World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I ventured North this morning into the land of hairy toed Hobbits known locally as 'The Shire'.

Crawton was my target for catching my first ever mackerel... And I'm still waiting! Conditions weren't the best with the odd sunny spell and a force 4-5 northerly with around 4-6 feet of swell running North to South.

The dreaded blank was kind of saved tho when a black backed gull went in after my feathers and got caught up... Bloody thing put a fair bend in the rod as I tried to bring it in to clear it off!

I am disappointed as I tried every mackie rig I have to no avail. Ah well, at least I was out in the fresh air and not in a stuffy office!

Neil.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
we all have days when we blank mate , but its stll good to get out ,.

i remeber catching a seagull on mackie feathers when i was a kid , brung it in and it attacked me as i was trying to untangle it , they are very powerfull birds.

hope your next trip is more successfull

al

·
Registered
144 Posts
When the makrel are in m8 you will know it , i was makie bashing in portsoy harbour, the weekend of the boat festival and between me and a friend we had 81 for our two hours work :showoff: filled the freezer nicely :happy: but since then it has been very dull , we had a go at them off of willys rock down by the boyne quary (dod nae cod ) knows the place :laugh: (Dod) was into them first but i never had a touch until i worked out that they wasnt into feathers so i cut the feathers off the hooks and casted in and got a full set of makies lol we had a few that evening , even my young lad had a bash at them , he was in his element :fishing: BUT a blank we have had big style since then :cry: , it can only get better :cold: :victory:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Well I ventured North this morning into the land of hairy toed Hobbits known locally as 'The Shire'.

Crawton was my target for catching my first ever mackerel... And I'm still waiting! Conditions weren't the best with the odd sunny spell and a force 4-5 northerly with around 4-6 feet of swell running North to South.

The dreaded blank was kind of saved tho when a black backed gull went in after my feathers and got caught up... Bloody thing put a fair bend in the rod as I tried to bring it in to clear it off!

I am disappointed as I tried every mackie rig I have to no avail. Ah well, at least I was out in the fresh air and not in a stuffy office!

Neil.
For some strange reason this year mate - the mackerel around "the shire" came earlier than normal (well these are my findings only), but not in great numbers. I have been down a few times, but had to work hard for only a few mackerel, got 2 in 4 hours one session, and 2 in another 2 hour session both in the last week.

Even when conditions were great, they were very few and far between.

Anyway, as for lures, I only buy daylight lures with about a size 2 to 1/0 hook these days for mackerel, as they are cheap and the mackerel seem to like them. However, mackerel don't seem to care what you throw at them as long as they can see it and it moves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts