World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone advise me on a bream rig so i can catch a bream on pwellheli beach.im a beginner and i have fished this beach 3 times and blanked everytime.seen a guy with a cork on his rig sunday is this the way to go,get the bait of the bottom.i used a bought bream rig from the tackle shop in criccieth with a strip of squid and a strip of mackeral also which is the best tide to fish?any help much appreciatedalso is it best to fish 1rod long and 1 short.:thumbs:

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,629 Posts
Just use the rig you bought, and make a few coppies of it. it sounds like you where doing everything correct. i use cork sometimes to keep the bait of the bottom away from crabs, fish the incoming tide on the beach, or fish low on the harbour entrance.... good luck.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
One thing I would advise is to keep your hooks small i.e.size 10 or 12(freshwater)baited with a small strip of squid!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
think it was me who came over to see if you had caught anything,to which you replied you have only just started fishing and had yet to catch a fish.Dont worry no one caught that day,probably tide too small.if it was you then the only thing i would say is that you had hooks a bit on the big size and too much bait on them. small slivers of bait is all you need ,and a float 3ft above will help.having said all that,it was my first go for bream that day so will be back with the bigger tides coming soon,may see you there good luck,ffd

·
Registered
11,285 Posts
i use a 2 hook rig. a flapper will do or clipped for distance if they are further out. size 4 hooks are ideal.

on the botom hook use a couple of bright beads.

on the top hook i use a 15mm floating bead trapped 4in from the hook. this will keep the thin strip of mackerel about 2ft off the bottom. a piece of foam or cork taped to the line will do the same job.

we get most of our bream on this top hook. you can also get a bonus, bass, garfish or mackerel on this hook.

good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks dabcatcher.fishfordinner it was me sunday,thanks for the reply tried hard but no joy beautiful day though,probably knew i wasnt going to catch when a couple started doing the backstroke in my swim:laugh:maybe see you on the beaches again

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
could do,i see you are from staffs,so are you in pwllheli for a while still,in which case may see you in next week or so,if i dont then good luck in the future,you will eventually start to catch fish and then as they say you are hooked.............

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
i use a 2 hook rig. a flapper will do or clipped for distance if they are further out. size 4 hooks are ideal.

on the botom hook use a couple of bright beads.

on the top hook i use a 15mm floating bead trapped 4in from the hook. this will keep the thin strip of mackerel about 2ft off the bottom. a piece of foam or cork taped to the line will do the same job.

we get most of our bream on this top hook. you can also get a bonus, bass, garfish or mackerel on this hook.

good luck.
This definitely works - my only shore Bream on Pwllhelli Beach came to this rig. Big plus is that it takes plenty of good sized mackerel too, which is a sort of consolation prize when the bream don't wanna know :)

Size 6 hooks with little mackerel or squid strips seem to work OK.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
449 Posts
ive been in ibiza on hols so havent fished pwllheli for three weeks,my mate mickj fished from his boat seamace and he says he never hit the bream nor the doggies in a full days fishing,he said the water was clear to about 25 / 30 feet so that could also of been the problem

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks john and ed2sdad.fishfordinner was just down sunday monday but trying to get down every other weekend now till the end of summer.can you tell me how long the bream stay for before they move off ?.think its my mission now to catch one.

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,629 Posts
Quote me if im wrong.... but i think its the end of sept when they will stay for....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks littlemissmermaid gonna have to get some sessions in.im determined to catch a bream before: the summers out.:sun:

·
Banned
10,968 Posts
Is it just me, or is Pwllheli fishing badly this year ? maybe its every where too ?

I have spent a lot of time at Pwllheli this year, with not much to show for it catch wise.

Similar reports are from other venues too, so are there a lot less fish at the mo ?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Pwllheli has been fishing well past few mknths load of rays etc,for the bream i would suggest a 3 hooked clipped down,cos you need a fair old chuck to get in amongst the fish there.Oh and small hooks and small strips of squid,or even try a head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
hi clarkey,went down to the same spot that we met last week,it was 15 mins before low tide so didnt give it much hope,used cut down shrimp rig with a bit of frozen squid on each hook,cast in about 25yds put rod on rest,5 mins later when not looking rod and rest crash on the ground picked it up and fish on,good fight for its size and landed a 1lb black bream so it can be done.squid seems like a good bait to put on a shrimp rig ,you only need a piece the size of kidney bean and it doesnt come off easily.good luck

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
looks like a minature set of macky feathers but with a coloured plastic fish covering the eye end halfway down the shank,the rest of the hook is left for your bit of bait,theres also a afew strands of tinsel as a tail.all coastal tackle shops sell them,good luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts