World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6,333 Posts
Looked a fantastic day out.

I have watch a good few seasons of wicked tuna over the years. Those guys, made them look like amateurs. 4 hook ups and 4 that would have been landed.

Theres some serious money to be made in that game.
What are the reasons that the uk can’t land any?

Great boat with a fantastic set up. Plenty of space for fishing too.

Big well done!

· Registered
12,668 Posts
I was quite surprised to see the boat stopped when you had those fish coming to the boat (alongside) , Have you tried keeping the boat moving forward for quicker easier handling and releases ?
Fantastic to see you getting the the opportunity to target them, great fish.

· Registered
2,001 Posts
Looked a fantastic day out.

I have watch a good few seasons of wicked tuna over the years. Those guys, made them look like amateurs. 4 hook ups and 4 that would have been landed.

Theres some serious money to be made in that game.
What are the reasons that the uk can’t land any?

Great boat with a fantastic set up. Plenty of space for fishing too.

Big well done!
The UK now has a small BFT quota thanks to Brexit. There is a catch and release program running (CHART) at the moment to tag BFT and understand more about the population in UK waters. There are a number of skippers who have been trained in how to handle BFT correctly, tag and release. BFT can only be targeted by anglers from these CHART authorised vessels.

The assumption by the authorities is that there is a small possibility that a BFT will die as a result of this program. Therefore the quota has been applied to this program and NOT to any commercial landings or other anglers.

· Registered
6,333 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
Really appreciate it.

cheers willie

The UK now has a small BFT quota thanks to Brexit. There is a catch and release program running (CHART) at the moment to tag BFT and understand more about the population in UK waters. There are a number of skippers who have been trained in how to handle BFT correctly, tag and release. BFT can only be targeted by anglers from these CHART authorised vessels.

The assumption by the authorities is that there is a small possibility that a BFT will die as a result of this program. Therefore the quota has been applied to this program and NOT to any commercial landings or other anglers.

· Registered
1,791 Posts
Fantastic sport Stu.

We see tuna off the IoW several times a year but never had a hook up, probably because we don’t target them. I think we’ll see a lot more tuna in UK waters in the coming years.

You’ll enjoy those memories for ages!

Paul

· Registered
12,668 Posts
For survival rate testing we had a program using satellite tagging, hopefully this will be something they introduce in the UK. Hopefully those fish over there are at least tagged if its in the name of research.

· Registered
4,189 Posts
For survival rate testing we had a program using satellite tagging, hopefully this will be something they introduce in the UK. Hopefully those fish over there are at least tagged if its in the name of research.
there is a satellite tagging program ongoing it’s part of CEFAS. Waiting for a weather window to hopefully get out as crew and get tagging.

it’s great to see so many boats working together to get as much data as they can.

· Registered
12,668 Posts
there is a satellite tagging program ongoing it’s part of CEFAS. Waiting for a weather window to hopefully get out as crew and get tagging.

it’s great to see so many boats working together to get as much data as they can.
Tuna are the one species where all boats share info on over here. The fact they move so quickly means any boat that finds them will share the location, which is great for saving fuel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts