World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

In a weather window last week we saw some excellent fishing from Plymouth- in the region of 350-400 kg of pollack by lunch time on a 9 man charter, today was somewhat different!

As usual after very wet weather the water was dirty, but normally it will clear when offshore a few miles. We steamed 30+ miles out and there was no improvement, I know of others that went further and still found no clarity. Between the fleet of 6 charter boats we had the only fish - 1 pollack about 6lb. Between us and boats from the neighboring port of Salcombe the channel was covered pretty much South of Dartmouth to south of Looe by 35-40 miles. We all found no clear water, just really turbid stuff with about 18-24 inches of visibility. Fish were showing on the screens but nothing taking bait or lures.

First impressions was it was muddy runoff from all the storms etc - but that much? It could, I guess, be something to do with increased nutrients from runoff and an associated early stages of a bloom? But again, on that scale?

2 questions really - 1. What could it be? 2. Has anyone working the south west coast - Dartmouth to Falmouth - found any clear water?

Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
The constant gales and torrential rain have played their part in stirring things up no doubt but the water temps abnormally high for Feb so early bloom could well be a possibility. Rob

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rob
Cheers for the reply, if it is a bloom the outlook could be worse - any settled weather with a bit of sun on the water could really make it grow. We've had a quick word with guys from Plymouth Marine Labs who reckon that to get clear of it you would need to be in 80+m, so that's the western approaches or the Hurd for us then!!! They are looking in to what it is this week I believe, fingers crossed it clears soon as full bin 1 trip to 1 fish between the fleet the next is not a good prospect :(
cheers
kev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts