World Sea Fishing Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
I liked sharking so much when I was younger that I moved over here to Oz to experience more species of them. Now I prefer to drive the boat and let others catch them.

Even small things like rigging the hook so that it turns in greatly improves hookup rates.
Jon, I have just the same loops - and a pulley system to bring the fish forward, away from the props if it goes under the boat
but your hook in the pics is stiff-rigged - that surely doesnt allow it to turn freely?

·
Registered
11,119 Posts
Jon, I have just the same loops - and a pulley system to bring the fish forward, away from the props if it goes under the boat
but your hook in the pics is stiff-rigged - that surely doesnt allow it to turn freely?
The hooks are rigged that way after missing several mako's using the loose rigged method, stiff rigged went to an almost guaranteed hook rate compared to the other way. The good thing with mako is that they will swim to the boat and take a bait over and over which gives you many chances to experiment on rigging and hook size etc.

I also do a style of fishing known as deep dropping where we drop rigs anywhere from 300m to 750m+, hooking these deep water species is again almost guaranteed with the stiff rigged setup. It can take 20 mins just to free fall a 10-15lb sinker down at those depths, so making sure you get the best chance of hooking up before the long haul to the service is important.

Even targeting bronze whalers and other smaller sharks from the shore has an almost 100% hookup rate on the first hit using a stiff rigged turned inwards hook. Here we are lucky to able to test such methods on a variety of species that are in some locations all the time. Right now Im sitting in my lounge but could pretty much guarantee putting you onto a shark under 1 hr or a 150kg + stingray pithing 15mins of where I am now. There are plenty who still use the other method but I know for a fact they miss many first runs and on things like marlin that might be their own strike.

You could quite easily test this method for yourself on other fish species, even dogfish and whitting etc using mono.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I haven't got my little boat yet but wouldn't fancy catching one of these

View attachment 1362718

Caught of the south west of Ireland, bigger were yet to be caught

and

I doubt any of them intended to catch sharks that huge but it can happen
Yes we did 😉-we went for that and nothing else.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi folks i have a 14ft seahog trio with a 40hp Mercury. My biggest catch so far is a 41LB Tope...But this year, Covid depending my brother is wanting to plan a trip to Cornwall (His in-laws live there) And target blue shark.

Now i know you cant pick and choose what bites, So what if a LARGE blue or a porbeagle swallowed the bait?

Would i just cut the line, Throw my rod overboard OR chance fighting the fish of a lifetime?

Is this type of BIG fishing safe in such a small boat?

What would be the biggest/Heaviest/Hardest fighting fish you lot would SAFELY target in a boat like mine?

I dont fancy being towed 30 miles out to sea whilst being swamped from the stern as the fish is towing the boat backwards to swell.

That scene from jaws comes to mind and i dont fancy that!!

Let me know your thoughts please folks cheers(y)
This is the dream surely ?
I pray for it 😂

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
This is the dream surely ?
I pray for it 😂
I'm not wanting to target porgies.

I want to target blues hence the question, BUT i cant guarantee that i will only get blues...Im asking just incase a porgie does swallow the hook and if it would be a dangerous task to fight it or not.

Thats the beauty of fishing.....You just never know what you will hook into, And dont want to put myself in any danger. I just simply want to know a ball park figure of the boats limitations and capabilities when it comes to fighting BIG fish.

Why is this such a problem?

·
Registered
244 Posts
As with anything when your at sea you have to constantly risk assess the situation.... fight the fish and if you feel you are getting out of your depth you always have the option to cut it off.
where’s the problem??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
As with anything when your at sea you have to constantly risk assess the situation.... fight the fish and if you feel you are getting out of your depth you always have the option to cut it off.
where’s the problem??
Seen as i have never hooked onto a fish anywhere near that size or strength it would be IMPOSSIBLE to make a judgement as i have no previous experiences to compare to and make the decision wether i cut off or fight?

And if i miss-judged it, Things could turn quite nasty and end very badly...

I dont understand why its such an issue for me to ask the basic and sincere question?

·
Registered
11,119 Posts
I never felt overly comfortable in small boats using big game gear, especially with harnesses. Basically a big fish isn't going to be to much different from hooking bottom. If you hook a 20lb tope and use 10-15lb of drag there's very little difference catching a 200lb or even bigger fish using the same drag. Keep the boat moving when a big fish is alongside the boat makes them far easier to handle. Light gauge circle hooks can be handy as these can be broken making for an easy release.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The hooks are rigged that way after missing several mako's using the loose rigged method, stiff rigged went to an almost guaranteed hook rate compared to the other way.
I'll sure give it a try thanks Jon.

Mystyblue - set your drag right and you are in no danger - if you hook something that wont come in you don't have to try, just chop the line as close as possible (though I hate the thought of fish trailing line with a hook in their mush). The danger comes with a big fish when its boat-side, especially on higher drags - even more so if harnessed which you wont be. Then it can be too easy to be pulled overboard - or you forget yourself and try and grab the line/wire without gloves. I fish for them single-handed and i dont wanna die in the process.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts