World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have accepted an invitation for a Black Bream trip in a couple of weeks time. I am looking for your help in building traces, and what bait you use.

I have a few ideas of my own but I am sure that you must have a few secret methods that you use.

Your help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Drew

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,007 Posts
RIGS
Bream, as we said before, rise in the water as the tide slacks off, but are close to the seabed when the tide is running. The rigs need to be instantly adjustable to allow us to constantly alter the depths at which the bait sits.

Use a small plastic boom like the Avis type using lengths of supple telephone wire to lock the boom into position. The wire is twisted round the mono and is easily slid up and down to adjust the height that the boom fishes.

The rigs body needs to be from 25lb line and 8’ long with a size 10 rolling swivel as the main line connector. Slide on a small bead, then the boom and another bead trapping them with the telephone wire. At the base of the rig tie in a small loop using two overhand granny knots. Tie a weak link of line, say 5lbs to the loop and add the lead to this. A snagged lead is then lost without sacrificing the whole rig.

The hook length needs to be upto 8’ in a running tide, but cut it down to 2’ towards slack water. This should be from 10-12lb line ending in a sharp Mustad 3261BLN Aberdeen size 4, or better still the excellent 34021 carp pattern from the same company in the same size.

This design allows the boom to be positioned from seabed level to 8’ which is the usual band the fish are feeding in.
http://www.worldseafishing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=281&Itemid=69

Try that Drew.

Good luck, hope you manage to catch a few!

Mike Jnr

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
That's one good rig from Mike there. I personally use a single-hook rig with a size 1 Mustad Viking hook to 24" of 20lb Amnesia, usually with a few beads at the hook end and a 3-way swivel at the other with a light line down to a disposable sinker (folded up bit of sheet-lead with hole drilled through).

Bream will take most baits, but I find four in particular very effective: (in no particular order) squid strips, mackerel guts, frozen ragworm (for some reason) and cockles. Try all of these and see what the fish are on on the day. Lug I've never had much luck with.

The frozen rag was an accidental discovery. I was out from Aberystwyth a few years back with Nick Hughes. We were getting a few fish and Nick rummaged in his cold-box for the cockles. He also found some "old bait" that a previous club had abandoned and this turned out to be king rag, much the worse-looking for having been frozen. Didn't smell too good either!

Well I thought "why not" and put a bit on my hook. Fish straight away! This was repeated time and again for the rest of the session - had to stop fishing to have a ***-break!! Good specimens too!

Use a light spinning rod and fixed spool with 10lb line (if tide permits) and you'll enjoy some great sport!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
22 Posts
try the small hockeye lures,(used for sandeel) RED pattern outfishes the white,tip hooks with sqid tentacles outfishing any other set up for myself in swansea ,also good for the plaice. hope this helps,

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Folks,

Just to say thank you for your help.

I have a few basic Bream rigs in my wallet, however I will be spending this weekend making up new ones as per your suggestions.

Once again thank you.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I use a 3 hook trace of size 6 long shank hooks under a sliding float to fish a reef for them in 18 foot of water. Float set at 12 foot = bream, 6 foot = triggers, 3 foot = garfish on this mark.

The other mark is 40 foot + so I use baited shrimp rigs fished tight on the bottom.

Bait for both is a fingernail sized bit of mack belly or a bit of a fresh sandeel

What I have found with them is that I need a big bag of rubby dubby to bring them to the boat and keep them interested. I put one onion sack inside another and fill with boiled rice, bread, mack, sandeel, and whitebait. The two bags are to ensure only bits come out of the bag, you want your bait to be the biggest bit. The whitebait scales in the water make a big difference in catch rate here. I constantly shake the bag to ensure a steady stream of particles in the water.

Good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
tryna get the upperhand are we drew?
i am usualy use the same as a bream shore rig if that helps you at all
2/3avis booms spcaed about 6inches apart with very short traces, sometimes as short at 2-3inches and a size 4/2abeerdeen hook, a strong 1 though, you never know what will take the bait
the short traces are so once the fish hit the bait they have nowhere to go other than hook them selfs, if not so many fish are about or they are being more fussy i use a longer trace, depends on the state of tide to

·
Registered
69 Posts
hi drew, i have recently been down to brighton for a bream session all you need is size 1/0 hooks wire as bream swollow the things and are easy to pull out and a box or two of squid slice the squid long and thin, now all you need to do is have a trace on the bottom three ft and about four ft up a boom and about a ft trace then when your skipperanchors up drop your six to ten ounce to the bottom then lift your rod then release line til the weight hits the bottom slowly follow this process(trowlling) and you will be sure to have a great time, also check out mine and mrshovs site to see my trips heres the link, i boat fish all the time http://www.mrshov.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ you'll see all our adventures, hope i've helped out a bit, all the best mrlar :cool:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
hi Drew,

i was fishing on valkyrie out of langstone on sat and out of 10 anglers i was the only one to connect with any bream landing 7.
the rig i used was a 4ft 20lb flourocarbon with 2 droppers tied with water knots.the droppers were only about 6" long with 2 4mm flouro beads above a size 4 carp hook.this was fished below a boom as a flowing trace while the tide was running.each of the 3 hooks was baited with squid.
during slack water i fish with a paternoster as it tangles less than a flowing trace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts