World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just like to know peoples thoughts on the bimini twist me personaly i think its the safest leader knot there is but my friend begs to differ any ones comments are welcome cheers :drunk:

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
The knot itself is great until you get snagged. with the bimini twist it is as strong if not stronger than the line itself so there is no "weak point" therefore you stand a high chance of losing miles of mainline when you pull for a break. I really dont understand why people use it tbh, there are more suitable knots to use, the albright is as strong as you will ever need mate unless the tuna turn up early lol. Learn to tye a good albright instead :thumbs:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The knot itself is great until you get snagged. with the bimini twist it is as strong if not stronger than the line itself so there is no "weak point" therefore you stand a high chance of losing miles of mainline when you pull for a break. I really dont understand why people use it tbh, there are more suitable knots to use, the albright is as strong as you will ever need mate unless the tuna turn up early lol. Learn to tye a good albright instead :thumbs:
cheers mate i know how to tie most knots an its true that the albright is a sold knot i use it when fishing cleanish ground but its personal prefrence for me unless its the bloke fishing ladye bay an says you dont need to use leder because nothing can break 18lb line lol:doh:cheers for the reply

·
Registered
942 Posts
Good post.
Just incase anyone is interested in various knots for fishing try this link very helpfull and good explaination of each knot and its usage for fishing including knot strenghts.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

I'm an albright man myself, a very neat but small strong knot which has given me years of trouble free fishing. I find the bimini requires an octopus, (hands, legs feet), approach, lol, and not suitable for tying on cold, wet, windy winter nights.

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Totally agree with Gaz on this one. I'd much rather the weak spot in my gear was the leader knot, if I get snagged up and have to break out that is where I want it to snap so I can tie a new leader on and get back fishing. With the Bimini being as strong if not stronger than the main line then you risk a snap anywhere along its length which could seriously put a crimp on the rest of your trip.

If I'm using a parallel leader the I use the old fashioned overhand / uni-knot combo - quick, simple to tie and has never let me down in 25 years of fishing. For tapered leaders it is a double uni-knot, again never let me down and more than strong enough to land double figure smuts off the shore.

·
Banned
76 Posts
I'm in agreement with gaz and mackem, I dont understand why people use a bimini either. Better to lose just the leader down then half yr spool of mainline plus leader, plus end gear. Could work out very expensive down here in Bristol Channel.
Plus, of course, unless you can afford to fully refill yr reel every time you lose gear, then yr gonna end up with knots in yr mainline....which isn't really the best.
And....you are going to waste alot of fishing time refilling the spool :wallbash:

·
Registered
934 Posts
I agree, I prefer a weaker knot so I can pull for breaks and not lose any line, plus the bimini is quite bulky.

Only time I'd use it is from clean deep water piers where fish need to be lifted (could use a dropnet) and stiff wire fixed sinkers need to be pulled out, although I have no trouble with the grinner.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
The bimini is a very simple knot to tie when you get the hang of it , 45 seconds it's tied and joined to the mainline. Plus with the bimini you will get at least 50% more gear back than any other know when pulling out of snags. You might lose a bit of line every now and then but the £ you save on not losing gear far outweighs a few yards of line ocasionally. It does tend to catch weed though

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I only ever use a grinner knot for tying my leader and it works fine, Ive landed a 10lb cod, 10lb bass and 14lb 8oz smoothound using this knot so I don't see the need for a stronger knot. Pluss when ever I get snagged and have to snap off 90% of the time I only lose my leader and no mainline.
Elliot

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ok my preference is for a bimini when using braid and the Albright when tying mono shock to a mono line.

I do not quit understand the comment/opinion that the bimini knot is stronger than the main line I just fail to see how this can be, the moment you fold, bend, twist the line you induce a focus of stress hence a weakness and it is at this point where you should get the line snapping.

If you are snagged then you wrap your line around your forearm 2,3 times and pull for a break, it should snap at the knot as this is the weakest point in the line. If it snaps further up the line then this is probably because you have previously kinked, crimped, heated, chaffed, nipped or in some other way damaged the line at this point.

All things being equal line should always snap at the knot

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Ok my preference is for a bimini when using braid and the Albright when tying mono shock to a mono line.

I do not quit understand the comment/opinion that the bimini knot is stronger than the main line I just fail to see how this can be, the moment you fold, bend, twist the line you induce a focus of stress hence a weakness and it is at this point where you should get the line snapping.

If you are snagged then you wrap your line around your forearm 2,3 times and pull for a break, it should snap at the knot as this is the weakest point in the line. If it snaps further up the line then this is probably because you have previously kinked, crimped, heated, chaffed, nipped or in some other way damaged the line at this point.

All things being equal line should always snap at the knot

think you are a bit confused bud the bimini twist is NOT a knot... it was developed for tuna fishing and named after the bimini island where a lot of the pioneering tuna fishing took place some of these fish were over 1000lbs so needed extreme tackle and they needed a way of attatching the leader without any loss of strength and after lots of trial and error the bimini twist was born and as far as i know it is the only way to join leader where there is no loss of strength ...the line is doubled giving double strength and the resulting twists are done in such a way that they take less than half of the strength out of the line so that it can in fact be stronger than the original line!!

never use it myself as on the odd occasions ive been tuna fishing its all been done for me ..oh yeah and ive never caught a tuna lol

·
Banned
76 Posts
think you are a bit confused bud the bimini twist is NOT a knot... it was developed for tuna fishing and named after the bimini island where a lot of the pioneering tuna fishing took place some of these fish were over 1000lbs so needed extreme tackle and they needed a way of attatching the leader without any loss of strength and after lots of trial and error the bimini twist was born and as far as i know it is the only way to join leader where there is no loss of strength ...the line is doubled giving double strength and the resulting twists are done in such a way that they take less than half of the strength out of the line so that it can in fact be stronger than the original line!!

never use it myself as on the odd occasions ive been tuna fishing its all been done for me ..oh yeah and ive never caught a tuna lol
I fail to see how. I can undestand the twist giving an increase in linestrength, but it's still a single strand loop at the end. Doubling a line back on itself does not give you increased strength, particularly when the line is half-hitched around itself to stop the twist, ummm, untwisting. :uhuh:
An increse in strength: Yes Double line strength: :uhuh:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I fail to see how. I can undestand the twist giving an increase in linestrength, but it's still a single strand loop at the end. Doubling a line back on itself does not give you increased strength :uhuh:
just google bimini twist or look on here and its all there for you to read its not my personal opinion that its stronger its a FACT and as for not understanding how that doesnt mean its not right read the articles then you will understand

jay

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i use the bimini and yes it is stong , i like it because it is reliable and i find the the weed falls down over i to the end tackle . this was born out last nite when fishing next to some one who does not use this knot<was decussed at the time> . sometimes you have to use the knot that suits the conditions.
i have also found it goes out through the eyes well

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.