World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the Bison beachcaster travel rod, 13ft? Can anyone vouch for the build quality? I've got loads of beachcasters, but not a travel pack-down version. I'm heading to Ireland in April for 4 days spinning but thought a beachcaster might come in handy for some rock marks ledgering.

They've got them on fleabay for £59 or so.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Will be able to tell you soon as Ive just got one of the 3 piece 13ft beach casters on ebay for £16 delivered!
Ive just recently moved back to next to the sea after about 30 years of chucking a worm or lure into fresh water out in the country so I took an early morning trip out to Blyth pier with my olympic 8ft spinning rod which is good for sea or fresh water armed with spinners, sea floats and jellies and all that was catching was flaties on far flung rigs, luckily Ive kept my two multipliers from my youth many years ago for boat fishing so the Abu mag3 or Daiwa Millionaire 2 37-2B will be back in service soon with a review on the Bison to follow.
Phil

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well Im back as I said, got the £16 fleabay Bison 13ft 3 piece beachcaster in the post earlier this week and it came in its cloth sock/bag and a heavy duty cardboard triangular tube (well packaged so a good start) looking at it, it reminds me of a Daiwa 12ft I had about 30 years ago but much lighter, all the eyes are well whipped on and the epoxy top coat is perfect on every eye in fact I can only find one very tiny and hard too see blemish in the whole rod so I dont think its a second or reject.
The three sections fit together very nicely and all have rubber bungs in them so if you drop a section in the water it should float? have not tried it! the rings are what looks like decent quality fuji type (doubt they are fuji though) and the reel seat is sturdy and neatly fitted and holds both my small reels firm unlike the Daiwa did, its a screw type seat unlike my old Daiwa which had a clip down fit, the reel seat looks a bit low down the butt section for me but we will see.
Testing came this morning with an early high tide so I knew my local jetty would be empty of tourists and other fishers so rod in hand with two reels freshly loaded to the max with 25lb line the Abu Mag 3 and the Daiwa millionare 2 37-2B with level wind still on, selected three weights to test with 3oz 4oz and 5oz even though it says it casts up to 6oz, no shock leaders as I wont be testing under anger (yet!).
Thought to myself if I am going to be chucking some lead out into the brine I might as well stick a set of size 4 daylights on just in case of any hungry sand eels out there which I love using as bait on the beach.
The first few casts with a 3oz where just to set the line on the spool and it felt good, the rod loaded up nicely even with this weight and was casting well over 100m, up too 4oz and I backed off on the brakes (its been well over 25 years since Ive used a beachcaster) and gave it some welly! wow this rod feels nice and not much line left on the spool, no noises from the joints no movement and yes the seat is a bit low but I can work with it, I got brave and decided to free the spool off a little but forgot to put the brakes back up so got a bit of a nest on the next cast, that was easily sorted and the rod had enough backbone to pull the lead and daylights out of the kelp bed I had landed in.
Brakes on 4 very free spool 4oz and a good hard cast had the spool on the Mag 3 nearly empty no backlash, brakes down to 2 and same again so lets up it to 5oz! it did not feel as comfortable with 5oz and no shock leader fitted so I took it easy at first, holy s**t it nearly ripped the rod out of my hands! all the line out and it had not even touched the water, I will have to dig out the box to check but I think that is about 220/240m of line, by the way still no fish and my arms are getting tired now so stopping for a smoke.
Changed reels to the old Millionare which holds more line but is restricted by the level wind which I do not want to remove as the Mrs uses it on the boat for Mackies, Coalies and small Cod, back down to 4oz and easily about 140m but what a noise (I hate casting this old thing) but its a good stand by reel to have in the bag, stuck on a 5oz gripper without the daylights and flung it into the kelp about 100 yards out and let it go fast, first pull still fast second hard pull and out it came so it can take some punishment.
No fish about and a heavy mist has rolled in soaking me through so time to call it a day, for £16 delivered I highly recommend the bison 13ft 3 section beachcaster for sale now on fleabay (about 4 listings) and I would say it will be just as good with a fixed spool reel, easy to load up but also has a good backbone on the bottom half, perfect for a travel rod as its very lightweight and would be good for and young lad or lass just starting out as it looks like its worth a lot more (like the early conoflex 12ft rods but black) it will go in the boot of most cars easily so could be a good back up rod to keep with you at all times?
I will be putting some shrink tube on the but section above and below the reel seat but that is only personal preference as I have reduced grip in my hands and find the blank sections a bit hard to grip, anybody else will probably be alright and I may look to extending the butt by another 8 inches if I start using it a lot, for now its £16 well spent and a keeper.
I am in no way connected with the company selling the rod or any other fishing tackle company, hope this helps anybody that has looked at the rod.
Phil

·
Registered
22 Posts
240metres with a 16 quid rod and 25lb line wow
Still not 100% on that as I need to find the reel box and book to see what the capacity is with 25lb line, normally just have 18lb on it as its a small spool, it may be 220m of 18lb? all the same it launched the whole spool and came to a banging stop so could have taken even more, just got myself an Ultra Mag XL the big brother of my little Mag 3 and they cast very nicely with a big line capacity so more testing to come, honestly £16 delivered well worth it even as a travel rod.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
with those skills may i suggest a bit of tournament casting as pros with top gear sometimes struggle to get that distance if you can do that with the gear you stated they should be worrying

·
Registered
22 Posts
with those skills may i suggest a bit of tournament casting as pros with top gear sometimes struggle to get that distance if you can do that with the gear you stated they should be worrying
Yep I may be well out as already said as Im only going on what I think the spool holds or can hold which still under investigation, but I am not the only one, there is a guy on youtube doing casting vids using exactly the same reel also emptying the spool? from what I have read (on here) it is a well respected reel for tourno casters which was unknown to me but I have never really used it that way mainly as a baitcaster on the spinning rod with lures or eels, it will do over 100 yards with a basic flic and 2oz it is so fast and I really gave it some with the 5oz on the 13ft Bison rod expecting a mess but all the line was out before it hit the water? looks like the Mrs has thrown out the box before we moved as the reel was kept on the boat so I am still trying to find out the spool capacities, as for tourno casting they are now hitting over 300+ yards from what Ive read and I would not attempt to get regular distant casts out without a giant mess every now and again as its over 25 years since Ive used a 12ft beachcaster hence probably a total fluke of a cast.
Anybody in this neck of the woods who wants to give it a go I have no problem with it and I will soon have the reels big brother the Ultra Mag XL to try on the Bison which holds a lot more line and casts just as good without much effort.
What I will say is this cheap rod with this reel at least are a great combination and for £16 I would recommend the rod to anybody wanting a travel rod, a spare rod or for those like me who do not want to spend huge wads of cash just for a big brand name, it feels nice and casts well (well it does for me anyway)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok I was way out, with the help of the Mrs paced it out in the lane with a few funny looks from the locals aprox. 164 yards, still very happy with that on a £16 rod as it would have gone further if more line was on the spool, then again if the line was lighter I prob would have had a nice nest to pull out, swings and roundabouts?
Case closed.
Phil

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Phil,

I'm lucky if I get 75 yards with 5oZ and Bait and that's with my Zippy.

I suggest you drop Bison immediately and get Zzipplex or Century to sponsor you.

With a Zeteque in those arms of yours I can see you casting a couple of miles.

I've got Bison waders and boots. I love 'em.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Phil,

I'm lucky if I get 75 yards with 5oZ and Bait and that's with my Zippy.

I suggest you drop Bison immediately and get Zzipplex or Century to sponsor you.

With a Zeteque in those arms of yours I can see you casting a couple of miles.

I've got Bison waders and boots. I love 'em.
Cant afford anything like that and the Mrs would remove parts of my body if I paid more than say £30 for anything to do with fishing, I have got a lot of upper body strength due to working in the building trade a lot but my legs and hip let me down these days, I can do over 60 yards with my 8ft carbon spin and a decent 5/8oz lure, been trying that pendulum cast thing that all the tourno casters do and the Bison loves it but the reels cant cope, you really need to try a Mag3 or ulra mag xl as even out the box the line screams out without too much pressure on the cast, once you strip it down, clean and re-lube then hone the clever little disengaging level wind guide a little the speed is crazy, I did think about trying to get some of those tourno grade bearings for them but I think they would become too much for me to handle and the more that goes out the more you have to wind back in hence Im now looking for a power handle to fit, if there was a tourno casting section for cheapo gear held local I would consider it for a laugh, people may think Im making it up but I stand by my claims with this combo and if anybody local wants a go down at the beach Im game as I would love to video it and watch their faces as the spool empties, spool now holding just over 180m of 20lb mono and a 40lb shock leader as recommended by somebody on this forum who has owned one, ready for the next outing, should be fun.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Well I will start comedy when you learn to read, the end, go and troll somebody else.
Take No notice fella.
These are the sort of guys who lack technique so throw money at expensive kit Thinking it helps them cast further. (They probably have a small dick too):bye2:

Thing is that Bison rod is probably far more advanced than any of the old rods and people were chucking leads a fair old distance with 20yrs ago.

Or what about the guy who can throw a lead further than most using a broom handle.

WHY? Technique over GETTING YOUR WALLET OUT :bb:

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I doubt the guy with the broom handle can cast 240metres with 180metres of line on his reel!!
Reckon only Dynamo could manage that :fish:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Just waiting for one of these bison 13ft rods I like the look of the Matt black finish It looks like a rod for fixed spool I have a set of 8 fujis here am thinking of keeping the two rings on the middle section and fitting the 8 finish on the top section to turn this into a rod for multi use any one done this yet and if so what has it had on the action of the rod would be a pity on one respect that the finish have a yellowish colour could there be a paint i.e an enameled paint to make look the same in stead of buying more rings got to be worth a shot at 20 quid any idess anyone I have a complex cod 4 Paul Kerry superset mk1 Wesley North western 12 ft love the feeling of some of the older rods Will this bison in 15 years time for into this line up if you get my drift any reply especially the rings on the top section will it be to floppy for a muti?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts