World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
what rod, reel and line would be best for this?would i be able to use an abu and uptider or would a slosh be better?
a longer rod is Ideal for feathering as it makes it easier to swing a full house into the boat to be honest any reelwill do

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
If i'm dragging the feathers as opposed to jigging them i always bait the bottom hook,i've found that baiting the top hook sems to make little difference to catch rates.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Use a pirk or Dexter instead of a weight - it can often produce a bass or pollack!
I have often thought that maybey the bait on the bottom appears to the fish in the same way as a lure and seems like a distracted bait fish chasing shrimp or fry hence making itself look an easy meal if you think about it shrimp dont chase bait fish same with the dexters ect

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
If you have to use heavier weights, try painting the weight white. It will look like a mackey chasing brit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use a Sundridge Carp rod with a Mitchell 300 (yep a classic, had it from new too, woops shows my age :unsure:) It's ok whilst playing a full house in the water but not so good on the lift. Perhaps something a little stiffer would be better. I have used a pike plug or jig on the end and caught the odd Bass, so that works.

If your going out in your own boat, look out for Gulls, they are a dead givaway. When they are diving or swooping there will be bait fish and usually with Mackerel, some Garfish and some Bass not far behind. The baitfish will move around though, so be prepared to move too.

Always my best

Cap'n Jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts