World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So me and happyspark went fishing to Rhosneigr last night in the hope of some Bass. We were using lug, topped with squid on 2 hook flappers with size 2 hooks. Wasn't too long and I got a bite, it was giving a good fight and at first glimpse it looked like a Bass through the waves, but on closer inspection it was a Black Bream :blink: Now I thought that these rarely come past Pwllheli, usually the height of summer, and I thought they were mainly a boat catch? Can anyone correct me? It weighed approx 3lbs.

Not long afterwards I got another knock and it turned out to be my first Bass, about 2lbs :D Sadly those were the only 2 fish of the night, the wind was howling and the tide was going out, so we called it a night.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, it does have the lack of stripes on the side. Here's a 'better' picture, lol stupid camera phone.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Cracking catch there guys!! :notworthy

Love it when sumthin out of the ordinary turns up :clap2:.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Very happy to see you get your first Bass Pete and I was well jealous of that Bream :thumbs: Had my first Bass at Rhosneigr aswell if I remember correctly. Another session on the cards this weekend hopefully.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, the Bream gave a cracking fight even on the 10' beach rod i was using :thumbs:

@SLASHER, Yep Rhosneigr is on Anglesey, not too far from Ty Croes.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Fascinating thread! Must be said the Black Bream was always a 'mystery' species in the Straits years ago. There was a record (Welsh????) fish caught in the thirties and we tried to at least catch one, but to my knowledge it was a never caught species. In fact many of us at that time were convinced that 'the fish' had been a wrasse! Many years later a very good boat angler (he was a Wales' Boat Captain) told me of lads catching lots in competitions in the 2000 so they must be there. Also ChrisP used to catch them off the Llyn. So perhaps you don't have to go down to Pwllheli. Rhosneigr's the place!!

·
Registered
8,195 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This one was at least 3lbs and I'm never generous with my estimates :) I always make sure I hold the fish against me for a picture and not with arms out to make it look bigger :bleh:

Cheers for the comments anyway guys, hopefully I'll head back there soon and see what else I can catch.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
This one was at least 3lbs and I'm never generous with my estimates :) I always make sure I hold the fish against me for a picture and not with arms out to make it look bigger :bleh:

Cheers for the comments anyway guys, hopefully I'll head back there soon and see what else I can catch.
I wasn't accusing you of overestimating the weight of your catch, people who do that are only kidding themselves, I was merely pointing out that it's not unheard of for large giltheads to turn up around Anglesey from time to time :g:.

As for holding fish towards the camera, any article on how to get decent photos of your catch recommends that you do it. I must say though if Chorley boy was doing it in that particular picture then he must have very short arms! :laugh:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know andy1965, I'm not very good at explaining things. No offence intended :) :hugs:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts