World Sea Fishing Forums banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would have to agree there, fished with him for the first time this year he certainly knows his stuff. Probably has the slowest, oldest boat in the fleet but knows the area he can cover like the back of his hand, a true gent too.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Artillerman And he later boat. Was c cheetah. . It’s was 2011 when we had all the ling and cod but fished with him in his bay days in the 80s

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I fish with very good skippers over the years
colin. Dukes ex mouth smuggler 111
Lloyd Saunders Dartmouth salt wind of dart
chris tett Weymouth
paul whittle Weymouth offshore rebel
ted From salcombe Anglo dawn
barry Hoskins Plymouth crafty k

all very good. But none of them where anywhere near Geordie. The special one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would have to agree there, fished with him for the first time this year he certainly knows his stuff. Probably has the slowest, oldest boat in the fleet but knows the area he can cover like the back of his hand, a true gent too.
Sadly Dave Adams passed away a few years ago. But I believe Torbay Belle continues under new management. Dave was a personal friend and an absolute gentleman, he was also the "benchmark" for all Langstone skippers to aspire to - past and present (probably)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow - had no idea he was still going. It was 1973 we first had a trip with him. Went to the Spoil ground S. of the Nab (I checked my log - could even tell you what we caught but that would be just too sad!).
Anyway, that was 34 years ago and I'm guessing he was 30 then, absolute minimum, prob more like 40. What a career - I bet his autobiography would be a good read if he ever writes it.
Cheers
Sadly Dave passed away a few years ago, but the Torbay Belle continues. I also be fished with him during the 70's and early 80's, Dave was an outstanding skipper and a good friend.

·
Registered
20,191 Posts
The 3 best skippers I've ever been out with are(in no particular order)
Phil Britts Blue Fox Padstow
Mikey Woods Celtic Warrior used to run out of Penarth before the barrage
Paul (Never knew his second name!) used to run the Enterprise out of Swansea
Who's yours?
;) Trouble with opinions like this is that not all skippers are to every ones taste. Some can be great at catching fish but they fall well short in customer care, having a sense of humour, telling porkies, terrible tea maker and down right rude to name a few faults. I've been boat fishing and had my own boat but I can honestly say that in over 50 years of boat fishing from plaice and bream fishing to sharks and congers there aren't many that tick all the right boxes, but then I doubt if I'm perfect too. ;)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I
Colin penny Weymouth
Another vote for Colin Penny - Flamer IV - Weymouth. A very experienced skipper and a very genuine bloke.
Malc Jones - Sea Angler 2 - Plymouth is very good too.
I haven't fished aboard Crusader in Plymouth with Kev Lavis but he has an excellent reputation and posts some fine catches on this forum. PH

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Rob Rennie of Cardiff Milford.

loves his sharks. Always puts you on the fish great food.

I’ve not been out with him for a while as I run my own boat but he still got a good reputation :)

·
Registered
23,716 Posts
this was Geordie. first trip on his new boat which I was on fishing like I never witness again sheer class
Proper job!!!

Reactions: x525

·
Registered
331 Posts
Haven’t had the privilege of fishing with some of these last skippers in the thread who were obviously experts in their field. But I have been out a lot with Kevin Mckie of Size Matters in recent years and Iv never seen anyone so keen to get his anglers on the fish. Absolute quality experience and boat.

·
Registered
23,716 Posts
Haven’t had the privilege of fishing with some of these last skippers in the thread who were obviously experts in their field. But I have been out a lot with Kevin Mckie of Size Matters in recent years and Iv never seen anyone so keen to get his anglers on the fish. Absolute quality experience and boat.
My father used to fish with Graham Hannaford on size matters years ago! Is it the same boat?

Reactions: Hsoj

·
Registered
23,716 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Saw it went miles to fish for stuff in the "Celtic deeps"???
I don’t know for sure on that trip where they went I think through there and beyond. A lot further.
I was a big trip with him a west of the Isles of Scilly when we had 12 sixgills.

·
Registered
23,716 Posts
I don’t know for sure on that trip where they went I think through there and beyond. A lot further.
I was a big trip with him a west of the Isles of Scilly when we had 12 sixgills.
Those sixgills are beasts!

161 - 180 of 180 Posts