World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya Folks,
Had lots going on at work & home over the last few months so my 1st report for God knows how long.
Anyways our planned sesh with the crew was on but a few of the lads otherwise engaged so it was only going to be Shane & myself trying our luck.
Not really ideal conditions with a keen & cold N/W breeze but we were on the pier for low tide (7.45pm) to claim our peg for the night.

After seeing reports of the odd Thornie showing on the beach i went with my usual Sh1t or Bust tactics- pulley pennell with a 5/0 Manta Xtra bottom hook & a 3/0 Sakuma Top Gun top hook.
I was going to have a couple of chucks with big worm baits then go on the Bluey/Squid wraps, Shane was after the elusive Codling so was going to stay on worm baits.
1st chuck resulted in a Whiting apiece so we'd both dodged the blank.
By the 3rd chuck with Shane on 2 Ting & me on 1 i'd just decided to switch to fish baits for the rest of the sesh when i noticed my rod tip drop back. Picking the rod up i could feel something that defo was'nt a Ting pulling back. While reeling in i was certain it was'nt a Doggie either but kept my gob shut till my prize broke the surface.
Success! A little female Thornie of 3lbs or so.
Excuse the crappy pic, Shane had his phone on video rather than photo 馃ぁ馃ぁ馃ぁ馃ぁ so it's a 1 sec long vid i've had to screenshot.
Hat Entertainment Font Performing arts Event

Despite the fish baits from then on unfortunately that was the only Thornie to show so we sacked it at 2.15am-around an hour after high.
Shane had 4 Ting & i had 5 Ting & my 1st local January Thornie (i've had a personal quest for a number of years to try & catch a Thornie from the Fylde coast for every month of the year (not necessarily in the same year). Uptill now a December or January Thornie had eluded me

Thanks for reading & tight lines.
Rick馃槣

Registered
When the whiting was on the wall, you managed to rise above a thorny subject;)

Great to see you out wetting a line Rick, hopefully it鈥檚 just the start of a great year.

cheers willie

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the whiting was on the wall, you managed to rise above a thorny subject;)

Great to see you out wetting a line Rick, hopefully it鈥檚 just the start of a great year.

cheers willie
Lol 馃檮馃檮馃檮
Hiya Willie,
Cheers mate- just got to wait 10 & 1/2 months now to try & crack that December Thornie.
Tight lines.
Rick馃槣

Registered
Great to hear about life on the North pier again:love:.
Thanks for sharing your latest trip and well done on getting your target species.

Registered
nice report sir good to see you back fishing

Reactions: Huss Hustler

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Top report as usual Rick, nice to see your out and about again and showing Shane how it's done. Hopefully I'll be out myself soon when I can catch a decent tide with journeying from Manchester tight lines mate.
Hiya Ron,
It's taken me the best part of 10 years trying to tick a local January Thornie off the list, hope i don't have to wait another 10 years to tick the December one off
馃槺馃槺馃槺馃槺馃槺馃槺馃槺.
As always with fishing things even themselves out sooner or later so i don't think it'll be too long before Shane get's his own back.
Hope you find a few fish when you do get to wet a line mate.
Tight lines.
Rick 馃槣

Registered
Well done Rick, nice thornie to kicks things off (y)

Reactions: Huss Hustler
1 - 15 of 15 Posts