World Sea Fishing Forums banner

141 - 160 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
ONLY ONE PERSON MENTIONED THE GREATEST SKIPPER EVER
JOHN RAWLE ON THE DAPHNE CAROLE OUT OF BRADWELL!!!! (AND FLORIDA TOO)
Has had sooo many record fish to the boat both here and in Florida
He has been booked solidly for the past 15 years now- you never see a john rawle advert- he doesnt need them.
Ask some true fishing celebrites (chris tarrant, john wilson, des taylor, keith arthur) they all regard their fishing with john as the best theyve done
He's done so many new things for fishing cant mention them all- but he has revolutionised what we do.:clap3::clap2::yeah::clap::fishing:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Charlie Bartlett - Mikatcha out of Aberdyfi;

Dave Taylor - Aldebaran out of Aberystwyth;

Andy Bradbury - Blue Mink out of Fleetwood

3 of the most genuine guys you're ever likely to meet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi by a mile Roger Bayzand sun dance Lymington ,great service the best.Jerry Oiler Dungeness as good a boat man as can be found . Neil French Littlehampton. I woud love too talk with Roger , if anyone got contack for him or can past this on . By the way John Simcox sadly died a few monthes ago .Jeff

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 3 best skippers I've ever been out with are(in no particular order)
Phil Britts Blue Fox Padstow
Mikey Woods Celtic Warrior used to run out of Penarth before the barrage
Paul (Never knew his second name!) used to run the Enterprise out of Swansea
Who's yours?
you forgot tony buzzbee on channel warrior

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have heard that **** Cocker Royal Charlotte and jim Coker Portia are the best skippers in Dover, i have tried to get on them many a time but they always seemed booked out upto 8 months in advance!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Not been out with Neil on his Spirit of Arun, but he's has been out on my boat and shares plenty of his knowledge and experience with some of us private boat owners at Littlehampton marina. He is nearly always fully booked for the year ahead which tells it's own story. He is never too busy to talk fishing stuff with you and if he treats his customers like he treates us non professional fishing guys, then I'm certain they are more than happy with his skippering. I was fortunate enough to take Neil out wrecking last March. He took me to a couple of his favourite wrecks and gave me a master class using lead heads while I stuck to the more traditional boom, flowing trace and sidewinder lures. A great day out for me having a top skipper to myself, cheers Rusty.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
glen caines valkyrie hayling island, great boat great service awsome catches, get in

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
my top 3 are
Russell Llyod leah james penarth
Colin Dukes smuggler exmouth (no longer sailing from exmouth so using Dave harrison on the gemini in dartmouth)
Andrew Alsop white water penarth/milford

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am old enough and fortunate enough to have fished from many South Coast ports and have fished with some famous and some infamous skippers. My best times have not really been about how many fish boxes we filled, but about having a good laugh!

Top of the list for me is Les Bettis, out of Newhaven. We booked his boat, My Sharon,many times throughout the eighties. He was a real character and would give you a right b******ing if you lost a fish. He would really look after novices and ignore any one who thought they could fish.

Another great character was Ray Dixon, who ran Channel Express out of Dover. Ray was an easy going guy and would put up with all our antics. Ray also worked as safety boat for channel swimmers. He made the pages of the Daily Mirror, by pulling a young swimmer out of the water, who was in tears. As he pulled the child out of the water, he also chinned the child's father, who despite the child's tears, would not let her give up the cross channel swim. That was the end of Ray's days as safety boat for the swimmers!

We booked the two above mentioned skippers on many occasions, not just for their ability to put us on the fish, but for being great characters who would dish out the banter, but also take it from us!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Dick leggett lynander littlehampton but then I'm biased as he's my uncle lol

He did a trip for a chef who was doing a report for the times on catching and cooking a conger they caught the conger within 20 minutes and headed back in took longer to cook than catch

Was also in the total sea angling magazine a few months back

·
Registered
672 Posts
Robin Vinnicombe - three times more mako's (15) than his nearest rival (5) and Andy Alsop - 57 blues in one day (beating Robin Vinnicombes 40 year record of 44). I have fished with them both and no one else has come close to their catch records.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tom you mention John Thompson from the Medway did you also recall Dick Foreman who had the "Carol Ann" in the Medway, this was the only charter boat I have been on with its own bar, plus a pot belled stove to keep you warm during cold winters days I think Dick has long since gone, I remember some really good trips out with him during the 70s well say remember not all of them, as a little too oiled on up a few times :drunk::drunk:
I fished with John in the Medway often, and successfully but after marriage mortgage and kids I had to stop. Many years later I was sent to Jersey on business, and saw Johns boat in the harbour at St Helier. I convinced my work colleagues to join me on an evening conger fishing. We had a great time, & John was a brilliant skipper. I also fished often from mevagissey, first with Bernard Hunkin, then his son Les. Both brilliant (but sarcastic!) skippers especially Bernard. Sorely missed.

·
Registered
23,716 Posts
I fished with John in the Medway often, and successfully but after marriage mortgage and kids I had to stop. Many years later I was sent to Jersey on business, and saw Johns boat in the harbour at St Helier. I convinced my work colleagues to join me on an evening conger fishing. We had a great time, & John was a brilliant skipper. I also fished often from mevagissey, first with Bernard Hunkin, then his son Les. Both brilliant (but sarcastic!) skippers especially Bernard. Sorely missed.
The hunkin family still fish out of meva! Dave hunkin runs the Bessie vee! Rumour has it that les said "if you want a mako fish right under the cliffs"

Reactions: Bob tucker

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Best skipper I ever been with Geordie Dickinson. Plymouth he was light year ahead of everybody else went to a wreck on a 24 hour trip to pick up ling. we had over 250 ling lots over 30 biggest 47. . Use to fish some wrecks on the french side when we did Channel Islands. I never seen cod and coal fish like. . Top top man

·
Registered
23,716 Posts
Best skipper I ever been with Geordie Dickinson. Plymouth he was light year ahead of everybody else went to a wreck on a 24 hour trip to pick up ling. we had over 250 ling lots over 30 biggest 47. . Use to fish some wrecks on the french side when we did Channel Islands. I never seen cod and coal fish like. . Top top man
what was his boat called?? You were lucky to go out in the best days mate!! I am trying to remember the name of the boat,I think it sunk but everyone was saved?

141 - 160 of 180 Posts