World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi lads,

im after a spinning/pugging rod and reel for bass, pollock and wrasse. what sort of makes would you use if you had £100 to play with.....

im new to this sort of fishing (rock mainly) so any tips would be great too.

Jamie

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
wow.... the range is vast and you,ll find that everyone here will have there own combination. i personaly have 3 different combinations to suit differing situations and species.

dont go for the cheapest and there is absolutely no need to go for the very best.

get a medium spinning rod casting up to 50 grm and not too short. 10ft min.

a 45 or 50 sized fixed spool reel. okumas are great for the price so are some of the penns.

you could even possibly pic up a penn combo with some of the above specs.

some will say get a carp rod and i have a couple i use but they are not designed for holding for long lengths of time and most have a soft through action.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Jamie take a look at the Shimano Beastmaster or Exage travel spinning rods. It won't be too long before you appreciate having a rod that you can fit into a suitcase or pull out of the boot of the car to do a bit of fishing wherever you may be.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I just got my self a shimano Callisto 100 bait runner for £40 of fleebay and have to say what a reel. I have always used fixed spools (Shimano gte and re) and they were great but having tried the bait caster they are much better (my opinion). They are so light it’s a joy to hold rod in the hand for hours, even though the fixed spools aint to heavy, hours and hours of spinning can make the arm ache. I always felt that my rod wasn’t balanced at all with a fixed spool due to weight. I will take a photo of set up. As for a spinning rod I would say a Ron Thompson kamikaze are great for the price and I was recommended to get one of some dude on T.V who posts on here not to hard to guess. A real slim rod that will make plugs etc work and I believe the chap who recommended them to me used them in Ireland for bass.

This is my Ron Thompson kamikaze with shimano bait caster which I will use for spinning for Pollack, bass macky etc nice and light and casts a dream.

This is my second outfit (Maver Tica) which I mainly use for wrasse as its stiffer but not to stiff and gives more control when stopping a diving fish heading for the rocks. Its classed as a heavy lure rod so will be also good for throwing big plugs etc if thats ur thing, not sure if you can still get them, only got mine last year but aint seen any others about a beauty of a rod.

bottom rod is heavy one for wrasse

its hard to see in pics but rod blanks are totally different and behave in totaly different ways. i like a stiff ish blank for wrasse but a one with flex for spinning. Hope this is some help.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I've got an Abu spinning rod (sorry can't remember which one!) it's red and is brilliant. It was around £60 10yrs ago and you can feel everything the lure is doing and when it hits things in the water so well and that's not even using braid.

I would defiantly go with Shimano reels as they have proved themselves to me with years of abuse and no cleaning - should really clean them though but i'm lazy!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
forgot to say that I mainly use carp rods for spinning as can cast further and they have a longer reach over rocks etc. . . you can get cheap carp rods that aren't through action and are more tip to middle.

I've used my Abu spinning rod for boat fishing too and it's great for catching whitting etc!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Jamie take a look at the Shimano Beastmaster or Exage travel spinning rods. It won't be too long before you appreciate having a rod that you can fit into a suitcase or pull out of the boot of the car to do a bit of fishing wherever you may be.
Yea the exages are brilliant, I use a 270mh and its amazing. I'll probably be getting a beastmaster nearer summer too, something a bit heavier. You won't believe how handy a travel rod is! It will turn you off 2 piece rods though! :D

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Yep agreed I've got the Shimano Exage STC 2.75lb test curve and it's grand! Used it in Ireland to catch Wrasse with hardbacks up to 5lb and Pollack up to 2lb. It casts a long way too!!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Yep agreed I've got the Shimano Exage STC 2.75lb test curve and it's grand! Used it in Ireland to catch Wrasse with hardbacks up to 5lb and Pollack up to 2lb. It casts a long way too!!
Thats what I use my 270mh for, mostly wrasse and pollack but it copes brilliantly with almost anything you can throw at it! I've had pollack to 3lb and wrasse to 2lb 12oz which I lifted (yes lifted!) clear of the water with the rod up about 6ft rock face! It also launches a 28g wedge into next week! :fish:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Mike Ladle 4Sure Spin and either a Shimano Stradic 4000 GTM-RA or a Daiwa Laguna 4000. A bit over budget but a beautiful combo that has planty of power and guts, plus is also mobile! I use mine with either 20 or 30lb berkley whiplash and i have managed bass to 4lb8oz, wrasse to over 3lb and pollack to nearly 7lb on it. i think that Mike Ladle even caught a 30lb pike on the rod whilst field tesing it. I do a lot of spinning and have had quite a few rods, the Daiwa Whisker 10-50g is a nice rod and you can pick them up for around £50 on eBay, the Masterline Powerhead plugger would also suit your style as it can handle bigger leads and even floats. The 4Surespin is my first choice though and i can thoroughly recommend it.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys, i will look in to it..

Jamie

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Don't think you will go to far wrong with a Shimano combo if you can find one for the money you want to spend.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you can stretch to it a ML St Croix or G Loomis spinning rod around 8ft with a 2500 shimano twinpower is beatiful. I have a couple and they can handle flicking unweighted plastics right the way up to whacking out the larger sammys. Unless you are fishing huge boulders or off the sides of cliffs you don't really need an 11ft rod, I reckon you can cast just as far with a shorter more fast actioned sensitive rod. Most plugs productive for bassing don't weigh over 25gm so why get something that is designed to cast 60gm?

A

·
0 Posts
hi lads,

im after a spinning/pugging rod and reel for bass, pollock and wrasse. what sort of makes would you use if you had £100 to play with.....

im new to this sort of fishing (rock mainly) so any tips would be great too.

Jamie
I've got a 14' dinghy, you can have that for almost a oner,

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just bought shimano 10'/11' exage. Had go with it sunday, was great. Cast 15gm flying c great. Had go with 64gm popper was ok. £59.99 and will fit s/case. Bought shimano NEXAVE 4000 RA to go with it £36. Think good match, had a go with 5000/6000 size reels thought they bit to big. Holds most of 300yd spool of 30lb whiplash-pro.£17.50 little over budget but good gear. Bought rod from glasgow angling center was passing they match price from gerrys. Wiplash pro on offer at gerrys, reel came from John norris penrith greedy b------s but at £36 not worth bother of shoping price.
Only down side to weekend was salmon fishing, river great height 19 fish for two days. Blackie nowt. !!!

p.s Forgot bought poppers from here, Great price looks good gear,was here in couple days so good service.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'd be with Hibbdog on this one, the best setups are the US style palmable multipliers and shorter rods.

Personally I'm looking at a Abu Revo STX soon from the US, it's a great time to buy with a weak dollar so the prices are deadly.

Try www.tacklewarehouse.com, have a look at the different stuff they do.

You'd buy some nice stuff for 200 dollars on that website which is about what your 100 pounds will translate to at the moment.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Shakespeare Salt MPV or Spin or a Shakespeare Odessa Flattie or Bass would be the rods i would go for. Perhaps an Abu Esprit or a Premium bass would be good aswell. All the above rods are in the 1-4oz casting bracket and in £35-50 catgory price class and have plenty of guts for bigger pollack and wrasse, and also can double up as a second light beachcaster if neede to. As for reels the Daiwa Regal X 4050 BRT and Okuma Interceptor IBF50 are both good baitrunners for around £30. If you prefer a multiplyer an Abu mag elite 5500CT C3 or Daiwa 7HT would fit the bill but i would strongly advise going for a fixed spool with a baitrunner. You could get a good second hand Shimano 6000 baitrunner of eBay for around £30 sent, but if you are willing to spend another £20 that should see you get a Shimano 6000 GTE-B with one o f the above rods.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Shimano Exage for me, cant remember model but it's 4 pce, fits in a suitcase and will lob a dexter to the horizon!

I use it for allsorts including spinning, surface feeding carp and some pike plugging when i get chance. Awesome rod with loads of power.

My only complaint is its not particularly well balanced and the arm does ache after a few hours.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts