World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
back down the solway on sunday looking for hounds again.wasnt sure where i would be able to fish as the wind was gusting to at least 30mph from the west when i left on sunday afternoon,but had all but disappeared when i got there.
off to the mark i had some smoothies on the last trip ,but theyb werent playing this time,the water was well coloured up but the sea had dropped right off.this obviously encouraged the doggies and a few other fish i hadnt had from the mark before,unfortunately none of them were of the desired variety !
first 3 fish were common eels ,with the best at 2lb 6oz breaking the lead out and putting up a fair struggle in the strong tide ,thought it was a small smoothie !
next up was a flounder followed by a doggie a chuck for the rest of the night (31 in total,all singles),the constant dogs only being interrupted by a nice female thornie of 7lb 7oz.i was going to wait for a bass around the time they normally appear ,but the the dogs had given my meagre crab supply a real hammering so i packed up earlier than intended and headed off for a kip and to sort my gear out for the short sesh in cumbria the next day.
it wasnt looking hopeful for a big hound the next day as there hadnt been any off the area the previous day,and sure enough only dabs and a solitary small bass put an appearance in.
think that will be my hound fishing done this year ,will be having a go for the tope now,and hopefully some of the big huss ,which will probably result in plenty blanks !
cheers rab

Attachments

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Unlucky mate, still a nice thornie though. Had a similar problem yesterday myself, just dogs and a single eel, I stopped counting dogs after a dozen. I had walked along the shoreline where I was and couldn't get back at hw, eventually got so sick of doggies I took the rods out the water and sunbathed until the water was low enough to go home. Not had a good session this year!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I tell you Rab I'd love one of your 'slow' seshes :wiggle:

Seriously though sorry you never got any of your smoothies this weekend, will look forward to your Tope advetures.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think once it gets to this time of year the smoothies spread out a bit.a couple of my cumbrian mates had some nice ones to 8lb last week from a mark you wouldnt normally expect them.i should have tried some of the rock marks or burnfoot ,but didnt think i would get on them due to the wind ,then when i got to the mark i had fished before i couldnt be bothered moving !
cheers rab

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
great report and pics as usual rab,
your car mileage must be through the roof mate.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aye brian ,it was in strong tide so had a fair old scrap.storsy ,i mostly use the wifes car mate ,its better on fuel !
cheers rab

·
Registered
263 Posts
ok mate i got your text today i thought i might have got some dogs at the weekend myself mate but got them 3 bass and one of them slimey things seems to be alot about this year cheers peter

·
Registered
822 Posts
Think I'm gonna give them til august and then move on to tge tope

Lovely thornie though

When are you down next?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice report rab....we,re heading down to the Mull on the 23rd July to do some shore fishing for pollack then on the 24th out on ..:eek:n yer marks: for some tope fishing .....should be great ....heading back up to Arbroath for some real pollack on sat...cheers

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice report rab....we,re heading down to the Mull on the 23rd July to do some shore fishing for pollack then on the 24th out on ..:eek:n yer marks: for some tope fishing .....should be great ....heading back up to Arbroath for some real pollack on sat...cheers
aye those were crackers you had the last time ,those fish will take some beating from the west coast.
i was hoping to go up this weekend as well,but the forecast is for big easterlies up until saturday ,no doubt seeing as i was going to have my first pollack bash of the summer !
you should be well in on the tope,those lads have had a fair few this year.im just hoping to get 1 or 2 off the shore this year.
cheers rab

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Think I'm gonna give them til august and then move on to tge tope

Lovely thornie though

When are you down next?
not sure mate ,finances will dictate that i think !this weekends weather looks poor,if the wind goes west on sunday i might just have a local bash at the anster comp.
cheers rab

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Well done on your fish Rab and good report, I had to check the date before I replied this post

Can't wait to get back down there if this weather would clear up.

Cheers
Davy

·
Turbot Magnet
1,858 Posts
one day i'm gonna have a slow session Rab style.... Well done bud, unlucky on your hounds,but a really nice thornie.
regards
tony

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Bad luck on the hounds rab maybe the fresh water coming down the rivers put them off?
Hopefully having a go in kirkudbright area on tuesday/wed.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bad luck on the hounds rab maybe the fresh water coming down the rivers put them off?
Hopefully having a go in kirkudbright area on tuesday/wed.
have a good one mate ,you have been on fire this year ,its been a pleasure fishing with you ,and ive learnt a fair bit as well,it will be repaid in kind ,i promise ! ive learnt more off cumbrian lads like yourself and pete this year than i have in the last several years since i stopped match fishing and its much appreciated.
cheers rab

·
Registered
824 Posts
Great report rab,ats a nice thornie m8.
Me and my mates was going to try for a smoothie when we got back from ireland before but decided not to as we were all knackered and needed to go home.
But i think we will be planing a trip next year,as none of us have fished for them before.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts