that are made up of rough rock ,boulders,flint, and chalk reef . My results come mainly from extremely accurate casting to spots I have measured out on spring tides or snorkeling with string to make my measurements. Even going to the effort to clear wrack and loose rock. On the ground were I am we have flat chalk and sand in the bottom off some pools and gulleys. In my experience watching bass they work ove the roughest rock as the tide floods over it but the y soon find a holding point that is in on the edge of a pinnical or ledge or behind a large boulder ,bottom of a gulley entrance or exit. These areas tend to be more takle frendly . This is based all round my area and can appreciate that there will be load of ground that wont be fishable with lighter line. One thing is certain add the stronger breaking strain to my tips on my first post and your ground fishing. Obvious that if I was casting blind on to sharp broken rock with cracks ,holes barrnicals e.t.c then my approach would be some heavy class line. Accurate to with in a square meter up to 60 yards is my key. Something that's taken years to master. It helped growing up casting distance to islands on lakes and dropping it in a 5 inch square area. That's what happens when you have just over 30years practice casting to tight points.

Registered
So I'm fishing ground with pinnacles and ledges that are made up of rough rock ,boulders,flint, and chalk reef . My results come mainly from extremely accurate casting to spots I have measured out on spring tides or snorkeling with string to make my measurements. Even going to the effort to clear wrack and loose rock. On the ground were I am we have flat chalk and sand in the bottom off some pools and gulleys. In my experience watching bass they work ove the roughest rock as the tide floods over it but the y soon find a holding point that is in on the edge of a pinnical or ledge or behind a large boulder ,bottom of a gulley entrance or exit. These areas tend to be more takle frendly . This is based all round my area and can appreciate that there will be load of ground that wont be fishable with lighter line. One thing is certain add the stronger breaking strain to my tips on my first post and your ground fishing. Obvious that if I was casting blind on to sharp broken rock with cracks ,holes barrnicals e.t.c then my approach would be some heavy class line. Accurate to with in a square meter up to 60 yards is my key. Something that's taken years to master. It helped growing up casting distance to islands on lakes and dropping it in a 5 inch square area. That's what happens when you have just over 30years practice casting to tight points.
Wish we had huss or conger

Registered
I failed to mention I do use a shock leader of 80lb . That is essential for the size baits I use and rock rubbing. My experiments with braid didn't go to well and found I missed a fair few fish. Especially fishing close range.
A softer rod helps. You know what you can get away with on the ground that you fish. Personally I wouldn't use a leader on what I consider rough ground because the chances are i'd be tying on a new one every couple of casts. It used to be 30lb mono straight through, 15 lb rotten bottom, now it's 60lb braid straight through

Registered
A softer rod helps. You know what you can get away with on the ground that you fish. Personally I wouldn't use a leader on what I consider rough ground because the chances are i'd be tying on a new one every couple of casts. It used to be 30lb mono straight through, 15 lb rotten bottom, now it's 60lb braid straight through
I just can鈥檛 bring myself to love braid for shore fishing so it鈥檚 still 30lb mono for me, though might have to step it up a bit as the modem 30lb nylon lines are pretty thin!

Registered
If distance is isn't a requirement then a trick I've used in the past is putting a couple of 1inch foam deadbait pop up balls I use for pike fishing on leader between rig body swivel and leader knot, very small hard bead above pop up balls to prevent them travelling above leader knot, position just above rig body when casting out, during flight they move back away from rig so baited rig lays on the bottom while balls hold line up directly above rig (2 some degree depending on flow) keeping leader and main line above potential snags, fast retrieve is still necessary.
It's helped me in the past when I've had issues with snagging up so thought it may be of interest to you and anyone else.tight line's bud.馃憤馃帲馃悹

1 - 20 of 21 Posts