World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my boat has a fairly narrow bilge, at the moment I have two pumps, an auto one mounted out of the bilge on a flat area that should never see water , and a smaller tsunami one in the bilge, but it’s too wide to fit all the way in so it always has a bit of water in there, which i don’t like.
Are there any small pumps available or any that have a hose to suck out of the bottom. Thanks jon

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
A check valve is a bad idea. They tend to clog and can disable a pump. Vane pumps will always leave some water in. You could add a small diaphragm pump that pumps into a shower box and then out, if you have one, to get the last dregs of water out. Thats what I use and its very effective. I havent figured out how to make mine auto though so I manually have to power it on.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Having said that. Nothing beats a wet and dry vacuum if you have leccy at hand.

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A check valve is a bad idea. They tend to clog and can disable a pump. Vane pumps will always leave some water in. You could add a small diaphragm pump that pumps into a shower box and then out, if you have one, to get the last dregs of water out. Thats what I use and its very effective. I havent figured out how to make mine auto though so I manually have to power it on.
I use a pump to empty it every now and again, one of the easy oil pressure operated ones, but i would like to keep it dry, it can’t be good having water inside the bay , it’s perfect conditions for corrosion.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
That’s the sort of thing, do you think they could handle the crud that accumulates in the bilge? Thanks Jon
The ones I have seen have a crud basket on the end of the pick up hose. I am afraid that water fresh or salty will find it's way to the lowest level, we tend to live with it!LOL

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
As covered in the thread above:
There is no need to buy a bilge pump that sits in the bilge. Buy one that sits above the bilge and has a suction pipe and strainer down in the keel. I have a Whale Gulper like this:

With a strum box in the bilge and a remote float switch to make it automatic.

I tried the narrow Smart 650 yellow pump but they are not man enough for serious pumping.

To get the bilge completely dry I use Tesco Value nappies. This is not a joke. See here for details http://www.boat-angling.co.uk/boatdiy/

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Not sure if any of these would do, I think the pump can be mounted anywhere and the pick up i.e. hose can be dropped into the bilge?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pressure-Diaphragm-Automatic-Priming-Caravan/dp/B073S5VJ9G
No that is a pressure pump for your tap. It relies on the outlet being closed (i.e.water tap) to trigger the pump to shut off otherwise it will run forever. You could have a separate switch and ignore the pressure switch but it looks like a very small bore hose, and intended for clean supply water. If you are going to mount any external pump DON'T mount it like in their picture, any water drips will leak into the motor. Mount it upside down or at least on its side.

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As covered in the thread above:
There is no need to buy a bilge pump that sits in the bilge. Buy one that sits above the bilge and has a suction pipe and strainer down in the keel. I have a Whale Gulper like this:

With a strum box in the bilge and a remote float switch to make it automatic.

I tried the narrow Smart 650 yellow pump but they are not man enough for serious pumping.

To get the bilge completely dry I use Tesco Value nappies. This is not a joke. See here for details http://www.boat-angling.co.uk/boatdiy/
Looks ideal thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts