World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, im down in Kent with work and going back up north on Monday.. So i decided today that i would get some mackerel for the freezer as my missus was going to Canterbury..

I was gonna go fish kingsdown tonight with some others but the plan all went to pot, so long story short, i ended up with no bait to fish tonight but a few hours to kill this avo.. so i would go to ramsgate to get some macks..

The wall was shut off as they were setting up some fireworks.. quickly made a plan B of where i thought i may get some.. Headed off to the spot, and sure enought, i waded out and had fry being chased around my legs by small mackerel.. put on a large mepps and didnt catch any decent sized ones, just small joeys about 4'' long.. then i thought i could catch them for livebait.. so legged it back to the car with boots full of water to get a bucket..

Went back and put on a No. 1 mepps.. specifically for the small ones.. On one cast, i thought i had hit a bit of kelp as it stopped.. so gave it a yank, then the water exploded and this bass jumped out obviously p**ssed off having a treble stuck in the corner of its mouth!! i nearly wet myself like a little schoolboy.. nearly lost it as the clutch wasnt set and i was using 8lb line and a light spinning rod.. it fought really well but i couldnt bully it due to the taclke.. anyway, got it out and was dancing around.. so excited i called my mate to let him know.. So now with about 10 joeys live in a bucket, i put a size 4/0 on and hooked one through the lip.. (on another note, joeys are difficult to keep alive in a 25ltr bucket, they were dieing quickly) I didnt have any tackle with me apart from a few rust hooks off a rig in my wallet.. so freelined this small joey about 5yds out.. within 30 seconds of it hitting the water i was hit like a steamtrain and another battle started on this light tackle.. and after about 5 mins which felt like an hour, i had another bass on the beach..

The other joeys were dead by now and the shoal had moved away so freelined the rest dead.. missed one other good bite with the remaining 9.. the one i hooked had swallowed the lot, hook and joey..

Anyway, so i went in shorts and t-shirt, not prepared, just on the off chance for macks and ended up with two bass, one 5lb8oz and one 6lb2oz.. was buzzing after that.. and on really light tackle too.. Ive got pics of the bigger one but im afraid that the smaller one was 'utilised' thanks to the hotel cooking it up for us.. Pics are on my phone so will post them with a few others later on..

Im like a dog with two doo-dahs! With no shadow of a doubt, my best shore fishing sesh since i started sea fishing..

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Nice one mate, Bass are showing in all areas at the mo, and fishing on light gear makes it 100% more intresting. Good sizes as well FF well done.

WW

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Well done. A dream session.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
its good when a sad day becomes one you will never forget well done mate and dont they eat well umm we had a few last month out of southend with ian bass and ronnie rocket

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
good result FF from what was nearly going to be a wash out you ended up with a great result bet your glad the wall was shut off lol 10/10 m8

and captain i must agree bass are one of the best eating fish in the sea m8

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
well done fella..............cracking session

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As if he would tell ????? with all the NETTERS about ????

Well done m8...:clap:
Heh thats right dev.. to be honest im startin to think with this bass fishing that maybe one mark wont produce all the time, just gotta be in the right place at the right time.. its not like bass are territorial, and the do predate all around thanet.. Last year i spent all my time chasing these marks where people had just caught the day or week before instead of taking the initiative and making my own success.. I dont mind sharing marks of course.. but not on the open forum.. Must give that skipper a call and see if fast fisherman is setting sail any time soon.. gutted to be going home tonight..

G

·
Great report and well done on the bass :)

Did you bring your inflatable down this week?
I haven't had a chance to get out in mine.

PM me next time you are down and see if we can get out somewhere.

Malcolm.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great report and well done on the bass :)

Did you bring your inflatable down this week?
I haven't had a chance to get out in mine.

PM me next time you are down and see if we can get out somewhere.

Malcolm.
Didnt bring it down.. not enough room and had a car faff too.. looking for somewhere to store it down here instead of carting it from home all the time.. wil be down again between 28th Aug and 1st Sep hopefully so defo up for a trip then if the weather is good..

G

·
The weather should be good then as the weekend before is the bank holiday..
Bound to rain then as the other half is away at another dog show :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts