World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all going to get some lug for an upcoming trip to elie,was gona freeze some for back up,and dig some the day before aswell,when freezing do you just wrap them in newspaper and cover in salt?and for future reference can you pump,blow lug? thanks stevie..

G

·
found this on net

Roll ten into a sheet of newspaper and put it in the fridge, the following day rewrap the wormies and put em back in the fridge there they should last about a week I try to use them the day i pump them or the day after, this stops all the faffing about with paper cos i just leave them outside in my bucket

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
If you intend to salt lugworm then there is no need to freeze at all.The whole point of salting meat/fish in the past was because it was the only way they had to preserve food as the salt takes out all the moisture.Layer your worms in salt,then leave for 3 days to a week,(no more),then take them out,shake off most of the salt then store in paper,container, whatever. Freezing whole lug will just leave you a yucky mess on thawing.
If you have enough room in your fridge,or better still a bait fridge,then lug will keep for a week no bother with nothing more to do than put them into trays,no water,no paper,just nice and cold.I dig bait every sunday and it lasts with no problem for the whole week.

I just put about this amount in cat litter trays,(£1 each at Poundland)

Then stack them in a fridge in my shed

Just as an afterthought though Wilky. Any particular reason that you've chose Elie for baitfishing? Just that it's probably not the place that a local would pick if you're after anything other than mackerel.

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
them cat litter trays are great i got load of blacks in mine from the low low tide other day

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info,dont really know the area bob,were staying there for a long weekend,so willing to travel wherever,its a works fishing weekend,i have no local knowledge tho,any would be appreciated thanks..and like the set up there bob,was just raking the internet,on info about peelers and lug there watching videos on bait.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks bob only been sea fishing for a couple of years now,and like every other kind of fishing i need to get right into it bigtime and try to learn and understand everything about it,since taking it up never done any other fishing,gona have a good look at your site and hopefully catch some nice fish,much appreciated,have caught a few species since i started,dying to catch awrasse or pollock,we go up there at end of august,thanks again...stevie.

·
Registered
467 Posts
the beach lol no seriously mate people not keen on giving up digging spots just a case of taking your fork then digging till you find them look for casts on the sand hope this helps

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
whats sea like at mo bob i was guessing its back to rubbish again
Sea last night was great big swell from the SE,(again),and the water was very murky.Has settled a bit today but still a good swell running for the summer time.I was down the Red Pier for a couple of hours last night,(see below),as it was about the only place fishable and it was tricky going,lots of lost tackle with the big sea.

Hi Codhead Bob,hoping To Fish Up East Coast In The Next Few Days,any Advise As To What Marks Are Fishing Well?.could You Also Advise Me As To Where You Managed To Dig Your Worms?.i`m Fed Up Using Frozen Baits,although Squid Is Usually Ok!.
Pretty much any of the marks will get you fish at this time of year but be prepared for tackle losses in this area as nearly all of the marks fish into thick kelp beds,but seeing as that's where the fish will be you've no choice really.The state of the sea on the day will govern where you will be able to fish as the traditional summer rock marks are often being swamped with big waves this year. You could do worse than just pick a pier from a choice of St Monans,Pittenweem,Anstruther,Cellardyke,or Crail. If you're not used to fishing hard ground then Anstruther is probably a good starting point as it's a wee bit more forgiving than the others kelp-wise.I was down there last night for a couple of hours and although the conditions were awful,there was a wee selection of fish still knocking about. For bait you will need either lugworms or crab. Macky strips will get you a bit of interest from coalies and possibly codling,but not usually wrasse.Squid,although fine in winter,catches hee-haw in summer. Nobody will give up their specific bait digging spots,just try a search for lugworm on this forum and see what you can 'dig up'.

Anstruther Red Pier last night.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts