World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst over on the Island, I noticed that practically every angler I saw was using a fixed spool reel, they really seem to have taken over from multipliers.

I have problems using multipliers nowadays to to this dammed RA in my hands/fingers/wrists/, so I'll be changing to a fixed spool.

Now, my question is this : I have a brand new TF Gear Max Power big pit/spod reel...would this be ok to use with my Shakespeare Flattie rod? No distance casting, fifty yards or so, using 3oz leads maximum. I'm just thinking that it would save me from buying another reel. What do you reckon, guys?

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Absolutely spot on. Reels labelled big pit, spod, long cast etc will all work fine. Give them a wash off after a trip with the hose on mist and they'll last ages.
Im using a Lidls baitrunner on my flatties and it's going great after 4yrs.
I've got a daiwa emblem, a Wychwood big pit (that's looking a bit tatty but still runs fine) and some shimano ones. Second hand carp gear is a great way of picking up good stuff.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely spot on. Reels labelled big pit, spod, long cast etc will all work fine. Give them a wash off after a trip with the hose on mist and they'll last ages.
Im using a Lidls baitrunner on my flatties and it's going great after 4yrs.
I've got a daiwa emblem, a Wychwood big pit (that's looking a bit tatty but still runs fine) and some shimano ones. Second hand carp gear is a great way of picking up good stuff.
P20, thanks for that, my friend, you've made me a very happy chappy, and saved me a few quid into the bargain.

Thanks again...as usual, your advice is much appreciated.

Reactions: piker20

·
Registered
891 Posts
Whilst over on the Island, I noticed that practically every angler I saw was using a fixed spool reel, they really seem to have taken over from multipliers.

I have problems using multipliers nowadays to to this dammed RA in my hands/fingers/wrists/, so I'll be changing to a fixed spool.

Now, my question is this : I have a brand new TF Gear Max Power big pit/spod reel...would this be ok to use with my Shakespeare Flattie rod? No distance casting, fifty yards or so, using 3oz leads maximum. I'm just thinking that it would save me from buying another reel. What do you reckon, guys?

Spod reels are designed to take abuse also they retrieve on average 100cm of line per rotation of the handle

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spod reels are designed to take abuse also they retrieve on average 100cm of line per rotation of the handle
And thank you too, Kaiih...this one does seem to be a nice reel, even though it was less than £50. I did manage to buy a spare spool for it, plus a plastic tub to protect it, and an Imax padded reel bag, for well less than £75 for the whole lot.

Thank you again...

·
Registered
15,163 Posts
One point I would make is to always , always make sure the line roller on the bail arm runs freely, bits of gunge can gather on there, and if it siezes up, it could weaken the main line considerably . All it needs is a quick check.. I run a length of string twice around mine, amd just pull it end to end, of it runs freely no probs.
My main beach Fixed spools are Shimanos,and are virtually maintainance free, I do have a few older fixed spools, and occasionally on them I have to take the line roller out and give it a good clean up.Its amazing how a little speck of grit can make the line rollers grate and sieze up if you dont keep on top of them.

Dave

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use the same reel on a Bass rod for float fishing/mackie bashing, good solid reels, as is most of the TF Gear i've tried.
You're all cheering me up tonight, guys...many thanks Tim.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One point I would make is to always , always make sure the line roller on the bail arm runs freely, bits of gunge can gather on there, and if it siezes up, it could weaken the main line considerably . All it needs is a quick check.. I run a length of string twice around mine, amd just pull it end to end, of it runs freely no probs.
My main beach Fixed spools are Shimanos,and are virtually maintainance free, I do have a few older fixed spools, and occasionally on them I have to take the line roller out and give it a good clean up.Its amazing how a little speck of grit can make the line rollers grate and sieze up if you dont keep on top of them.

Dave
And thanks to you Dave...I am a bit of a stickler for maintaining my reels and rods. A quick wash off with fresh water, drop of WD40 as and when needed, hooks sharpened...that sort of thing.

Reactions: ebo

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have a couple of big pit reels and they are perfect for chucking 3oz leads. Probably could get away with 5oz as they can produce the drag. Not designed for saltwater but with a bit of care they are perfectly useable for any clean ground work.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a couple of big pit reels and they are perfect for chucking 3oz leads. Probably could get away with 5oz as they can produce the drag. Not designed for saltwater but with a bit of care they are perfectly useable for any clean ground work.
Thanks for that, ID..at the sort of price they are, even if I only get a year's worth of "occasional angling" out of mine, I'll not be in a position to complain, will I?

And...thank to all you guys who took time out to offer advice, as always, it's much appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts