World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from Gran Canaria, Puerto Rico. 4 days of "Fishy heaven". Bottom fishing for Rays, Tope, Shark, etc. Boat was White Striker. Great skipper, lots of local knowledge, very helpful. Recommend. 60 Euros a day.

My mate is left handed. He's looking for a heavy duty (Penn preferred) "Left Hooker" for him to use. I've looked around and they seem to be quite rare.

Any suggestions please ???

T

·
0 Posts
Speak to or PM Gary Caulfield, he'll give you some good info on what's available, but in reality I would say tell your mate to become ambidextrous.
All the rest of us right handedmob do.

Our main multipliers are wound with the right hand
Our baitcasters are wound with the left hand
Our fixed spooles are wound with the left hand

We learn to cope, I am sure he can to.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello terry , Im a left hooker and as tom has mentioned choices are limited . My reels include a abu7000 , penn321ti , abu 6500 and a penn senator 6/0 all left handed . Depending on the fishing he is doing one of these should be ok . Ive tried right handed but couldnt get used to it , ive even used a right handed reel as a left handed and reeled backwards :blink: There are reels out there but we havent got the selection like the right handers :uhuh:

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Polishanski/Shakespeare, do a lever drag that will convert, apparently by switching the end plates, I have one of these but have not found the need to convert as I am left handed and winding with my right is not a problem, but I know how awkward it fells to wind with my left. Good luck in your quest. ABU also do left hookers at least up to the 7000.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I bought her indoors a Penn 45 GLS left hand lever drag - seems to be fine for wrecking etc Don't know if you can still get in UK though, I bought this one in Atlanta ( or the Basspro up the I85N near Dulluth to be precise)

T

·
0 Posts
you used to be able to convert the penn senaters ,buying the gear off of penn servicing ,lost track of the guys number dont think he does it now.
Like I said, PM Gary Caulfield for the very best Penn info.

To can't get moe accurate or upto date than the horses mouth.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Like I said, PM Gary Caulfield for the very best Penn info.

To can't get moe accurate or upto date than the horses mouth.
Penn are no longer making LH Senators off the production line. They are, however, producing LH conversion kits, which we have pretty much all in stock.

That's good, so if you ever want to sell your lefty on, you will still have the RH parts so wont be limited as to who you can sell it to!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. Gary, what price are we looking at for a conversion kit. Depending on model, of course. Might have a go at converting an old reel instead.

Cheers,

Terry C.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Alright gary , can any of the new lever drag reels from penn be converted to left hand , if so is it easy to do or is there a company who do it . Cheers graham .

·
Registered
588 Posts
Alright gary , can any of the new lever drag reels from penn be converted to left hand , if so is it easy to do or is there a company who do it . Cheers graham .
Afraid not - there would just be so many different parts it would essentially be a different reel.

Wouldnt of thought anyone could convert them, or we would!

·
Registered
588 Posts
hi garry is the left hand gear still available for the penn 112 senator and how much is it, i have a gls 45 converted to left hand wind, are the kits available for its smaller version the 25 thanks:)

I dont think we ever did a LH 25GLS. so that's a no-no.

On the 112H, By "Gear" do you mean just the gears, or the whole kit to convert?

Pinion Gear & Main Gear - In stock - £19.80.
But I think you will also need a side plate, sleeve and star drag.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've got a penn senator 113 left handed, it's a verry good reel (strong, easy to service). The only problem is indeed the ratio. I used it in norway for years as my main reel, but when fishing deeper than 50 meter the ratio is to small. The american gear pack will be a good solution.

Now adays I use it for wrackfishing on the North See (30 m) and in Norway on my 16 lb rod.

It's the best reel for the job and if you've got to go deep buy the gearpack.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I dont think we ever did a LH 25GLS. so that's a no-no.

On the 112H, By "Gear" do you mean just the gears, or the whole kit to convert?

Pinion Gear & Main Gear - In stock - £19.80.
But I think you will also need a side plate, sleeve and star drag.
are there any 112 recons about at the moment garry,cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts