World Sea Fishing Forums banner

121 - 140 of 180 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
:eek:fftopic: Roddy, ask Stan Ecklund who she is :eek:fftopic:

would that I knew her.
More of a slender, agile and elegant Sailfish than a grander Black Marlin.

Light tackle only eh Rog?

Marlin fishing is for the wealthy (it just needs a bulging wallet and nothing else, bulging or otherwise).
Catching a Sailfish like her requires, skill, cunning, perfect bait presentation.
And a bulging wallet.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Tom you mention John Thompson from the Medway did you also recall Dick Foreman who had the "Carol Ann" in the Medway, this was the only charter boat I have been on with its own bar, plus a pot belled stove to keep you warm during cold winters days I think Dick has long since gone, I remember some really good trips out with him during the 70s well say remember not all of them, as a little too oiled on up a few times :drunk::drunk:

T

·
0 Posts
Tom you mention John Thompson from the Medway did you also recall Dick Foreman who had the "Carol Ann" in the Medway, this was the only charter boat I have been on with its own bar, plus a pot belled stove to keep you warm during cold winters days I think Dick has long since gone, I remember some really good trips out with him during the 70s well say remember not all of them, as a little too oiled on up a few times :drunk::drunk:
I really was a youngster back then Seaspray.
I don't remember Dick, but John, his wife and his boats hold fond memories for me even if I never really caught a whole lot.

Dad would drop me down at the Quay and we'd head out into the Thames Estuary which, on his old 50' MFV, would take hours. I didn't care as the anticipation was always there and even though I only ever saw one Cod caught and had Whiting and Dabs myself, my trips were long awaited.
I remember that John served up a really nice stew or similar meal when he had the MFV. This wasn't possible when he bought his Aquastar 38 "Good Fishing", but now it only took one and a half hours to get out to the fishing grounds!

I didn't often catch too much to take home, but a few Dabs would always go down well.

Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Old thread i know but have to say Brian Joslin is top man for me, been out once a month for nearly three yrs now, never had a bad day...well a bad day for Brian is 400lb of cod !!!. Had huge catches of cod, bass, bream and the conger fishing (my favourite) is awesome, ive not had a 100lb eel yet but dont reckon its gonna be too long !

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would agree.....first time I went out with him was about 1982 (after fishing with various south coast boats catching very little)...... first drop down all rods were hooped over within a minute! I couldnt believe the quantity of big cod coming over the side..heaven.
And what a sense o humour!!
More good uns:
Barry Lingham......Jennifer Anne.........Dartmouth
Ted Cooke...........Anglo Dawn............Salcombe
Ivan Warren....Jung Frau......Littlehampton
Colin Johnson............. langstone
John Baker...................langstone
Im sure Ivan is still working, dont know about the others.
I'm also with you two on **** Coker, been fishing with him on and off throughout the years and his knowledge and ability to produce fish is like no other, had my best days on that boat. Always remember a quote from a tackle shop last year when asking what my chances are for the day - "If you can't catch a cod with him, give up!"

·
Registered
563 Posts
Learnt to fish on monthly trips with an old skipper Eddie? and his son Dave on two small boats out of Minehead. [early 70's]

then Pollacking with Barry Lingham out of Dartmouth

Had some good congering with Bill Warner on Mistress out of Plymouth

and allways enjoyed good sport with the Charters from Weymouth
Pat Carling when Richard English was his young crew
Paul whittle and his female crew
and although not everyones cup of tea we had some good trips with Chris Tett.

and some memorable comps, with my old mate Spike Spears out of Langstone.
If you read this, I hope you are well mate

As loads of people have said,
there are some that Fish well,
there are some friendly ones,
and some with good humour.

But the best have all three

Charlie

·
Registered
24 Posts
well ide have to say it was les hunkin(boat was called eileen) from mevagissey(retired now)but as a lad of 11 years old and just lost my dad my brother booked a trip out with him,what a great guy he was looked after me so well it got me hooked.that was in 1975,i caught the wreck we was fishing as well(so i thought)les said you best pull the wreck up then as your not leaving my hook in it,30 min later up came a 28lb ling i was well knackered.another great skipper i went out a lot of times with was dave fellick from liitlehampton(mfv pathfinder) top bream man and allways happy and telling great tales.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Charlie Bartlett Mikatcha Aberdyfi, great skipper with a great boat.
He certainly is - although you have to be able to stand an amount of ribbing if you mess it up :laugh:

My top three would be Charlie, Dave Roberts on AlyKat (Minehead) and Chris Caines on TigerLily (Weymouth).

Charlie because we get great fish and the delights of the baseball bat when the weever surface.

Dave because he's got the dryest sense of humour, makes fabulous sausage sarnies and (as someone mentioned) an ability to drink the Bristol Channel dry - although I did once beat him and got an AlyKat smock as a prize :1a:

Chris because he is a fish-finding god, an absolute gentleman (even when he's telling us we "fish like lesbians" - bear in mind that I'm the only girl in the group :whistling: ) and we've had some of the best times with him.

I couldn't pick one of those three as my top skipper to fish with - they're all very different, but every time we're booked out with them I still get excited.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Glad this threads still running, feel I ought to mention Geordie Dickson who in the 80's was untouchable....... but scary and the weather he used to go out in was scary too.
When i used to phone him the night before knowing that theforecast was bad .
Are we going tomorrow Geord?,... yeah it'll be alright for tomorrow.

oh sh...t!

But did we catch fish or what!!!!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Newhaven = Sea Leopard & John Goldsmith. The charter fishing club I run, South East Anglers have been going out with him for 3 or 4 years, 30 bookings a year and we stick with him. He goes the extra mile and extra hour and never takes us out to be uncomfortable - well, not unless we agree on a windy day! We book off shore and dont wind up hiding under the cliffs inshore in the wind like some, he would rather cancell.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Don't know whather it's been mentioned in the previous 14 pages but I like to mention Ted Peak ( RIP ) out of

Fleetwood on " Wandering Star ",never failed to find the fish

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll definately second that Dave! :

Andrew

PS Ive just bought a boat and am going to be trying for the skate again. Still know the general areas where we found em , but Ive been told there arent any there anymore.
Have a look on youtube under
'demise of a charter port':

·
Registered
3 Posts
my best skipper in my area (west sussex and portmouth) is rob hicken sea juicer

:fishing1:fish tremble at the sound of my name:fishing1:

·
Registered
32 Posts
.....Roger Bayzand skippering sundance.....by a mile!
sadly retired now and in australia!
....at present though, Ian Holman (Bounty) out of plymouth is a great skipper, and Rob Thompson (shogun) out of lymington never fails to put you on the fish!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Only just stumbled across this thread, some top skippers listed here and i'm sure that we all have our favourites. I notice that Barry Lingham quite rightly gets a mention but what about Lloyd Saunders??
Also from the west country one of the very first pioneers Dudley Stone and the Koh I Noor that put Brixham firmly on the wreck fishing map.
Plymouth has produced a great many outstanding skippers, JJ McVicar, Steve Barrett, John Baron, Ray Parsons the list goes on.
Someone earlier mentioned Dave Hunkin from Mevagissey, Ive fished often with David, his father Les and grandfather Bernard. All of them had a knack of finding top quality fishing. Also from Mevagissey Colin Williams back in the 70 and until recent times Martin Carrington on the Aquilla.
Just a thought....

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
going back a long way

peter bucherette rye

john simcox herne bay

dave chamberlin deal

tim berry dover

the worst some old deaf twit from ramsgate that nearly got us taken out by the hovercraft in thick fog in pegwell bay in the early 80's :shutup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
:victory:
Newhaven = Sea Leopard & John Goldsmith. The charter fishing club I run, South East Anglers have been going out with him for 3 or 4 years, 30 bookings a year and we stick with him. He goes the extra mile and extra hour and never takes us out to be uncomfortable - well, not unless we agree on a windy day! We book off shore and dont wind up hiding under the cliffs inshore in the wind like some, he would rather cancell.
have to agree with pedro i have never had a bad day out with john i have had the odd day when i blanked but never a bad day good mates good boat good skipper:victory:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone recall Geoff Buggins from Rye in the 70's early 80's. Have a feeling that after buying a new boat (Top Notch?) he moved out to Portugal.

121 - 140 of 180 Posts