World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, anyone tried Blakeney point? I know its either ferry or a hell of a walk from Cley but always fancied a shufftie, can remember an old uncle telling of catching thornies on fresh mackerel, any info gratefully recieved.

Are you allowed to fish while sea birds may be nesting?

How about lure fishing behind in Morston pit?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Hi,
I work in blakeney and was talking of this only yesterday to our mainenance man at work. He heard of someone who fishes it on a regular basis. Rumors of Mullet, Sea trout, flatties and Bass but this seems to be a well kept secret. On the seaward side and in the pit. As far as im aware there is an area cordoned off for seals and bird life but I could be wrong. You can walk from blakeney carnser car park straight out over the wooden bridge and across the marsh at low ish tide. I will try to find out more.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that crocodileteeth, will be gratefull for any more info, am itching to give it a go, maybe in a week or two

·
Registered
81 Posts
Crocodile teeth,if you are planning on walking over the pit at low tide be careful!Get your tides spot on as the water comes in really fast.It is a long walk too.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I've been over and fished the seaward side a far bit both from a boat and the shore. Best way to get over is to ask Jimmy Bean or JimboTemple seal trips to drop you off. The drop off point is a few hundred yards to the east of the old lifeboat station. Once over there you'll have the following options in terms of returning:
1.Staying for a maximum of three hours on the same tide (if you get the first boat over).
2.Staying for about 7 hours and walking back at low water. Please be very careful.
3.Staying over for a full tide (12 hours) and getting the boat back. You will need to arrange this.
4.Walking back to Cley (4 miles from the point eye).
The terns are nesting May/June/July and their breeding areas are fenced off. There are full-time wardens over on the point and the birds are watched 24/7, please keep away from them. You will be asked to move if you are disturbing them. The colonies are mainly near the Little Eye (far west end of the point), and there is plenty of room to fish to the east. If you go straight over the "long hills" from the drop off point, this is a good area to try.
There is usually a good surf running in as the tide floods. Rays certainly used to be caught along here although I would guess mid June onwards would be a better time as this is when the sandeel numbers are at a peak and there are more mackerel about. If you are going to target rays it might be better to keep out of the surf and fish the flatter water?
The pit can fish, with good numbers of mullet and bass up the Glaven and Stiffkey river outlets at certain times of the year. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Bluejacket, don't fancy the marsh walk so thought I might try the Cley yomp maybe picking up a couple of mackerel on the way, how have you faired when giving it a go?
Probably give it till late june /july before having a sorte

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Not bad, not bad at all. 'Tis a good time mid summer. If you can plan your day around walking out on the hard at low water it will save yer feet. It's a glamour trail to fish the point. A lot of people aspire to it and fall by the wayside. It's a long trek there and back,it needs a bit of planning and thought.When you get there it can be crep the same as anywhere. Mind you if you get there and fish it I guarantee you will always remember it. Good luck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry Bluejacket didn't read your reply in the right context, thought you replied not bad in referance my "master plan"
Do you or anyone else fancy a day testing the water? Maybe pick up a few mackerel & launce on the way then give it a shot, you never know

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
No worries Rickett. Sure, about the third week in June is a good a time as any to have a look up there if the conditions are right.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice one Bluejacket, will give you a shout end of May, its going to be a long day, will check out tides for an early ebb with weather in the lap of the gods! Look forward to meeting up, all the best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts