World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I’d start a new thread about the above. Now it could be a pb, a session of a lifetime or even just witnessing a catch.

I was chatting on another thread with rekamdor about boat owning. It wasn’t till he mentioned Dunbar, that the old memories kicked in.

This one comes to mind, purely because I can’t remember 2 better drops ( in succession)off a boat. We were fishing the rough ground off Dunbar in a charter.
I had my usual cod rig on, when I’m not fishing a running ledger.
It’s basically a 2 hook flapper ( above the weight).
I used size 3/0 and 6” luminous muppets( plastic squid) on each hook. I put a bead on the line that goes up the muppets head.
My bait of choice was lugworm, ragworm(always) and squid. I also noticed the skipper had cracking big mussels( note the spelling) oh and it was such a gay day;). I took about 10 big mussels out the bucket at the back of the boat.
I always put the luggies up the line, then thread the raggie onto the hook then tipped with these mussel, through the the black tongue twice.
The muppet sits over the luggie and its a slow controlled drop to the bottom.
I see boat anglers holding their rods perfectly still and maybe twitch now and again to see if their snagged.
I will always put movement in my tip small taps. Then a drop to find the bottom if I’m drifting, I believe doing this can entice a bite.
In a choppy sea the movement of the water does it for you, that’s why folk can catch pollack when their not moving the bait.
Anyway I’m digressing, my first drop as I was raising the tip was a 4lb cod, not a bad start.
I noticed that a few ling were getting landed, on straight squid. I thought about putting a slither of mackie onto one of the hooks, but I didn’t bring any!!
Next drop, id hit the bottom, gave it one wind to take it off the rough ground and then bang!
Tip doubles over and my reel was giving line, managed to eventually stop it and gain the line back with steady pumps. Nice double figure ling surfaces, weighed at 11.5lb, well chuffed.
Photo taken and released, could feel the stares on the back of my neck from my fellow members in the club, lol.
Next drop, virtually the same, but this time a felt the bite at the top on my lift( 1ft to 3ft).
Bang!! Rod doubles over again, the skippers net meets a 10.5lb cod on the surface.
Never had 2 drops that were 2 pbs, fantastic.

I ended up with over 100lb of fish that day, it was a day I couldn’t do anything wrong.
When they’re on the feed, what can you do, :happydance:

cheers willie

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Feel free to add you favourite days fishing or most memorable day. It would be great to hear and get some ideas of your adventures:thumbsup:

cheers willie

Reactions: Warby72

·
Registered
10,368 Posts
IMG_20190622_204754.jpg

It happened here, my secret wee tidal sea pool near Tarbert on Loch Fyne. It was a warm sunny day (far from ideal conditions) I was flicking a small mepps around the pool in hope of a Sea trout or mullet (regular visitors in the summer). Just out of shot to the left in this pic is a tree that overhangs the water, I noticed a fairly regular dimple as one of the resident "slob" brownies supped flies from the surface, it ignored the mepps, I cursed the fact that I'd left my fly gear back in the house. As I was rummaging in my bag for an ever smaller lure I found a size 10 CDC emerger caught in the lining. All of a sudden I had a plan.! Off came the mepps, I added 18ft of 3lb mono as a leader, took a risk and double knotted it every 3ft in the hope this would "catch" the very gentle breeze and act like an old school dapping line. So there I am stood on a bit of rock, waving a spinning rod about the place trying to get this rig airborne. A slightly harder huff of the breeze saw everything come together, out went the line, the fly kissed the surface, up came the nose and the fly disappeared. A short spirited tussle followed and there before me was my prize, a beautifully marked brownie, not big by any means, maybe 3/4lb at a push but probably the most satisfying I've caught to date.

·
Registered
24,907 Posts
View attachment 1242825
It happened here, my secret wee tidal sea pool near Tarbert on Loch Fyne. It was a warm sunny day (far from ideal conditions) I was flicking a small mepps around the pool in hope of a Sea trout or mullet (regular visitors in the summer). Just out of shot to the left in this pic is a tree that overhangs the water, I noticed a fairly regular dimple as one of the resident "slob" brownies supped flies from the surface, it ignored the mepps, I cursed the fact that I'd left my fly gear back in the house. As I was rummaging in my bag for an ever smaller lure I found a size 10 CDC emerger caught in the lining. All of a sudden I had a plan.! Off came the mepps, I added 18ft of 3lb mono as a leader, took a risk and double knotted it every 3ft in the hope this would "catch" the very gentle breeze and act like an old school dapping line. So there I am stood on a bit of rock, waving a spinning rod about the place trying to get this rig airborne. A slightly harder huff of the breeze saw everything come together, out went the line, the fly kissed the surface, up came the nose and the fly disappeared. A short spirited tussle followed and there before me was my prize, a beautifully marked brownie, not big by any means, maybe 3/4lb at a push but probably the most satisfying I've caught to date.
That place looks beautiful mate!!!! Lovely story too!

Reactions: burnie and Warby72

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the fly kissed the surface, up came the nose and the fly disappeared
Fantastic Andy, wonderfully written, ever thought about writing a book;).
Sometimes it’s not the biggest that the most satisfying. My first fish was a 5 bearded rockling off Saltcoats harbour, only about 5oz, but is hard to beat.

thanks for sharing

cheers willie

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Mine is also afloat. I'd been watching some YouTube vids by two guys from Jersey who skish and kayak in some of the largest tidal ranges in the UK. One of their observations was how sandeels and other bait fish tend to hang motionless a lot of the time with small movements now and again to keep head into the flow.
They said if you learn anything about lure fishing it should be "don't do anything"
I applied this to my kayak fishing using a weighted paddle tail on the point of the trace with a sandeel slug on a short snood 18-24 inches above. The paddle tail slowly moves with the kayak gently "swimming" and the slug horizontal in the water column, no movement apart from any swell and movement with the tide using a drogue if necessary.

On the few occasions that the weather played ball it has proved correct with Pollock around 5-7+lb finding it irresistible. It really does sort out the better fish and by adding a dropper and going down to small 3-4" slugs I have even got cod come up off the bottom to hit the tiny lures.

Last year I got my PB kayak Pollock (7-8) and Cod (6-7) both guesstimates and both on lures that were hardly moving and in 2018 I lost a fish that must have been well into double figures using those tactics just 100 yds from the beach, probably a Pollock but even a 12-20 rod and Shimano exage couldn't stop it, but I know where you live and I'll be back

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that malks, that’s 2 cracking fish on the lures. Interesting with letting the tide move the paddle tails. When pollack are involved they prefer a moving bait/ lure. I suppose when we fish with the lead head either with worm, firetail or slug. It’s a constant steady reel, if they’re chasing and you feel a bite, then stop the fish will lose interest and dive back to the depths.
We use something similar, we use a dropshot rig with the slug and put a stinger type lure with assist hook on the bottom. Small jigs just off the bottom to 10ft then dropping then repeating seems to pick the fish up.

Thanks for sharin

cheers willie

Mine is also afloat. I'd been watching some YouTube vids by two guys from Jersey who skish and kayak in some of the largest tidal ranges in the UK. One of their observations was how sandeels and other bait fish tend to hang motionless a lot of the time with small movements now and again to keep head into the flow.
They said if you learn anything about lure fishing it should be "don't do anything"
I applied this to my kayak fishing using a weighted paddle tail on the point of the trace with a sandeel slug on a short snood 18-24 inches above. The paddle tail slowly moves with the kayak gently "swimming" and the slug horizontal in the water column, no movement apart from any swell and movement with the tide using a drogue if necessary.

On the few occasions that the weather played ball it has proved correct with Pollock around 5-7+lb finding it irresistible. It really does sort out the better fish and by adding a dropper and going down to small 3-4" slugs I have even got cod come up off the bottom to hit the tiny lures.

Last year I got my PB kayak Pollock (7-8) and Cod (6-7) both guesstimates and both on lures that were hardly moving and in 2018 I lost a fish that must have been well into double figures using those tactics just 100 yds from the beach, probably a Pollock but even a 12-20 rod and Shimano exage couldn't stop it, but I know where you live and I'll be back

·
Registered
223 Posts
In 2003 I went on holiday to Loch Kishorn where I'd heard rumours of a few big fish being caught at the disused oil rig construction yard. My first session there resulted in a blank fishing into the deep water of the loch. Talking to a local that night he said I would be better off fishing in the old dry dock so I went back the next day for another try. After a few hours lure fishing and regular ground baiting with squid I hadn't had any luck so I changed to bottom fishing with some mussels I'd picked off the rocks on the way to the mark and immediately started catching small codling. The fish gradually got bigger with a couple over the 2lb mark and then another small bite resulted in something different altogether. When I struck I thought I was snagged but the snag started to move and I could feel the typical thump thump of a big cod. After what seemed like an age with the fish taking line a few times a big cod surfaced.I was a long way above the water on the dock gate and the route to the rocks at the side of the dock where I could land the fish was blocked by a very large bush. I shouted to a couple of lads fishing about 200 yards away at the other end of the dock and with some very dangerous manoeuvres we managed to get the rod past the bush and one of the lads climbed down and landed the fish. Put straight on the scales it weighed in at exactly 23lbs. When I gutted the fish it was full of the pieces of squid I'd been throwing in so the fish must have been in front of me all day while I was lure fishing.
I'd been a cod fisherman for 40 years and spent countless freezing winter nights in rough conditions catching a lot of cod up to over 16lbs but I'd given up on catching a 20 from the shore but I'd finally done it on a hot and sunny day in July! My urge to go out on cold winters nights just about ended that day and I moved on to some new targets.
iimage057.jpg
iimage080.jpg
DSCN2720.JPG

Reactions: McPud

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That’s an absolute lunker!!
It’s a good job you picked up they mussels. I’ve always thought for cod in particular, there’s not much that gives that amount of scent out. Them and cockles should be higher up on the cod baits.

Never fished that far north west, although I have heard of a few fishing loch carron.
I suppose if I caught one like that, it would never be off the forum, bit like mizgit cod;)

I think it would be rare to beat that off this coast, not impossible. But you could go out every day in winter for the next 20 years and still no get one even close.

Great report and thanks for sharing

cheers willie

In 2003 I went on holiday to Loch Kishorn where I'd heard rumours of a few big fish being caught at the disused oil rig construction yard. My first session there resulted in a blank fishing into the deep water of the loch. Talking to a local that night he said I would be better off fishing in the old dry dock so I went back the next day for another try. After a few hours lure fishing and regular ground baiting with squid I hadn't had any luck so I changed to bottom fishing with some mussels I'd picked off the rocks on the way to the mark and immediately started catching small codling. The fish gradually got bigger with a couple over the 2lb mark and then another small bite resulted in something different altogether. When I struck I thought I was snagged but the snag started to move and I could feel the typical thump thump of a big cod. After what seemed like an age with the fish taking line a few times a big cod surfaced.I was a long way above the water on the dock gate and the route to the rocks at the side of the dock where I could land the fish was blocked by a very large bush. I shouted to a couple of lads fishing about 200 yards away at the other end of the dock and with some very dangerous manoeuvres we managed to get the rod past the bush and one of the lads climbed down and landed the fish. Put straight on the scales it weighed in at exactly 23lbs. When I gutted the fish it was full of the pieces of squid I'd been throwing in so the fish must have been in front of me all day while I was lure fishing.
I'd been a cod fisherman for 40 years and spent countless freezing winter nights in rough conditions catching a lot of cod up to over 16lbs but I'd given up on catching a 20 from the shore but I'd finally done it on a hot and sunny day in July! My urge to go out on cold winters nights just about ended that day and I moved on to some new targets. View attachment 1242857 View attachment 1242859 View attachment 1242861

·
Registered
39 Posts
That’s an absolute lunker!!
It’s a good job you picked up they mussels. I’ve always thought for cod in particular, there’s not much that gives that amount of scent out. Them and cockles should be higher up on the cod baits.

Never fished that far north west, although I have heard of a few fishing loch carron.
I suppose if I caught one like that, it would never be off the forum, but like mizgit cod;)

I think it would be rare to beat that off this coast, not impossible. But you could go out every day in winter for the next 20 years and still no get one even close.

Great report and thanks for sharing

cheers willie
Sorry to post here how do you post a new post on the forum

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi bud, go into the section you want to post on, it could be Wales, south west etc.
At the top right had side you’ll see post new thread, click that. You put a title in( of your choosing) then start typing what you want.
Then at the bottom it should say, post this thread, then just click on it:thumbsup:

cheers willie

Sorry to post here how do you post a new post on the forum

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How do you post a new thread
this is an example click on the icon I’ve circled
6745E3B5-21C0-47BE-BE6B-F3F426345AED.jpeg

then put a title in( the title line)
Click in the box, where the x is and type what you want to post about.
Then click on the create icon when you finished( the one circled at the bottom)
4DA86E0C-79A0-4638-81B1-82342F172B55.jpeg

hope this helps

Cheers willie

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks Burnie and Willie. I went back a few times and only had a few more cod to 5lbs but loads of coalies to 6lb 8oz.
The dock is being redeveloped now and there's no access.

Reactions: burnie and neptunes

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
loads of coalies to 6lb 8oz.
I would love to have my spinning rod up there catching coalies that size, it would be like fighting a barracuda with a light boat rod!
Your a lucky man!

cheers willie

1 - 20 of 138 Posts