World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion which have you had the most results, LOW OR HIGH TIDE ? / ON THE WAY IN OR OUT ?

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Depends very much on the type of venue. Shallow surf beaches often best either side of LW in my experience. Steep-to ones better towards HW. But my best local codling of 6.5lbs (good un for N Cardigan Bay coast) came on the 4th hour of the ebb on a steep-to beach that becomes a shallow surf one at low water. I only knew I had a chance of getting one because the night before I'd lost a good fish at the same time of the tide, and reeled in a 6-inch rockling that had swallowed a 3/0 Viking hook. Therefore, a larger fish had attacked it as it swam by at that stage of the tide, obviously looking for big snacks. So, next night as soon as I (deliberately) got another wee rockling, out it went as a livebait and BINGO!

Key to it all is get out there, fish as often as possible, watch what happens, keep notes and whatever patterns emerge, follow them and you will catch fish :)

I hope that helps - it has helped me more than any book money can buy. The marine environment is the best book there is - enjoy the read, I know I have!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice, I know that getting out there alot will explain all, I am new to this sport and trying to pick up as many pointers as possible.

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Some beaches can fish high or low fella as well as in between so as mentioned get out there and give it a go. ps just because a mark is classed as a high or low water mark doesnt meen you wont catch fish at the opposite the beach is meant to fish its best.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
i agree with you there paul, benn to a certain beach that most regard as a low tide venue, twice at high tide and seen bass, big flounders and the odd turbot. if you have good bait and the fish are there you have a good chance of catching. don't not go to a venue because 'some' people say its a so and so beach!! very often they are wrong:secret:

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Thanks for your advice, I know that getting out there alot will explain all, I am new to this sport and trying to pick up as many pointers as possible.

Cheers

Lee
Lee,

The discovery bit, which never ends, is what is so fantastic about fishing! I started ages ago, and I learn each time I go to the sea :)

Cheers - John

·
Registered
73 Posts
2hrs b4 & after sunrise, 2 hrs b4 & after sunset. moonrise and moonset and if ya can get these times to coincide with high or low tides and springs and a change in local weather then you should be laughing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts