World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some pics as promised a few days back from my trip to Hamniedet a couple of weeks back...

16lb coalfish for my dad. He later had a 25 but I was not with him for that so no pic atm. We had a few around the 13-16lb mark.

First Halibut of the trip very early on day 1. 26lb for Terry.

First of a run of big fish in quick succession on an exploratory trip to a new area. Note I was alone in the boat for these and haven't got used to smiling to a camera on a timer yet. I am used to a person the other end. 32lbs Cod...

33lb Halibut... not easy to hold when I have 10s between pressing the button and then wrestling with the fish to hold it for the pose. Man they are strong!

33lb Cod.... Note these were pretty much one after the other with the odd high teen thrown in for a bit of a breather!

Almost dreading dropping the pirk back down by now as I was knackered and knew I it was probably gonna be big and gonna hurt hauling it up 70m. Up pops a bloomin 51lb beast!

Believe it or not another about 40lbs followed it to the top. If someone else was with me I'm sure they could have hooked up to it and that would have been some fight when it took 6 ft from the rod tip!

Then the enemy turned up so I moved off (not before having one last drop and taking another about 18lbs) so as not to give away the hot spot. Wish I'd stayed though as the place was still alive and next day there was zilch! Note the Germans (I guess) were fishing a tad light. Rather a lot of rods for 3 anglers too!

Another highlight - my first Megrim. 1lb on a 300g Pirk and cleanly hooked. It was a little greedy!

Another highlight was finding an area full if red cod. stunning to look at and great fun as only in 20-30m of water. Had then one after the other up to 10lbs. Had an 8lb halibut amongst them too which went rather well on light gear in shallow water!

One of the best non-fishing highlights - loads of puffins! Great to show us where the bait fish and therefore the big fish were! Great fun to watch and photograph too.

·
The Bush Kangaroo
2,807 Posts
amazing pics and repor there mate nice 1

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THanks. Actually the other guys on the trip were a tad jealous. THey were sitting back at base having their dinner while I stayed out and kept reporting back cod after cod to them. Done my dad's 45lb cod from 3 years previous right at the end which p'd him off immensley! Improved my PB by 15lbs which was quite a jump!

I heard a 58 was landed from Skjervoy (Troms Explorer I think) from John Wilson at the weekend. He only had a 34 - pah!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

Dave - Camera is a canon EOS 30D fitted with a 17-40L lens for the fish shots. When I was on my own, the camera was mounted on a monopod (butterflies are my usual subject) which was then fixed to the centre console of the boat with insulating tape and then the camera set on 10s timer.

See the setup in this shot below. I hope there are no laws about driving no hands out there!

The Skervoy boat and puffin shot were taken with a 100-400L lens fitted.

Here's a few more shots from the trip. I had to remove some of these from the original post due to their being a limit on the number of images in a post.

500g pirk taken by 1lb coalfish which is then taken by 51lb cod almost instantly... Alas the cod was deep hooked so I had to take that back for food. Incidentally all the other fish in the first post were returned alive with the exception of the 16lb coalfish. It was very badly gassed up despite only being hooked 20-30m down.

Some more scenery...

And more...

More...

Dunno what these birds were. Juveniles I think. They didn't fly just ran across the water. Quite a sight as there were quite a lot of them!

The real fisherman's friend.

Razorbills were also good indicators of what's down below.

And if the fish pushed the bait fish up really shallow the gulls got in on the act too.

Even in the Arctic there are butterflies. Just a shame I didn't take the right lenses to do them justice!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
There's not a lot more to add - stunning scenery, brillant photographs and superb fish! BTW what camera were you using?
Dave
lol

You know, I was going to ask the same question, I was thinking quality which ever flavour, I use Nikons in my work, not too sure really ? A wild stab in the dark.......Canon high end

Alan

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hehe as I understand it Germans head to Sjkjervoy and take everything they catch.

That is what I meant by the enemy...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Quality report and pictures. You thought you would have been happy catching all those excellent fish....lol.

Yeah your right we've fished the south before and the germans (not all of them though) take everything, and actually target the thousands of little coalies. Having said that we did meet a group or two that were just as fed up with that as us.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Must say the ones I have come across haven't been to bad. They seem to target the Wolf Fish a lot when I have come across them and don't take lots of fish really... either that or they just can't catch much!

We could have filled a chest freezer a day easily but the germans with us were nowhere near doing that after a week. They were taking perhaps 15-20 fish a day I'd say...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great report on the fishing with brilliant photos,
and we thought we had done well at skjervoy
hope this will notdisapoint you but your megrim is actually
a long rough dab it is aright eyed fish a megrim is left eyed
congratulations on the fishing Shoreliner.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hi john
Gald to see you did well, we did ok at Skjervoy but struggled a little bit at times although i did manage a 27lb coalie, but the biggest cod we had was only 22lb! Bobbage had that, we had loads of fun close in with the red cod on light gear tho, my mate had a nice haddock 7 or 8 lb but on the whole we found it harder than last year.
steve

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tus - good stuff. We had to work to find the fish some days but when we found them, we found them big time!

shoreliner - thanks for the ID. TBH I hadn't a clue what it was and Megrim was just a guess because I'd never seen one before. Did a google search when we got back and a Megrim looked similar. Looking again you are right about the eye so long rough dab it is. Never heard of one before. I'm happy as whatever it is, it's still a new species to me!

Steve - we found some days the fish easy to find, but then the next day the same place could be barren. Usually with a bit of work we could find the fish in massive numbers but a couple of days we struggled (until we sussed out to try much deeper some days). Actually we tried a couple of times at some marks out in front of Skjervoy that had been good in the past but didn't have much joy with them at all so stayed clear of places near to Skjervoy most of the trip. Had a nice wolf fish in the fog one night (that was a bit hairy!). You must have been there that night I'd think? Luckily I had a track on my GPS from the previous year top follow as I couldn't see more than about 20ft! Probably it wasn't a safe thing to go out in that but we were on holiday and wanted to go fishing :)

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
What a brilliant set pf pictures :thumbs: It a place I've always wanted to visit.....great report :D :thumbs:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Then the enemy turned up so I moved off (not before having one last drop and taking another about 18lbs) so as not to give away the hot spot. Wish I'd stayed though as the place was still alive and next day there was zilch! Note the Germans (I guess) were fishing a tad light. Rather a lot of rods for 3 anglers too!

Hello fishiee 29, that's the boat me & the Old Man rented when we were in Skjervoy, No.10 with the 40hp four stroke. A very smooth ride.

Some excellent fish there, we never managed any of that size but plenty of doubles all the same.

I think the birds you can't place are Gooseanders, friggin' nuisance on the rivers here in Yorkshire @ the moment.

Well done again on the fish, if we go back next year i'll have to try harder to land that Big one !!!!

G

·
Amazing photographs... that first Puffin shot was stunning!
Very VERY jealous of you and so longing to get out there and actually fish.

Nice to hear that TE has had a 58lb fish already, although I still claim to have caught the first fish on the boat, albeit a tiny coaly.

Good on you for the report, thanks for sharing it with us.

Tom

1 - 20 of 30 Posts