World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 3 best skippers I've ever been out with are(in no particular order)
Phil Britts Blue Fox Padstow
Mikey Woods Celtic Warrior used to run out of Penarth before the barrage
Paul (Never knew his second name!) used to run the Enterprise out of Swansea
Who's yours?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
They've all been pretty good;)

Tell you who's sh1te though - Taff2 - he's bloody useless, and he's got crap taste in shoes:):)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I havent been on many trips lately but a couple stand out . Jerry oilier , Fair chance , out of dungerness who was very helpful and patient . Also Terry hill , Sea mistress , wasnt to bad either ;) .

C

·
0 Posts
I havent been on many trips lately but a couple stand out . Jerry oilier , Fair chance , out of dungerness who was very helpful and patient . Also Terry hill , Sea mistress , wasnt to bad either ;) .
I think he meant 'Charter' skippers Graham, and you did not catch anything, in fact you are the first ever to blank on a trip with me, lol, but thanks for the compliment.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Certainly some of you may not even have been born when these ‘pioneers’ were plying their trade! But the ones I remember as being amongst the best were:

Alan Dingle – an independently minded sharking skipper who operated out of Looe. He got Joyce Yallop her UK record 500lb Mako.

Robin Vinnicombe – operated the ‘Huntress’ out of Falmouth. His record of Mako Shark captures has never been surpassed.

John Truss and Ernie Passmore – joint skippers of ‘Our Unity’ that operated out of Brixham and probably did more than anyone else to develop the mid-Channel wrecking scene. (I know there’s at least one other forum member who fished with the ‘Invaders’ group with them.)

But to my mind the best in this country, without doubt, who operated out of Gosport was Ted Legg. Ted could literally turn his hand to any species and adapt techniques. He also, before he stopped chartering, had, I suspect, caught more Thresher Sharks than anyone. I can even remember we caught a 25lb Cod on one trip, fishing for the cameras of Angling Times. That, in the old format, made a centre page spread.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The 3 best skippers I've ever been out with are(in no particular order)
Phil Britts Blue Fox Padstow
Mikey Woods Celtic Lady?(I think) used to run out of Penarth before the barrage
Paul (Never knew his second name!) used to run the Enterprise out of Swansea
Who's yours?
Paul ( DAVIES) is now back in Swansea with Sea Jay 07870804852.( SEA ANGLER)

My clubmates had over 100 congers with him in one day !!

We have quite a few trips booked with him this year - cant wait.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Quite a lot of good skippers over the years, but my top man ( now sadly retired ) was Vic Evans of Sea Spray 2, out of Brixham in South Devon. He always delivered the goods, never ripped you off. If the weather was not suitable, he told you so. He earned his place in Sea angling history with his world record boat caught conger. Have been to sea aboard 44 different charter craft, No bad skippers, some better than others, but good old Vic takesthe biscuit.

15,082 Posts
Quite a lot of good skippers over the years, but my top man ( now sadly retired ) was Vic Evans of Sea Spray 2, out of Brixham in South Devon. He always delivered the goods, never ripped you off. If the weather was not suitable, he told you so. He earned his place in Sea angling history with his world record boat caught conger. Have been to sea aboard 44 different charter craft, No bad skippers, some better than others, but good old Vic takesthe biscuit.
I'll add Albert King (Sea Angler) a Tremlett 42 to the Brixham guys....What happened to him?....A top notch skipper.

·
Registered
936 Posts
One of the best skippers in Wales is retiring in the spring. Dave Axtell of
Seren y more is hanging up his T bar after many successful years of chartering.
Have fished with Dave for several years and from my experience nobody tried
harder to give a good day out. A real gentleman as well.
IF YOUR WATCHING DAVE ::: HAPPY RETIREMENT

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been out with dave he'd be in my best 5!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I went out with Paul Davies from Weymouth for the fist time yesterday and it certainly won't be the last. I haven't enjoyed a days fishing so much since the early 70s with Vic Hague on Endeavor, out of Aberystwyth

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went out with Vic good man!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
One of the best skippers in Wales is retiring in the spring. Dave Axtell of
Seren y more is hanging up his T bar after many successful years of chartering.
Have fished with Dave for several years and from my experience nobody tried
harder to give a good day out. A real gentleman as well.
IF YOUR WATCHING DAVE ::: HAPPY RETIREMENT
Good shout PP.

Always enjoyed the trips with Dave, remember his amusement when you let that guy next to you haul that blonde ray up within 6 ft of the surface and you handlined it up the rest.

How you had the nerve to claim the club ray trophy I do not know.

I hear he wants to spend more time following the Swans, there's a lot of travelling in the conference league!!

Many thanks Dave hope to see you on the 18th Nov. Hope you've restocked Swansea Bay. Any chance of the odd dogfish or will we just have to fish through those bloody cod and jumbo whiting again.:clap2:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Good shout PP.

Always enjoyed the trips with Dave, remember his amusement when you let that guy next to you haul that blonde ray up within 6 ft of the surface and you handlined it up the rest.

How you had the nerve to claim the club ray trophy I do not know.

I hear he wants to spend more time following the Swans, there's a lot of travelling in the conference league!!

Many thanks Dave hope to see you on the 18th Nov. Hope you've restocked Swansea Bay. Any chance of the odd dogfish or will we just have to fish through those bloody cod and jumbo whiting again.:clap2:
malc jones plymouth on sea angler 2

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mikey Woods Celtic Lady?(I think) used to run out of Penarth before the barrage

"Celtic Warrior" was his boat. used to fish with him all the time, top skipper used to spend the whole day with aching sides from laughing. any ideas what happend to him.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't got a clue but apart from catching me a 37lb cod me and my mate Andy Gover took him out with just the two of us after smoothies with bass rods and 10lb line and we had 48 crabs and 42 smoothies what a skipper!

1 - 20 of 181 Posts