World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my experience bikes(of the pedal variety) and fishing don't mix.

I live near the sea, so being able to cycle to marks rather than walking would be very handy.

Has anyone hand success carrying there fishing gear on a bike, and if so, how did you do it?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Used to bike miles when I was a kid with my fishing gear and usually a fork or spade for digging bait. Tie rod and fork to crossbar and carry other gear in rucksac. Just be careful mounting and dismounting! (O'er missus :unsure: )

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
thats all we had years ago. either that or go on the bus.

tie the rod to the seat and handlebar stem. not too tight though or you could damage it. put all the other stuff you need in a rucksack. gets awkward when you need a rodrest. just tie that to the other side.

it can also be a problem with some of the modern suspension bikes. but if your serious enough you,ll find a way.

i used to use a butchers/carrier bike so could get a box in the front.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Steve, what kind of knot do you use? Once tied, do you still hve to hold the rod, or does it stay stable.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
In my experience bikes(of the pedal variety) and fishing don't mix.

I live near the sea, so being able to cycle to marks rather than walking would be very handy.

Has anyone hand success carrying there fishing gear on a bike, and if so, how did you do it?
Couple of rubber bungees for your rods, and stick your box on your back.

Failing that, scab a lift from your mates! :crazy: :thumbs:

·
Registered
482 Posts
I bought a travel rod 6piece 45 cm tube. now I go spinning all the time by bike! in belgium I saw a lot of these little trailers like the once you carry children with but then for your stuff. it seemed very handy.

jan

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
just tie rob to side of bike as some one all rady said use some bungy cords you know the alastikc ones with hooks on the ends and just lob your gear in a bag and go fishing but turning tighty is a problem sometimes but me and my mates do it when we go and we go over rocky ground through bushes and stuff to get to are marks all good:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Like the others have said, I used to tie rod, rest and bait fork to the cross bar and carry the rest of the kit on my back. If I went at night there'd be the tilley lamp to carry too, hanging from the handlebar I expect! Those were the days, pass the rose tinted specs....:) :)

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
or... rod quiver on yer back, rucksack with gear on your front !

D

·
0 Posts
used to carry fishing gear on me bikes as a kid all the time.never had a prob.as people have said,tie the rods etc on the crossbar with elastic bungie's and use a ruck sack.a bucket on the handlebars and away u go.infact i did this very thing last week as i have got back into cycling....dave.:bicycle: :bicycle:

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think travel rod in the rucksack is the safest and easiest, worked for me for years. Just get a decent sized one and or a couple of paniers and you are set to go. Great fun and really appreciate the environment a lot more being out in it, especially when its ****ing down with rain and you're handlebars are covered in slime on the way back. I love it

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
A few years ago I went on a fishing mission. I cycled from west wales to Bude stopping to fish all sorts of venues. I had three stone of weight to carry. I found that saddle bags was the answer. You have a frame that just bolts on the back of your bike and the bags just clip on. There is also a shelf behind your seat that can hold loads of stuff.
Before I went I tested out the idea of using a rucksack but after a few miles my back was in half. So coming back from a mark could be rough to say the least.

Second hand from e-bay or summut should see you kitted out for less than £100 and you'll never have to think about cycling to mark again as it's easy.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Lea...ryId=Cycling&url=rei/learn/cycle/howbagsf.jsp

·
Registered
424 Posts
I enjoy cycling and prefer to use my bike to go fishing, especially as my favourite marks are within five miles of my home. It's possible to carry a normal beachcaster strapped to the top bar but I use a Penn Seatrek and Penn Jetstream which are three and four-piece rods. Multi-section rods nowadays are just as good as two-sectioned ones and are a lot safer and easier to transport this way. The Penn Powerstick has had good reviews on this site and is available for around £40. Imax have just released a range of excellent three and four-sectioned rods, to name but one other company producing multi-sectioned rods. If I fish a beach then I use a telesopic tripod. A good quality headlamp eliminates the need for a petrol lamp.

The rest of my gear I carry in a Titan Matchman's rucksack. If you can't get all your tackle into one of these then you're probably taking too much. I find it comfortable enough for moderate distances but you need to take things easy as rucksacks raise the centre of balance. If you're riding at night then you need to either buy a brightly coloured one or fix reflective strips to it. It's not advisable to carry anything dangling from the handlebars for safety reasons. :uhuh: The catch, if it's a large one, can be carried on a rear rack. Alternatively, and especially if you have to ride on busy roads or have much distance to travel, you could think about using rear panniers to carry everything, which would be the safest and most comfortable way.

If feel you must go fishing with a quiver full of rods and use a beach shelter then you need to take your car. But using a bike forces you to take - and buy :) - only what you really need.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
bike n fishin gear ,,,,,done it for years,,and still do

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Bicycles to go sea angling! If it is less than a 10 mile round trip it is lazyness, I regularly have a 6 mile round yomp with about 30 lb. of gear to carry, rods, rest, backpack big box of crabs,or other bait. It's no bother, and helps keep you fit. Although will agree a bike could be handy if you had 20lb. of cod to tote back on top of that lot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts