World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!!

when is the best time to fish? i used to think it was as simple as "when the tide is in" but im quikly learning that its not as simple as that.
i have read in magazines things like "we fished the last two hours of the ebb and the first one of the flood" so this means that fishing at low tide is also acceptable.

through reading stuff i have found that it might depend on the species you are targeting. when they feed, play, move etc.

any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

PS does anyone fish at portencross near irvine on the west coast of scotland??? any info/help or better marks???
Cheers

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi there , i'm a Saltcoats boy , now living in Wales,I just been up to Ayrshire at easter ,fished Portencross,1 small codling, Ardrossan was a blank ,i had a small flattie at Saltcoats harbour,I think Gourock and the gantocks would be ok ,because you are in to deeper water ,but Largs always was quite good and Fairlie shorefront for flatties fished with cocklesand lug cocktail . I miss Scotland!.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the info! Sorry to hear that your missing Scotia but ive read and heard lots about the great shore fishing to be had in wales. :D
i blanked at Portencross two weekends ago and last weekend fished the peir at Helensburgh (blanked) and moved up the Gare Loch and fished the last few hours of the ebb at Loch Long (also blanked) In truth ive not caught anything since last summers mackerel fest!
ive since heard about a great spot on the other side of the Gare Loch where your fishing into a depth of 50m+ so im looking forward to that.

thanks again and tight lines!

mcvicar

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Portencross is never very good, but if you know how tand when to fish you can catch. From october-june there are numberous tiny fish about, fish size 4 hooks very close in for haddock, whiting, coalies, codling and pollack, but i stress these are babbies! in the summer months find rocks jutting straight towards the water and fish ragworm for wrasse, you can get them up to about 2lbs. from the pier casting 80m or so slightly to the left finds 3-4 dogfish a session, but the pier comes alive in july-september for mackerel in the evenings. Aim for a high tide about 8-9pm, slight winds and you should make a killing for the mackies, 3hook rigs with those small red-tube lures on, size 4 hooks and a large 2oz wedge spinner as a weight is what I use and I can ten times more than the other folk! Watch out though, there are a lot of idiots down at this time and wearing a bike helmet might be a good idea. Im from west kilbride, the next town over, so have fished there hundreds of times over the years!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts