World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

So i'm pretty new to fishing and I would just like a helping hand with where i'm currently going wrong, and how to get to a point where i'm actually half alright and don't need to keep asking for advice!

I currently have a 10' spinning rod and a little 6.5' cheap spinner that I got for the missus last summer, which rarely gets used by her (shock), with some cheap fladen/JW reels and 20lb mono (on the larger rod - dont know whats on the smaller one as it was bought as a bundle). I've got a bunch of wedges/soft lures/feathers, but I just don't see to have any luck when I go fishing.

At the moment, i'm mainly going rock/beach fishing and try to go in the evenings two hours before high tide through til like an hour after. I mainly use my wedges because last year I caught a few mack with them, but absolutely sod all this year from three trips so far.. Ideally I do still want to be targeting mack's and maybe a few pollock or bass.

Any advice as to what gear to get and what to keep from my stuff, and general rules for the tides when fishing from beaches? ie, is it better to fish low tides on beaches, or to fish the ebb?

I'd massively appreciate ANY help anyone can give, as you can probably tell i'm just a bit lost atm.

Cheers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Keep at it dude :) Have a binge watch for tips n advice of the plethora of youtube videos, some are bound to be local to your area. Summer species your targetting just ain't around in any great numbers at the moment,couple of weeks should see some changes, and fish dont care about the cost of your gear...

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Hiya Josh,
It's hard to say about best stage of tide without knowing what part of the country your fishing marks are.
On most marks i fish or have fished (mainly the West coast of England, Wales & Ireland) the Mackerel (imho) seem to show more when there's a decent depth of water (towards high tide & the 1st of the ebb) especially on the beaches.
Again imho, if you're after Pollack & Wrasse on the rocks water depth & state of tide don't seem to matter as much (i've caught them in both surprisingly deep & surprisingly shallow water).
Rick;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
As already mentioned It's hard to say, right now we're going into neap tides(opposite of a spring tide) water depth and tide flow could be affecting you.
in the north west at the moment there's very few mackerel showing.
I'd always recommend trying new thing with your retrieve. Sink and draw, jigging, straight retrieve, trying it at difrent depths too.
There's lots you can do but if the fish arent there you can't catch them. Don't get disheartened and enjoy being out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts