World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(automatic translation of my original poster in portuguese)

The day started well on Sunday ... with few delays of all (Nabais, Richard, John, Claudia - daughter of John and me) at 8:30 ... we were browsing in Riva Bertram Sportfishing 25 of Ricardo. Nabais was hitting the drag of the gears ... until Ricardo opened the engine and was a show ... like a wild horse that boat. Those piers Olhão one day I'll visit they look really good ...
The technique chosen was the Trolling or a series of samples similar to squid behind the boat ... the samples are placed on foam mats and waves caused the boat to sail.
6 vessels were used which I think is the most common assembly in the Big Game for a boat that size with 3 Outrigger - kind of metal rods built into the boat that is used to spread best lines to increase the distance of the samples to the boat. They started the attacks of white marlin and 3 miles from shore, were so many throughout the day, and not count them. We all ... double attacks, hardware with John to grab the cane, double family - John and daughter - the fight at the same time with each one with his marlin. It was crazy situations ... we were treated by a white marlin that began leaping from the boat for no apparent reason ... that beautiful animal.

For those who do not know how the big game here's a little explanation. The Big Game (as in fishing shipped) the person who grabs the cane is only one of which contributes to the fishery for example. If the board have what it takes the boat (for me strategist fishing) to the destination and even the fisherman who grabs the cane. For the Big Game are more participants, the skipper (in our case the Nabais and Rob) - captain sailing the boat to find the best local fishing and sailing the boat after an exemplary hardware, we have members who try to keep samples in the right places or trying new strategies (in this case Nabais), we have members who collect the bait when a fish is primed (Nabais, Richard and John) and finally who grabs the cane which in our case were beginners (Rui and daughter of John).

When the fish is primed, the first thing the skipper does is speed up the boat which I believe is to try to get the hook and primed, and then you decrease the speed to collect the reeds and the man most of the bank to prepare for the fight - the fight is usually done sitting with feet.

The first happened I was away which gave me more enjoyment ... the guy had a force here that never got to pull the guy ... because the drag of the reel did not allow it ... fustrante was because I had to force the guy to line it would not stand ... when - I suppose - turned the fish into the boat should have winded the line with more speed than what I was doing or maybe pulled the cane for me (I am speculating) the result ... ... but fish unshoe I could see the strength of those monsters.

Of course, the boat would also slow down to say something ... catch up with the whiff of gasoline ... and start the nightmare of vomiting ... the first to be done well - for the pro vomiting hehehe
It was not long to go back to the chair that was the number of marlin that Ferrara and unshod.
I already have two theories (from The Emperor ) So that this happened

- Evil sharp hooks (what Nabais refused ... but ...)
- Drags a reel ... too softs that do not allow the hook stick
You can not understand many marlin and only 2 that were ... something happened ...
In the first Marlin Ricardo sent some mouths I had to be fast as there were more fishermen wanting to fish hehehe - as I explained before nor had chance to pull the animal, but I was stung ... when I picked up the chair wanted to show the staff there what was to be rough with the reel hehehe .... regards the kind of pull when the carriage stopped using the drag ... was pulling rested until it hurts ... I think twice a few seconds ... and there came the pet - a close White Marlin 30 kg - I gasped a little longer because it takes even some arm strength to deal with these pets. It gave me so much pleasure as I had first primed, but it showed that I also had luck ... the hook must have attained the kind in a sensitive area that not fought almost nothing - and then saw that this was unlikely gross hehehe

Here is the friends who took the fish in the water ... unfortunately the photographer is the worst and I have not good pictures of my fish only this

Of course one more stop ... one more session of vomiting ... the thing was to start getting ugly were no longer the initial vomiting hehehe
However we were treated by the best thing in the day a Blue Marlin for around 200 kg, the beautiful and gigantic beast ... this would be for a pro - in this case, Ricardo - but he had no time to sit on the bench ... had to see the fustration face of Nabais... came to see that these animals were not every day that they had the opportunity to get even for the pros ... the thing was in my retina I have seen - by far the best picture of the day.

Cláudia A caught a White Marlin brave who gave him lots and lots of fight ...

almost gave up already with the Marlin near the boat, but managed to find the strength to bring it to the boat ... it was necessary for two men to take the hooks were ... complicated.

It was a wonderful day it was not the 9 sessions of vomiting in the past and nearly fainted last left it to breathe and gave a blow on my chest to get back to breathe - something inside back to the right place.

(pretending that all was well hehehe )

I was a little divided or not to go back to these labors, on the one hand, I loved watching so many wonderful animals and many different situations on the other hand had a serious warning - the last session of vomiting - not to repeat the feat.
I have to thank Nabais for the opportunity of a lifetime - because these things should not be repeated often by boat to Ricardo and John for advice on the bench heheheh. In those two outings with the Nabais learned a lot of fishing as this mode of observation and asking to go to Nabais ... it was worth the whole experience and recommend. Do not forget that in three boat trips in the world only has a touch on that day ... we should have had nearly 20 touches ... one of those days was very good. That only catches who goes there.
Who wants to go in these fisheries try the fish and release to the event so that everyone can enjoy these beautiful fish.

Regards (and sorry for the bad automatic translation hehehe)
Rui

PS - The photos were taken by fishing companions ... my camara was the life this fishing ... and perhaps there may be some of the Saturday

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
Far too busy Luis, off next week, nice pics and capture by the way :punk:

Where`s my reel you Portuguese rat you :bangin::bangin::bangin:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am sure Rata was going to work better.
If someone wants a reel, better to come and get it here.
He,he,he.
Lot of small Marlins in the waters, 22 to 24 º C blue water near the coast line.
Stan, keep the rain and the wind there.

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
We can send you over some rain, got plenty here :doh: again :doh:

How close to shore is the blue wet stuff Luis ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
We can send you over some rain, got plenty here :doh: again :doh:

How close to shore is the blue wet stuff Luis ?
Keep the rain for you, thanks.
Blue????
Something like 5 milles from the coast line....
He comes to a BB Cabo Prowler in the shortrigger and the first time he comes I was not believing he was after such a small lure but, he comes back and get her.

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
Too complicated for me. Anyway, why should I learn Portuguese when Ricardo and Luis have had the good sense to learn a proper language like English :1a::1a::1a::1a:

Even Quinito and I can work perfectly happily together without a word of each others being known :bleh::bleh:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
One of our Club members recently took a two day charter out of Villamoura specifically targeting a White Marlin. The IGFA award a certificate - a Billfish Royal Slam - for those anglers who have landed 'all' the billfish species - Swordfish, Black, White and Striped Marlin, and the Pacific & Atlantic Blue Marlin and Sailfish plus ... any one of the Spearfish species. That's nine in total. Spearfish are 'rare' creatures and mostly caught by accident rather than being specifically targeted.

Well, as you'll see from the attached note, Neil finally got his White Marlin but also a 'curious creature' called a Roundscale Spearfish - a fish that I don't think is even recorded in the IGFA lists.

Hi Dave,

Yes just got back on Sunday night.

Fished 2 days only- 9th and 10th Sept

With Capt Carlos Gloria on his 35 ft Flybridge from Vilamoura,Algarve ,Portugal.

With the great Fernando as mate.

Day 1 0-1 (no fish for one strike) also very rough seas.

Day 2 3-5 White Marlin all about 60-70 pounds.

Fished 4 X 50 pounds gear,one 30.

Would have caught more if there was another angler on the boat,missed fish on triple and double strikes and nearly got spooled on the 30 pound class rod.

1-1 Roundscale Spearfish beautiful fish about 80 pounds.The cherry on the cake,so yes indeed will finally get certificate to the IGFA.

I gave myself 10 years to do it and have done it in 9. Great when a plan comes together!.

Will do you a more detailed report if you want,

Tight lines,

Neil.
So just alluding back to the Roundscale Spearfish there's an interesting (well, for me and perhaps the like of the Ravelling Tangler) thread here - http://www.big-game-board.info/engl...831-hatchet-marlin-or-a-roundscale-spearfish/ - on another forum I moderate that considers the lesser known billfish species - the Roundscale and Mediterranean Spearfish and the Hatchet Marlin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts