World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke the tip section off a favorite Abu Suveran pro-boat 20-30lb rod yesterday, or more corectly a pal broke it for me. Not the rod's fault, carelessness by the user, but this is the 3rd such rod I have had break on me. Personally I like the rod for the type of fishing we do on the wrecks mid-channel.
Before I rush out and replace the rod I would welcome any recommendations for alternatives to the Abu. Normally fish 30lb braid on Avet reels and use weights in the 8 -12oz range, in depths up to
110 M. Plenty of cod to 28lb yesterday! Recommendations gratefully received.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
yep they do.
can thoroughly recomend the suveran evo 20lb for pollacking. the 12lb is also a cracker but i feel 12oz of weight will take a lot of the fun out of it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have a Daiwa TDX 12-30lb that I use for my wrecking out of Plymouth using 8oz - 12oz leads and can't fault it.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
for wrecking i like the longer rods. i use a shakephere salt 12/20 braid. at 8ft long it takes the crash dives pollock do.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I too have had the misfortune of having a couple of suveran's break & changed my allegance to the Shimano Antares which also has a better action In my opinion. I also have a Shimano speedmaster 8'6 which is has good any rod you will get for gilling.
Incidentally, I had a look at the new Suveran Pro whilst in Alderney last week, It looks very impressive, but, personally I would wait until they are proven to be more robust than the previous model

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
My Abu tip split down the grain on a 20lb conger! When I posted on here about it a charter skipper said it was common on his boat. The rep collecting mine for investigation admitted that he had 3 in the last few weeks!

The Kenzaki 12-20lb will do the job and is very sensitive but no good for pulling up 6 mackerel at a time. It is a lightweight sporting rod. The Penn Waveblaster Evo 20-30 is well built and will haul up a dead weight and will fish heavy weights. I took this as a replacement for my Abu when it was accepted as a faulty rod!

C

·
0 Posts
I use a shimano Beastmaster 20 to 30lb and its great

would recomend any day

ETEC
I thought this was your preferred choice Sean:sneaky2:.
I have an MTI 20-40 Braid rod which I use for almost all of my fishing now. It will handle everything from flattie bashing to Congering so will take 12oz of lead without losing too much action

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for replies fellow forumites and to Snakecharmer for the tel call. Will be following up on that today.
Have experience of a number of rods cited above, with the exception of the ones you give Terry ( Cascars), perhaps one day I may come across one of them - they look good. Obviously no consensus view amongst the Forum and there are clearly a wide range of some good rods out there.
"Leeder" I have a Daiwa TDX 12-30lb, which is my back-up rod for when the going gets tough. Had my 25lb pollack on it last year when we found a wreck producing a lot of 20lber's. They are an excellent rod able to take a lot of work, but I also like a slightly lighter ,more sensitive, rod to get the best enjoyment out of the pollack and cod.
Pedro read your post and previous on the problems with your previous Abu rod. Like you I have a strong regard for the Penn Waveblaster Evo.
I think though I will give Abu one last try and go with one of their new Evo range. Tried one on Monday after the older version broke. A very tippy rod that performed well on the day and gave lots of sporting pleasure. Will have to see how long it lasts! Anyway thanks again chaps.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
most of the crew i fish with have at least 1 abu suveran, some the original, some the pro and myself with pro's and evo's.
i have only ever seen 1 break which considering it is the most used brand on the boat then i don't think thats too bad, it's a hard enviroment for rods on charter boats.
the new evo has the reel clamp screw at the bottom and the tip pushes into the butt, coupled with the extra length makes it a better rod than the pro imho.
i personally much prefer the action of the suverans over the shimano's as the shimano feels floppy to me with it's more through action as apposed to the abu's softer tip and steely mid-bottom section giving it a crisper feeling.

R

·
0 Posts
Another vote for the Kenzaki - the only one to use in this range for Pollacking is the 12 -20lb IMO (we own 6 Kenzaki rods across all the line classes except 30-50lb, so not just an armchair suggestion) Have heard nothing but good things about the MTI 20-40 that Cascars and others use, but have yet to see or try one !!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have 2 of the Kenzaki 12-20 rods and a 20-30, they're great! i chose them because theyre so light weight. The 20-30 can handle 10oz leads fine.

·
Registered
563 Posts
We have the whole range of Kensaki braid rods and they get another vote from me and my son

At first we thought them too flimsy, but Dan fought a very large porgie on his 30/50 for nearly two hours recently without problems.

I use the 12/20 pollacking, very sporting and light to hold all day

Charlie

·
Registered
329 Posts
i use a star plasma and an avet great combo. also use a waveblaster 12/20 fantastic sport.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts