World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ah thats so kind thank you very much mate! Il check out your site tomorrow and i will send a PM if i have any queries. Thanks mate 馃憤

Registered
I haven't got my little boat yet but wouldn't fancy catching one of these

Caught of the south west of Ireland, bigger were yet to be caught

and

I doubt any of them intended to catch sharks that huge but it can happen

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I haven't got my little boat yet but wouldn't fancy catching one of these

View attachment 1362718

Caught of the south west of Ireland, bigger were yet to be caught

and

I doubt any of them intended to catch sharks that huge but it can happen
JESUS CHRIST!!! WOW:oops: And alot of people still think we dont get sharks!

Registered
All over the coastline of Ireland and Britain including mako as well, nobody really knows whats below them until they catch one
I am waiting for the kayak lads to catch an angry mako!!!!!!!!

Registered
I am waiting for the kayak lads to catch an angry mako!!!!!!!!

Going to need a bigger kayak, far bigger. As for kayakers and anyone who cuts across my line of cast I just move elsewhere. Cowardly I know but I haven't a clue what else to do or whats right. I know you make a living from the sea and it's your right to protect where you fish or pot but for most it's going to be mayhem for those with a vested interest (livelihood) and recreational anglers including kayakers trying to avoid pshing each other off once the beaches open.

I'm chilled nobody can annoy me, I'll just find somewhere else it's a lot of water and coastline.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I thought you had to be 6NM+ To even be in with a 10% chance of getting a take from a porgie or blue, Some guys on youtube (Mostly Kayaks) are getting hookups within what looks like 1NM from shore! Thats insane! I didnt realise they came that close. I honestly thought it was a trip out and lose sight of land.

Very impressive stuff.

I wonder if they would be in my local waters of Northumberland (Cold North Sea), And if they're out there....How far out would i need to be :unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Actually, My above post doesn't seem that too farfetched....Sunderland is about 20NM South from where i fish.

Also there are loads of videos online of them swimming around the North Sea rigs,

SO THERE OUT THERE ALRIGHT!

Dont know about the distance offshore though, Do you think i would have to be atleast 6NM + out to be within a chance or would they come close to shore with plenty "Dubby" to attract them in?

Registered
Actually, My above post doesn't seem that too farfetched....Sunderland is about 20NM South from where i fish.

Also there are loads of videos online of them swimming around the North Sea rigs,

SO THERE OUT THERE ALRIGHT!

Dont know about the distance offshore though, Do you think i would have to be atleast 6NM + out to be within a chance or would they come close to shore with plenty "Dubby" to attract them in?

We used to get them take live mackerel when bass fishing from the shore off rocks in west Wales ,I think if you find areas that hold a lot of feed fish ie Mack s,pollack, coal fish even small ones in deepish water, you will find porgies,if they are in your area, heavy ground baiting/chumming works even from the shore, blues are different as they def favour deep water over 200 to 250鈥 deep, this is fact based on personal experience,not fantasy!

Registered
The Irish guys lucky enough to be able to fish on the S and W coasts benefit from deep water very close to shore and the Gulf Stream keeps the water temp favourable for sharks and tuna. There has been a tuna fishery in Donegal for many years.

The only place with really deep water close in around the Solent and surrounds is the St Catherine鈥檚 deep. And that鈥檚 where a lot of the shark boats can be seen.

Registered
Sharks come in alot closer than people think!!!

Reactions: MystyBlue2 and x525

Registered
Sharks come in alot closer than people think!!!
While spinning at oxwhich point on the gower many years ago a mate an I had near heart failure when a porbeagle about 150-200lbs beached it self on the sloping rocks at our feet! While chasing a shoal of mackerel thru a gap in the the rocks, it was about 3鈥 away!!, this occurred at dusk in an area of very strong tides and close to a tide race, this seems a common feature where porgies are close to shore.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Think i will be sensible and still go ahead with a trip to Cornwall for Blues FIRST before i jump in the deep end with big porgies locally,

Like my original post says I've only cought a hand full of tope and biggest being around the 41LB mark. Going from that to a porgie would be a bit too adventurous IMO and thats when things will go wrong and accidents will occur.

Baby steps i think, maybe next year for porgies locally and focus on 60-100LB blues this year.

Thanks to everyone thats commented and all thw help and advice given, I've taken it all onboard!

Thanks again folks i will upload plenty of pics when i get some sharks! (y)

Registered
Good luck with the sharks, as a matter of interest I looked at the area you fish on my plotter, you have hundreds of wrecks in deep water lots close in to land, if you find ones full of small coalies or pollack I would be surprised if there are not porgies on them in season, i remember

some big ones caught out of Scarborough on charter boats a few years ago.

Registered
While spinning at oxwhich point on the gower many years ago a mate an I had near heart failure when a porbeagle about 150-200lbs beached it self on the sloping rocks at our feet! While chasing a shoal of mackerel thru a gap in the the rocks, it was about 3鈥 away!!, this occurred at dusk in an area of very strong tides and close to a tide race, this seems a common feature where porgies are close to shore.
Sadly the porgies got hammered by longloners off Lundy as well as Rod and Line fishermen in the late 80s to mid 90s and are yet to make a significant come back. They are very slow growing and only give birth to 2-3 pups per year so takes a long time for stocks to recover. Maybe one day they鈥檒l be back until then it鈥檚 Celtic deeps for me :)

As for the original post it鈥檚 depthkf water you鈥檙e after, 250ft minimum for blues I鈥檇 suggest.

Blues come in big numbers. If I had less than 8-9 a day thatd be a bad day. 15+ would be a good day, that鈥檚 for myself not the boat total. Which is why you need to be organised as it can get frantic with mukiple fish on at once.... I鈥檝e had trips when of us are all into 100lb+ fish at same time so you need to be able to land single handed ideally or fish less rods....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yeah hopefully next year (After some blue shark fishing first) I can start targeting porgies locally starting early August through to late September when there are plenty of baitfish about and set a long drift North to south covering about 4NM long and drifting over the top of 8 good wrecks at around the 45m depth mark.

The water temp in the North Sea where i fish (Newbiggin by the sea) in August is about 16掳C and mackerel are in there tens of thousands with plenty of pollock and pouting on the wrecks too.

I'm really looking forward to this adventure and I'm chuffed that my boat can handle it too.

Next I'm maybe going to have to take a look at my tackle, Rods, Reels, Main line, Traces etc etc to ensure if i get a hook up, I wont be busting off or breaking rods.

Cheers folks, I do take Gopro's onboard with me so as soon as i get action i will upload for you guys to watch and have a good laugh at me being manic and bricking it haha 馃槃

Registered
As for the original post it鈥檚 depthkf water you鈥檙e after, 250ft minimum for blues I鈥檇 suggest.
^^This corroberates everything I've read or heard - Blues like 'blue water'. Porgies like rough ground & wrecks and will come in relatively close, certainly to within a mile of shore.
To the OP - you don't have to worry about being towed backwards, you've a small boat where you can easily fish over the bow shoulder and get towed forwards.

Registered
In our rib which was 300kg we had no problem taking on marlin, tuna and sharks. There are no gunnels to lean against, so the fishing is just you and the fish and nothing to lean against.

As for fish "sharks" towing a boat around, I think a few people have been watching to many Moby Dick movies!!!! Lets face it you will most likely up your drag to around 7-8kg on a good sized shark, so if your boat gets dragged backward from 7-8kg of force the boat must be extremely light, not saying it won't effect the boat but dont go worrying about being pulled miles out to see.

IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_3597.JPG

21 - 40 of 50 Posts