World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to be towed in at Newhaven yesterday. Thanks for the recue guys!

A 10 amp fuse under the hood blew on our 50hp Honda 4 stroke. It must have blown turning off the engine or on starting. We had been wrecking all day turning on and off without a problem.

A few trips back a 25amp in line fuse blew - the one from the same battery as powers the engine to the electric panel for all the electronic gear.

I thought that the electronics 25 amp blew as I started the engine. I have been rewiring and it could have been a short circuit beween some unfinished loose wires.

SO, bit worried and no idea about where to start looking. Are the two issues linked? I would appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Pedro

The fuse that blew under the hood, do you know which circuit this protects??

Having replaced the fuse does the engine now operate correctly or is it still blowing the fuse??
If the motor is now working ok, do'nt worry about it but make sure you carry some spares when you next go out, fuses do deteriorate with age , due to heat , and can fail with no apparent reason.

If the fuse is still blowing then you are going to need to isolate the problem by disconnecting everything not required to run the motor, which should leave just the control box & tachometer.
If the fuse still blows then you will know that problem lies in the motor/ control box, if it does'nt then problem will be accessories that you have added!!

Hope this helps

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
697 Posts
Had to be towed in at Newhaven yesterday. Thanks for the recue guys!

A 10 amp fuse under the hood blew on our 50hp Honda 4 stroke. It must have blown turning off the engine or on starting. We had been wrecking all day turning on and off without a problem.

A few trips back a 25amp in line fuse blew - the one from the same battery as powers the engine to the electric panel for all the electronic gear.

Peter, your welcome twice. Thanks for the beer. hope you manage to find an answer.

Brian

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pedro

The fuse that blew under the hood, do you know which circuit this protects??

Having replaced the fuse does the engine now operate correctly or is it still blowing the fuse??
If the motor is now working ok, do'nt worry about it but make sure you carry some spares when you next go out, fuses do deteriorate with age , due to heat , and can fail with no apparent reason.

If the fuse is still blowing then you are going to need to isolate the problem by disconnecting everything not required to run the motor, which should leave just the control box & tachometer.
If the fuse still blows then you will know that problem lies in the motor/ control box, if it does'nt then problem will be accessories that you have added!!

Hope this helps

Cheers Ian
Thanks for that. Having changed the fuse all seems ok. I might run the electrics off a separate battery until it goes flat to isolate the engines needs and see if the fuse goes again.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
If you've been rewiring it suggests a dead short somewhere, either as wires touching as you suggest or a bit of worn/cut insulation. How have you secured your new wiring? Could you have screwed through or trapped some of the new stuff? Incidentally I always run the engine from one battery and the electronics from another - been 'bitten' by that problem in the past :)

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Dual battery charger on the auction site,very easy to install,been posted on here how to fit if you are not sure.

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
How do you keep the second battery charged?
hi pete i just take my second battery home every third trip to charge it up..and when its not home its on a solor panel..just to maintain the charge..not had a problem with it going flat even thou i run my plotter.radio and finder and bilge pump from it..andy

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think for the next few trips I will only run the engine off the main battery and the electronics off another - just to see if the fuse blows again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts