World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out from Dunbar today, headed down Torness way. First drop, and on the drop, 3 mackerel. I was after pollack really and quickly put a long belly strip under a float, which I allowed to drift behind the boat. After a wee while the float bobbed under and up again. Ths is usually a sign of a wee fish that can't manage the bait and I left it. But a few seconds later the float sank below the surface for good and I tightened into a good solid fish. As I brought it closer to the boat it started diving and from the amount of line it ripped off the reel and the number of dives I thought it must be a big one. As it came into view it took my breath away, in the water it looked like the biggest pollack I'd seen.

Once in the net I eagerly got out my new digital scales which I'd bought because my cheap spring balance only weighed to the nearest 4oz and my last PB had kept bouncing it about between 9lb 12oz and 10lb 4oz. The first reading was 10lb 10oz, but it then started fluctuating wildly in a range between that weight and 9lb 3oz. I couldn't believe it and it never settled down to anything for long. Rather than keep the fish out of the water any longer I put it back while it was still alive. I was pretty sure it was my biggest pollack - it looked bigger than my ten pounder, but all I can say for sure is that it was well over 9lb and maybe well over 10. I'm gutted about the scales, which cost me at least 40 quid.

My camera is on holiday with my son so I had to use my phone, which I'm not very good with - only one had the whole fish in it.

After that I had some more pollack, only up to about 2lb, a codling of 3-4lb, and mackerel whenever I dropped sabikis over the side to top up my bait.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
thats a lovely pollack mate,well done.
cheers rab

·
Registered
915 Posts
That's a belter m8, well done.cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
[CVery nice fish,must be the year of the good pollack we,ve had half a dozen in moray firth about same size and lost a couple of bigger ones ,anyone else getting good sized pollack on east coast?ENTER][/CENTER]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well done mate what a cracking fish, is that ur own boat u wer out on?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well done mate what a cracking fish, is that ur own boat u wer out on?
Thanks to everyone who replied, and yes it is my boat Caitlin Rose, it is moored in Dunbar harbour.

·
Team Hardcore(Scotland)
940 Posts
cracker of a pollock mate well done:punk:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice one mate, do you just use it private or do you charter aswell?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts