World Sea Fishing Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
About 6lb in a shallow sandy bay, very calm night.
I was actually fishing for sole, or trying, but that was the only fish.

Had loads of undersized schoolie on rag or lug in the past and stopped using worm as a bass bait for that reason. If I’m going to be pulling in small stuff all night I’d rather stay at home.

But bass are opportunists and eat almost anything. Imo it’s not that the bigger fish won’t take worm, just as you say, the small ones get to it first.

Incidentally, we do catch a lot of bass on bunches of maddies when estuary flounder fishing in the autumn.
My best is probably around 5lb but I know of fish up to 9lb caught by friends, so in that setting they will take it.
A bit different to king rag in that maddies is the dominant bait in that river so presumably it’s what the fish are expecting to find.
Thanks for the info. It definitely catches the smaller fish on average and for that reason I also avoid it now when targeting bass. I think I'm going to find it tough when targeting sole this year as I'll have to use worm and one of the marks is an estuary where there are a lot of small bass. Tight lines

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I have only ever seen one 11lb bass caught on king Rag worm, but it was at the top of an estuary where the fresh water comes in.

I think the most under estimated worm bait for bass is lug. That will catch big fish, but this all comes down to where you are fishing and food source.

If its mud flats or a mark near fresh water inlet, then there is a chance of big fish. Surf fishing with a rolling lead is a great way to get a bigger fish.

But on most open Mark's , I wouldnt expect to see a big fish on rag, but does that come down to food source where squid , crab, prawn and fish baits is following the source of food.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have only ever seen one 11lb bass caught on king Rag worm, but it was at the top of an estuary where the fresh water comes in.

I think the most under estimated worm bait for bass is lug. That will catch big fish, but this all comes down to where you are fishing and food source.

If its mud flats or a mark near fresh water inlet, then there is a chance of big fish. Surf fishing with a rolling lead is a great way to get a bigger fish.

But on most open Mark's , I wouldnt expect to see a big fish on rag, but does that come down to food source where squid , crab, prawn and fish baits is following the source of food.
Thanks for the information, very helpful. I have never put much time into surf fishing but it is something which I'm hoping to do in the future. I've not used lug often for bass, maybe this is something I need to try more as I have seen lug casts along areas where I fish. Tight lines mate

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Thanks for the information, very helpful. I have never put much time into surf fishing but it is something which I'm hoping to do in the future. I've not used lug often for bass, maybe this is something I need to try more as I have seen lug casts along areas where I fish. Tight lines mate
Hi Al,

yes lug with squid it a great bait for big bass. There is a lot of lug beds in our area, so well worth giving it a try.

Tight lines to Al.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I dig (well pump!) my own lug and then fish the grounds I’ve just dug over on the flooding tide, I leave any broken worms in the sand spoil in the hope that it acts as ground bait. I think using the same worms on the same digging ground is better. Do fish recognise the smell of lug beds? Do they differ from beach to beach dependant on the worms habitat? Something to consider.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I dig (well pump!) my own lug and then fish the grounds I’ve just dug over on the flooding tide, I leave any broken worms in the sand spoil in the hope that it acts as ground bait. I think using the same worms on the same digging ground is better. Do fish recognise the smell of lug beds? Do they differ from beach to beach dependant on the worms habitat? Something to consider.
Awesome idea when digging your own bait .
That is one thing I have been asking myself about bait. I am not sure but I do think they do know the difference between baits from other areas, but there again, we buy bait in southampton and use it on chezil, and still catch , for instance. But baits that come from other countries I definitely wouldnt use.

·
The Cheeky Essex Lure Fisher, joined March 2010
5,584 Posts
Would be interesting to hear what the biggest bass other anglers have caught on ragworm is. Personally, I've only caught a few bass over 4lbs using ragworm but nothing over 5lbs. I don't tend to use it when targeting bass for this reason, as I can't seem to pick out the larger fish when using it. Either this is because the smaller schoolies get there first or the bigger fish aren't interested in it? Or maybe I'm wrong? Have only had larger bass on bigger baits. So, what is the best bass you have caught on ragworm?
caught a 7lber off shoeburyness essex in the 70s
my first ever bass

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
Yep they definitely know the lug are there.
A beach I fish, there’s extensive lug beds and a single lug fished over them, literally 20-40 yards out, will pick up all sorts of species, and including good bass.
I’ve probably only had 2-3lb schoolies there but friends have had bigger. I’m not fishing for bass when I go there.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Are people just fishing with Rag on their hooks hence the reason smaller bass are more likely to be caught .
But when another bait is added to the Ragworm such as squid or anything else to make a cocktail bait , does fishing with cocktail baits interest bigger bass more ?
But on the flip side squid on its own is a great bait to target bigger fish , some baits work on their own , and some don"t .
Finding what works is part of fishing , casting any bait out could bring a surprising catch , how many have cast out a well prepared sandeel and squid Ray bait only for a tiny whiting or schoolie to be hanging off it when you reel in , the same goes for smaller baits that catch bigger fish which you"d never believe would happen .
Certain fishing marks will have a bait that works well at different times of the year , but why not try something else you never know whats swimming around out there .
Tight lines .

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
In my experience its WHEN you are using ragworm ..... When the sea temp has bottomed out and the bass metabolism is at its slowest a big worm bait is like a lick of an icecream ... no chasing no digesting just an easy meal ..... I use worm till the crabs moult then live eels when the water warms up .... (y)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Are people just fishing with Rag on their hooks hence the reason smaller bass are more likely to be caught .
But when another bait is added to the Ragworm such as squid or anything else to make a cocktail bait , does fishing with cocktail baits interest bigger bass more ?
But on the flip side squid on its own is a great bait to target bigger fish , some baits work on their own , and some don"t .
Finding what works is part of fishing , casting any bait out could bring a surprising catch , how many have cast out a well prepared sandeel and squid Ray bait only for a tiny whiting or schoolie to be hanging off it when you reel in , the same goes for smaller baits that catch bigger fish which you"d never believe would happen .
Certain fishing marks will have a bait that works well at different times of the year , but why not try something else you never know whats swimming around out there .
Tight lines .
Some interesting points there, I've found that baits not found in the estuary no matter how small the strips are (mackerel, squid etc.) won't be touched by the smaller fish below 2lbs or so. As soon as ragworm is sent out to the same area within seconds or minutes there are bites. Maybe it's because these bass haven't hunted these other baits yet as they aren't at that stage in their life cycle and so there's no association? Maybe it's just a simple case of not being the food they are 'focused' on. Tight lines

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
In my experience its WHEN you are using ragworm ..... When the sea temp has bottomed out and the bass metabolism is at its slowest a big worm bait is like a lick of an icecream ... no chasing no digesting just an easy meal ..... I use worm till the crabs moult then live eels when the water warms up .... (y)
Yeah that's a good point and may be the reason why

·
Registered
9,012 Posts
Had one 12lb on Lugworm and 2nd rod had a whiting that had been Gummied by a Bass Trouble was Greedy whiting had taken both hooks on pennel!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts