World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
ermmmm....float fish ? :p

Just kidding m8, I used to fish with poly balls when I was freash water fishing, this kept bait out of the weeds. dunno if it would work in the sea though ?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Billy222

Good question. If someone could invent something that stopped the little blighters eating the bait they be would become wealthy. On a serious note , crabs nicking bait it just one of those things. Sorry i can't be of any more help

Woodster

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Seriously the existence of crabs could be important if you're using crab bait as crabs equal FISH!

If the sea is still with little or no tidal current I sometimes fix a large float to the top of my trace which will keep the trace vertical lifting the top hook away from marauding crabs. However hungry crabs will shin up the trace! It does delay the litttle bu**ers! The rig is also very un-aerodynamic when casting.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
As usual Swellys' right crabs should = fish. in my experience (admittedly limited) if you use crab as bait it tends to slow the little sods down quite a bit as opposed to using something like worm don't know why I don't suppose it's down to squeamishness on their part :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
ive found that using peelers does seem to stop them dead, perhaps they see themselves whipped on there??? also when being bothered by crabs, i put on 2lug, whip them right down and tip off with a bit of mackeral, that will solw them down, as it is just a bigger mouthful. if you are a flattie fanatic, (c'mon, no shame, admit it!!!) then having your bait floating above the seabed could be detremential to your fishing, but i find, getting a few lug, compacting them and whipping down tight, then tipped with a firm fleshed fish, mackeral etc, will slow them down a while, but being compacted, most species can get it in their mouths.

V

·
0 Posts
crab seeking exploding ragworm's,never fail's!,or find something they don't like to eat.(if you have any success with the latter,let us all know,m8,buddy,great guy,grovel,grovel,etc) :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you're getting bothered by crabs it means that you're in the right area for fish as fish will come in to eat the crabs or to feed on whatever the crabs are eating, which with a little bit of luck will be your bait :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Another method you could try is to make your snoods using braid. I find this takes them a lot longer to nip through.
You could also try shortening the time that your bait is in the water. Start with, maybe 15 mins and then check your bait. If it has been savaged then try 10 mins etc. Some people may not agree with this but if the crabs have got there first and snaffled the bait, then no matter how long you leave your rig in the water, you wont catch a fish.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Some people may not agree with this but if the crabs have got there first and snaffled the bait, then no matter how long you leave your rig in the water, you wont catch a fish.

Well...........duh catching fish is bloody hard enough but you ain't got no chance with no bait m8. Now i just know someones going to say something about mackrel :)

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
to go on what someone said earlier,..

if you could fill a ragworm with C4,,have some sort of battery operated fuse that runs down the line from a little switch or button on the side of your reel..

when u see that familier crab pull on your line from ole Dave the crab..BOOOOOOOOOOOM!..then all his mates looking on,will see dave the crabs entrails floating around and will think, Sod this! im off!,

Therefore securing your next cast to be relatively crab free..and by blowing dave the crab to simtherines,,you have also made a nice ground bait to attract the much sort after Cod or Bass..

I smell a patent in the air chaps....im gonna be rich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts