World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

The 1 up 1 down rig is fast becoming my preferred all-rounder setup for scratchy conditions however I am having issues with bite detection on the bottom hook.

Often I have reeled in to find a sizable fish on the bottom hook after having had no particular indication on the rod tip and I suspect this is because there is not enough rig body available where the snood attaches to register the bite due to the proximity of the lead. I have tried moving the bottom hook up a bit but this often leads to tangles around the weight.

Any idea how I can improve bite detection whilst also avoiding tangles?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Do a search for "Wessex Rig" which is really a one up(or two up) one down running ledger so that when you get a bite on the bottom hook it will be in direct contact with your'e main line rather than the lead.
Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a very simple but effective looking rig, makes me wonder why we aren't all using them.

Thank you.

·
13,170 Posts
Do a search for "Wessex Rig" which is really a one up(or two up) one down running ledger so that when you get a bite on the bottom hook it will be in direct contact with your'e main line rather than the lead.
Cheers
Pete
My thought as soon as I saw the question. Always surprises me when it seems I know something:yeah:

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
That's a very simple but effective looking rig, makes me wonder why we aren't all using them.

Thank you.
I switched to this rig about a year ago as it's also very handy from the kayak as well as off the beach and I didn't need to tie different rigs, just chuck my rig wallet in and go. I have the lead clip free running as opposed to a swivel and clip the top snood down onto it for streamlining on the cast. Works very well for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.