World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Halfway To the Horizon
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
wondering if any could offer advice on the best way/and material to make a thumb strap for casting with a multi?
or are the ian golds ones worth buying?
thanks
PS

·
Registered
830 Posts
Used bike inner tube for years; until... I discovered beer mats, the tough neoprene type. Use the rubber side down with the neoprene side touching thumb, absolutely superb and dont wear out like the inner tubing. I nicked one from a pub in wales 2 years ago and still using it. Mine was a John Smiths!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
For me it's inner tube until I lose it and then revert to my emergency stash of marigolds. They don't last too long, but just cut off a finger and it's a good back up!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Try a roll of fabric sticking plaster especially when fishing. Just wrap a bit round your thumb. It will stay in place, doesn't get in the way of doing anything and as it will get filthy it can be simply thrown away after a fishing trip.
Why mess about with all sorts of rubber things? A roll of sticking plaster doesn't cost much and will last a fair time. It's also useful for fixed spool users when using high inertia casts. Any sort of plaster is ok for that. It works a treat.

John

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
somewhere on this site (could be casting, could be tackle discussion) someone recommends blue cricket bat handle rubber. says it doesn't mark the mono like inner tube does (though I think someone said spool must be slipping if black rubbing off on leader).

Is fabric sticking plaster the type that's not wterproof (doesn't have any plastic in it) ?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
somewhere on this site (could be casting, could be tackle discussion) someone recommends blue cricket bat handle rubber. says it doesn't mark the mono like inner tube does (though I think someone said spool must be slipping if black rubbing off on leader).

Is fabric sticking plaster the type that's not wterproof (doesn't have any plastic in it) ?
The blue cricket bat material is very good :fish:

·
Halfway To the Horizon
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
to get a better grip on a wet spool.
just trying something new - i didnt use one before, but had a couple of slips at loch etive on last trip, resulting in less confident casting.

ordered a couple of the ian golds casting straps so ill give them ago.
PS

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The other problem is that shock leader knots have been known to rip open peoples thumb and make a real mess of it. Feathering the spool can be a bit uncomfortable to.
The usual answer to the shock leader knot is to make sure it's well to one side but some form of thumb protection is always a good idea with all high inertia long distance casting.

John

·
Registered
439 Posts
I use exactly the same setup as seancodbod, for fishing and tournament casting, I like the inner tube as well, but some go for a strip of cricket bat handle rubber.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
if you use a "thumby" don't make the mistake I just did - had the Mustad finger cover (chamois/rough leather on side nearest spool, elastic on the back of my thumb) and decided when lead was about a hundred yards away to 'feather' the spool so I wouldn't have so much to wind in.
the thumby covered too much of my thumb to get bare skin against the metal (spool rim) and I inadvertently gently pressed the material down onto the mono - boy what a birdsnest !
knife job ! Worst backlash I can remember getting for a decade or two . LOL !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts