World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone ,

just had a new multi after using f.s all the time , i tried to read all the threads

about the way handelling this kind of real and my first casts for 50 meters went

good .

the prublem began when i tried to cast for a long distance , one out of three casts

ended with a nasty birdnest .

can i have some tips how to avoied this .

thanks ,

michael:confused:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
when in the cast are you getting the birdsnests ?

·
Registered
851 Posts
When I first started using a 535gs ages ago it would birds nest quite often, and after a while I found out you need to engage the centrifugal brakes as they come locked in. You slide them out to the end of their 'spindle' to enable them. Could this be the problem? Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
When I first started using a 535gs ages ago it would birds nest quite often, and after a while I found out you need to engage the centrifugal brakes as they come locked in. You slide them out to the end of their 'spindle' to enable them. Could this be the problem? Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.
that sounds like the prob 2 me m8t:) take the side plate off & check that the brakes r free 2 run 2 the end of the pins.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, the brakes are in the end of the pins , i did that before my first cast

the birds happens after the sinker hits the water .

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
yeah. watch/listen for the lead to hit the water and put your thumb on the spool as soon as this happens. once you stop the spool, take your thumb off and let the lead sink to the bottom.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
have you tried tightening up your brakes? (silver knob behind your handle) as you get used to casting gradually loosen it.

another thing is if your spool has too much line on this will cause the spool to spin a lot faster. its not like a fs which needs to be loaded to the spool lip.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
have you tried tightening up your brakes? (silver knob behind your handle) as you get used to casting gradually loosen it.

another thing is if your spool has too much line on this will cause the spool to spin a lot faster. its not like a fs which needs to be loaded to the spool lip.
the silver knob behind the handle is not the brakes.

that is used to adjust the end float on the spool. tightening this puts pressure on the spindle and too much will kill your cast. set this to give the tiniest of movement on the spool then leave it alone.

put 90 grade geaerbox oil in the bearings. the centrifugal breaks on the spool are to calm the initial surge of the cast. once the lead is in mid fight they stop working. a thicker oil in the bearings will actually calm the reel during the cast.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
If it birdies at the end of the cast and it isn't down to your timing hitting the spool with your thumb, it is a dabcatcher suggested. Get a small metal container or an old spoon, fill with motor oil, drop your bearings into it, heat the spoon from beneath with a lighter and when you see bubbles emerging from the bearings, you know the oils has run into them forcing the air out.

That will tame it. As posted, brakes are next to useless mid cast onwards, there isn't enough centrifugal force generated to make them work effectively, but the oil will make a huge difference. :)

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
If it birdies at the end of the cast and it isn't down to your timing hitting the spool with your thumb, it is a dabcatcher suggested. Get a small metal container or an old spoon, fill with motor oil, drop your bearings into it, heat the spoon from beneath with a lighter and when you see bubbles emerging from the bearings, you know the oils has run into them forcing the air out.

That will tame it. As posted, brakes are next to useless mid cast onwards, there isn't enough centrifugal force generated to make them work effectively, but the oil will make a huge difference. :)
i dont even soak my bearings. just open the reel up and put a couple of drops in the bearings while they are in the spool. do this after every couple of sessions.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
If you are thumbing the spool as the lead hits the water, do not gently press your thumb onto the line - that will cause a bad birdsnest as your thumb stops the line leaving the spool but doesn't stop the spool spinning.

Either gently press the edge of your thumb against the metal of the spool or, if you press onto the line, press firmly to stop the spool spinning instantly and then lift your thumb back off to let that bow of line feed out in the tide.

The advantage of gently thumbing the metal is that your timing does not have to be perfect - you can afford to start thumbing a bit early (without losing too much distance).... so it is handy in the dark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts