World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been keeping the legs, claws, small and dead peeler in the freezer to use as ground bait. does anyone else do this?
tonight i put 10 dead peeler that got forgotten about from my boat trip along with a couple of fatalities where i have neglected them for a couple of days:uhuh: anyway i put them in a blender shell and all(not the one we put food in), and along with some frozen legs and claws and around 10oz of rag that had gone snotty(neglect:uhuh: )what came out was loads of lovely thick fish attracting:g: bait. does anyone else use this? i plan to put it into finger bandages and freeze down for the winter

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was hoping to use it still frozen, o n the hook so should last a while, the sort of bait to experiment on a second rod, its normal shore crab so shouldnt be illegal

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
aye ya reet mate,no harm,second rod aint a bad idea while main one is out with proper bait on ,experiment ya never know what will produce ,i get ya meaning what ya trying mate

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive just got some finger bandages so here comes the messy bit. its really thick and gloopy so once frozen it should take a while to wash out. the shells also hold most of the crab flavour the same as prawn shells that are used for stock. i wonder if our lass will let me let me roast the crab in the oven first,lol

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i wish i had room in the freezer to store stuff like that. i've got enough fish bait to use a rubby in a match in a couple of weeks incase the gars turn up and i can't get any macky to mince up.

·
Registered
229 Posts
How about using the fingers off a surgical glove pretty thin and once threaded on shank you can peirce it a few times to release juices .being white you got visual may have to soak gloves to rid of any scent

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Youll be shown the door Bazza Mate.

ive just got some finger bandages so here comes the messy bit. its really thick and gloopy so once frozen it should take a while to wash out. the shells also hold most of the crab flavour the same as prawn shells that are used for stock. i wonder if our lass will let me let me roast the crab in the oven first,lol

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
One of the lads showed me a roll of light polythene tubing he had bought for the job abou half inch across. He filled it with blended gunge and tied each end then pierced it. Only thing was I forgot to ask where he got it from.

Someone else made some pouches out of that thin material that you get in those bulk cd holders.

Personally If using such baits I just freeze them and wrap them over the back of a normal peeler with a few mussels. I think the fast release concentrated juices can draw the fish fast then after that the peeler scent can do the business for the rest of the cast.

Ive seen people blend mussels and old worms too - again the high concentration level of scent entering the water all at once must be beneficial.

Good idea with the legs - could make a cracking ground bait as well.

Cheers - Glenn

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ive tried to put my gunk into finger bandages tonight, jesus its messy. after a couple of hours trying different methods i finally got it right. using the same method cake decorators use with a bag and funnel, it needs some fine tuning though. what i was left with looks like it will work a treat and ive worked out i should have about 20 or so 3-4oz pouches of pure peeler and rag gunk. like you say glenn it must help and will make a cracking ground bait especially for smaller species maybe using the pouch instead of a lead, aslong as im not whacking it out it could work

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i really can't see that second rate crab will work any where near as well as fresh frozen crab. ground bait yes, but for hook bait no IMHO.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
you would be better using a film canister and pump the mush into that as an atractor leave it in a container an use a large seringe to fill it
give it a go works a treat hope this helps

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
Funnily enough baza, I've kept a load of legs, claws and shells in the freezer too. I was thinking along similar lines to yourself, blending it all up and somehow turning it into a bait. I've used peeled legs and claws as bait before, cracking for flounders, but I can't be bothered to peel them to freeze down.

If you're just interested in using it as an added attractant to the hookbait, have you thought about the pva bags carp anglers use?:g: Similar to the finger bandages, you fill them with whatever, tie up each end and attach to the hook. However they're designed to dissolve slowly on contact with water to release the groundbait in the vicinity of the hookbait:) crafty carpers!

Carpers blend up all sorts as bait and make them into "boilies" I think, perhaps it's possible to do this with crab?:g: I think they bind the contents with egg or something ?? worth looking into maybe?:)

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
ive tried to put my gunk into finger bandages tonight, jesus its messy. after a couple of hours trying different methods i finally got it right. using the same method cake decorators use with a bag and funnel, it needs some fine tuning though. what i was left with looks like it will work a treat and ive worked out i should have about 20 or so 3-4oz pouches of pure peeler and rag gunk. like you say glenn it must help and will make a cracking ground bait especially for smaller species maybe using the pouch instead of a lead, aslong as im not whacking it out it could work
Why not use second hand(excuse the pun) surgical glove fingers - - best bet would be to go down your local gaenocology department and collect some from the bin they would be impregnated with natural fish odours and female pheromones already:yucky: Or as I suggested in the other similar thread ("clingfilm") your wifes used tights which would also have the same beneficial aromas and qualities!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I have the perfect solution. I will be trying it out shortly with some blended baits. Have been thinking about this for a while now. If what I use works, then I may let you know about it! ;)

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Being a carp angler of many years i make my own bait ..you could make a paste by liquidising all your crab rag lug fish add to 6 beaten eggs mix together..then add fishmeal to stiffen into a paste [more fishmeal added the stiffer the paste ]this can be moulded to the hook and is less messy than the liquid sausage you can sandwich between bandage and freeze in strips and cut to required lenths there are some on the market done in a similar way with crab not sure what the companys name who are selling it

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I like your idea tony c, and i can see it working well in theory, expeically with a paste spring on the hook, but ill be honest ive not seen any real results with fishmeal in sea fishing. But i can see the blended leftovers mixed with bread crumb or bran in your feeder rig being a killer in gullys or over banks and in rivers etc. Let me know how you get on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts