World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only a small report this morning.
Decided to go for a bash this morning in the pouring rain and gusty/blustery wind. There was only one real option in where to go as I didn't fancy wet rock hoping and opted for the little bit of comfort. I chose Holyhead and after searching the other day decided to give the fish docks a go. Never having fished here before and I didn't realise you could, it offered the best bet for ease. Setting up in the pouring rain along with the ever increasing wind started to have a few dabbles down the side. The tide was out and the wind down the sides made the jig head dance a bit from time to time. After a while small knocks started to come and over the first hour a few micros showed up in Gobie form:), no pics as it was pi##ing it down. After these and with the tide starting to move I changed to a heavier jig head and cast out and about. Nothing much was willing but eventually found a few very small Pollock as the rain gave up for a while:)

Small but beautifully marked.
After this wee monster I decided to head for the breakwater to see if any Herring were about. Unfortunately after walking down to the break the wind had picked up some more and changed direction heading down along the breakwater. I don't mind wind but when it's strong and from the side and fishing so light it's god dam hard work indeed, so I headed back to the docks.
As I returned the rain reappeared and the wind made the most of it pushing it hard at times.
Changed the jig head to a Tict Dart 1.8g and a 1.5" Brilliant in Ambi and started to cast around with the wind.
It wasn't long before another wee Pollock made contact in the dismal weather. Things were slow going and in the next 30 mins or so nothing was showing. By now I was getting pretty soaked, cold and it was miserable. I decided to give it another 20mins then a cup of hot brown was definitely in order.
Casting around eventually a tiny touch and hold up came, no movement then slowly the tip pulled over showing something better had taken hold. Not fighting hard and nothing bright in it's action but as it made it's way to the surface a good flash of sparkle could be seen. At first I thought it was a reasonable Herring but to my absolute surprise it was a MACK:eek:

I heard of the very odd one in the past from deep marks, but this mark isn't that deep at all. A very welcome bonus for Jan/Feb to say the least but what a scrawny looking fish. After that I'd had enough and eager for the coffee.
So really a miserable morning with a few fish and a surprise but I do wish this constant bombardment of winds and rain would PI## off and give us some settled weather for a week or two.
Sorry about lack of pics but getting my camera soaked and frying it was going to be a no no!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Well done, a few fish as a reward for your efforts, well deserved!

·
Registered
204 Posts
well done love the light fishing / that mack looks as SHOCKED to be out of water as you were to have caught it ?

think we are all praying for better conditions / think i have the worst winter ever as regards being able to get out due to the weather situation.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Great report and pictures, well done for braving the weather and getting out and catching a few fish, great stuff.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Stunning coloured pollack, the mack looks very long and thin with a big head, maybe it was struggling to find its usual baitfish in the cooler water.

JonD

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Sounds like like a trial, but it paid off. Scrawny looking mackerel looks starving. Never seen one in January before.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Well done, it's bonkers getting a mackerel in that neck of the woods at this time of year!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts