World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After last week where I missed out on a good few hook ups and yesterday where I had a nice fish on who charged to freedom as I tried to hand line him onto the rocks, I am looking to change trebles on said standard gunfish 115.

ayone recommend a size and type that they like to use?

thanks in advance for your help.

WSF Primary Administrator.
Hi All,

After last week where I missed out on a good few hook ups and yesterday where I had a nice fish on who charged to freedom as I tried to hand line him rocks, I am looking to change trebles on said standard gunfish 115.

ayone recommend a size and type that they like to use?

thanks in advance for your help.
I have been using the VMC hooks for a few years now but not totally convinsed about the rust proofing on them as they are just plated and this tends to come off when you run them round a split ring.
Got one of those feed shallow lures from Mick and like the look of the hooks on them but I dont know where you would get them from.

Registered
The hooks on the Feed Shallow look good and will be fine for most bass, but when a big one needs bullying they can snap. The hooks on your Gunfish are probably not saltwater hooks, but they might be if you bought saltwater Gunfish. Anyway, the best hooks I have found that do not spoil the lures movements at all are Decoys, they are fairly saltwater proof, in other words if you give them a slight rinse they last for a whole season at least. If you don't rinse them they will do the best part of a season anyway. If you cant find them in your local tackle shop let me know and i can get you some.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Guys,

I think the hooks on my gunfish are standard bronzed ones, Im not totally blaming them on the lack of hooks ups and lost fish but some how I cant help but think they are not quite up to the job, paranoia on my behalf!

Mrfish, I'll send you a PM, those hooks sound just the business!

Registered
Heard bad reports of owner st 46 hooks -no good for big bass from rough ground. Tackle house should be armed with owner -not sure which one (depends on lure anyway). The owner st 66 4x is the one for stopping big bass in their tracks, apparently -more weight will alter lure action though.

WSF Primary Administrator.
Heard bad reports of owner st 46 hooks -no good for big bass from rough ground. Tackle house should be armed with owner -not sure which one (depends on lure anyway). The owner st 66 4x is the one for stopping big bass in their tracks, apparently -more weight will alter lure action though.
I have found that changing hooks does have an effect on how the lure works,I think the same size hook maybee having a heavier gauge wire is probably why this would be so,making it heavier.
Dont some lures have silly hooks on them.

Nick.

Registered
I have to agree here, the Owner st 66 is a very good hook and extremely sharp, tend to hook myself more than the fish with it, lol. However they do tend to be heavier than your standard hooks. Not done much plugging since i've changed them so cannot really give any feedback on whether they have changed the action of the lure.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyway, the best hooks I have found that do not spoil the lures movements at all are Decoys, they are fairly saltwater proof, in other words if you give them a slight rinse they last for a whole season at least. If you don't rinse them they will do the best part of a season anyway. If you cant find them in your local tackle shop let me know and i can get you some.
Ordered some of the decoys from Mr. Fish earlier, great service :thumbs:

Be aware though, he is such a subtle sales man and he does not push it on you, but you still end up buying something else :) (worse if you are sitting at your screen while ordering)

I ended up with a Patchinko (it would have been rude not to lol) and had I stayed on the phone longer, I dread to think what would have happened with mentions of Tenryu's and the like :laugh:

cheers Mick :thumbs:

Registered

Its funny though Pisc, because virtually all the big japanese lure manufactures fit these as standard, with the exception of lucky craft who often fit the 'cutting point' version ST 41, same gauge wire though.

I guess using 4x treble (not a treble really then) in 66 gauge means the plugs lost though if you snag it up.

Registered
2 quick questions about trebles if I may?

1. How many of you flatten the barb a little with pliers, purely for the ease of removing the hook?

2. If your trebbles or jelly hooks are very rusty or even a little rusty, do the fish notice. Does it really make that much of a difference?

Registered
Bassorama I love your signature, its the best at the mo.

I noticed when I gave Henry a plug to use in Ireland it was the first thing he did flatten the barbs. I dont do it myself but I can see the reason. And as it goes for rusty hooks...never use them, its a pet hate of mine when I have a favourite plug and the hooks are going rusty, I do try and never have a rusty hook.

Registered
Cheers Mr FJ. But do you think the fish can see rusty hooks/trebles and therefore this hinders your chances of landing a nice fish?

I think I will flatten the barbs because I'm new to this game and unfortunately I made a mess of a bass's (only 1lb) mouth when removing a really awkwardly hooked treble the other week. Felt a bit bad to be honest and a pal later told me I should have killed it?

Registered
i don't like trebles...but it doesn't matter because i never catch anything with them anyway

although some say Rapala hooks (VMC?) are not good, i have not had a single one rust even after being in the carribean without freshwater washing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts