World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the Lighthouse today from 8-12pm.
At about 9am the local fisher man in the area decided to lay his nets right around the area we were fishing and doomed all of us on the peer to a days fishing without a single bite.

Well that would have been the case if I had not watched that Wilson guy on Sky TV catching mullet with rag worm on some small river hooks.
It just so happened that I had some size 0/8 river hooks so I made up a pennel float rig and lobbed it in. Hoping that the mullet that enter the harbour at high tide would save my day.
Within minutes the float went under, so quick in fact that I was still setting up another rod with mackerel feathers and didn’t notice my catch being reeled in by a friend.
Not a mullet but a blenny.
Second cast within 3 minutes another blenny, and so on until the winds picked up and spoilt things, driving my float into the peer wall and tangling my line in the wooden struts there. :(
Decided to go back to real fishing after that but those blennies were fun while it lasted.
So didn’t blank after all due to those weird little fish (one of which was quite big well bigger that I thought they grow)and a hyper crab.

Will definitely try that tactic again who knows I may even catch a mullet. :)
Seems that guy in the black fishing boat is ruining the area for all of the serious anglers, luckily I'm easily pleased with blenny bashing :D

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
yeah,,i have at my disposal,,photo evidence of that black boat(or tin of nails),,trawling inside the breakwater.. :mad:

The skipper also dumps Diesel everywhere when he docks after a trip out.. :mad:

SOMTHING MUST BE DONE..because if it wasent for the kamikase mackeral,,i would have blanked at least six times in the last month fishing off that pier..

VERY SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few of the guys at the end of the peer were talking about the guy in the black boat being caught selling undersize specimins. Fines but allowed to continue fishing.

Phil the Float said:
An ideal situation for casters to pratice accuracy!
Yeah but he was just outside of my casting distance. That did cross my mind though.

Marcus: your mission should you choose to accept it is to infiltrate this vessel with a small hand drill and scuttle the craft. Of course we will deny all knowledge of your existence should you fail in this mission.

Good luck!! :D

Maybe we should pass on his details to the ALF and tell them he uses guinea pigs and bait.

But seriously it would not have taken much to sail just a bit out to sea, he was less than about 400yds in to the shore. and laid his nets completely cutting the fish from getting in to the peer. Hes wrecking the fishing completely fishing that close in :mad:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phil the Float said:
I my opinion float fishing is real fishing, not all the fish are at a distance. ;) ;)
To be honest today was the first time I have used a float and i'm glad I did as I enjoyed it completely. I does seem a little limited by the weather though and i did get some funny looks when I produced my little 6ft telerod and proceeded to fish about 6yrds out to sea.

Its a pitty that bloody trawler took all the good fish away as i would have loved to catch a Bass on such light tackle.

Marcus If your down the peer soon theres a float tied to the second wooden post from the lighthouse . It should have a fish on it as the float went under but snagged when I reeled it in. Oh Bugger :(

But I will definately fish using floats again if the weather permits.

G

·
I have caught fish, on the float, less than 6 feet out, some even closer than that. Some of these fish were 3lb bass, mackerel, garfish. On light tackle, they are brilliant.

A friend and myself were fishing Ogmore Deeps one day, nothing came to the beachcastersm so I got out my trusty float gear and bass rod. There were 2 others fishing the same platform as us, they were starting to take the pee out of us to each other, till I pulled in a pollack of just over 1lb in weight less than 10' out.

It is an underestimated method of fishing in the sea that is sometimes overlooked in favour of casting to the next continent! Do what I do ignore the comments and look, at least you were catching fish and having fun when the fishing was hard, did they catch anything I wonder!??

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Phil the Float said:
I have caught fish, on the float, less than 6 feet out, some even closer than that. Some of these fish were 3lb bass, mackerel, garfish. On light tackle, they are brilliant.

A friend and myself were fishing Ogmore Deeps one day, nothing came to the beachcastersm so I got out my trusty float gear and bass rod. There were 2 others fishing the same platform as us, they were starting to take the pee out of us to each other, till I pulled in a pollack of just over 1lb in weight less than 10' out.

It is an underestimated method of fishing in the sea that is sometimes overlooked in favour of casting to the next continent! Do what I do ignore the comments and look, at least you were catching fish and having fun when the fishing was hard, did they catch anything I wonder!??

hi phoil fish close to the harbour wall on the lower deak at the end.one trip i took 30 smelt, loads of gobys.and 2lb wrasse all on float the smeltd caught on quill float 4 lb line,size 12 hooks brand :cool:

G

·
Brand said:
hi phoil fish close to the harbour wall on the lower deak at the end.one trip i took 30 smelt, loads of gobys.and 2lb wrasse all on float the smeltd caught on quill float 4 lb line,size 12 hooks brand :cool:
Even small stuff can be fun, especially when nothing else is biting, yes I know it is always nice to catch that big fish, but, not always though!

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
marcus said:
yeah,,i have at my disposal,,photo evidence of that black boat(or tin of nails),,trawling inside the breakwater.. :mad:

The skipper also dumps Diesel everywhere when he docks after a trip out.. :mad:

SOMTHING MUST BE DONE..because if it wasent for the kamikase mackeral,,i would have blanked at least six times in the last month fishing off that pier..

VERY SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS :mad: :mad:
B4 we get too carried away with small fish and floats (something I'm keen to try again BTW) Can't you do something with this evidence Marcus? I know Defra are bloody useless but what about the environment agency/ Why not give the photos to the local rag? If it's anything like the Llanelli Star they are desperate for news and will print anything then perhaps the powers that be will be forced to act.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts