World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fianlly after years of talking about it, finally made the decision to fish the Bristol Channel.

After a pleasant drive up from Torbay, finally found our spot but was suprised to see the tide was out at what looked like a couple of miles. Not used to this, on the south west coast I am used to fishing all states of tide.

Waited for the tide to come up and 2 hours before high, finally got my lug worm wet. Fished single hook pulley rigs with lug on tipped with squid. Had a couple of small pollock and whiting but nothing to shout about. It started to get dark and everyone else packed up and went home.

Continued fishing on and then I had a tap, tap on my rod tip and immediately thought COD, wound down and struck and could feel something, in it came and the all of a sudden it went slack.......lost it. Oh well cast out again..

Half an hour later the line on my other rod went slack, thought that my lead had just slipped so just wound in the slack line until i felt something pull back. Got excited now, could feel something fighting me as I reeled it in. Thought it was a big fish when my drag started to slip. Got my father in law to reach over the wall and grab my shockleader and up came.............a conger!!!

Yippee and he was big, about 3 feet long, guesstimated about 12lb. Wow my first ever double figure fish (i think)......well happy now...

Luckily there was a guy walking along with a camera who took the photo and promised to email it to me, will add photo later when i get it.

Losing another 2 fish on the retrieve then didnt matter. Definately worth the drive up to the channel and can't wait to get back up there again. Will go and buy some conger rigs today and try some congering around Torbay.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nice one Mike! Well done on the double, i'm yet to get one! Good luck with the Torbay congering, there are some very big ones in the bay!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Good fish there mate, the Congers seem to be in the Channel now. Cant get hold of one myself, but im sure it will happen........well I hope it will!

Good fish mate

Ben

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi
Have been thinking about giving the bristol Channel a go myself this year. I have heard the blue Anchor mentioned before but where is it ?
Cheers
Kyle

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi
Have been thinking about giving the bristol Channel a go myself this year. I have heard the blue Anchor mentioned before but where is it ?
Cheers
Kyle
Try moving your mouse up and clicking on venues. 3 more clicks and you will find all you need to know..................

·
Registered
125 Posts
nice one mike, only ever had 3lb and smaller myself, my mate did have one that stood 5 foot long and that was 12.5 lb so probly yours was under the double. (not raining on your parade or peeing on anyones fireworks) just letting you know. hope to catch one like yours.:notworthy
tight lines n wet worms:)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Fianlly after years of talking about it, finally made the decision to fish the Bristol Channel.

After a pleasant drive up from Torbay, finally found our spot but was suprised to see the tide was out at what looked like a couple of miles. Not used to this, on the south west coast I am used to fishing all states of tide.

Waited for the tide to come up and 2 hours before high, finally got my lug worm wet. Fished single hook pulley rigs with lug on tipped with squid. Had a couple of small pollock and whiting but nothing to shout about. It started to get dark and everyone else packed up and went home.

Continued fishing on and then I had a tap, tap on my rod tip and immediately thought COD, wound down and struck and could feel something, in it came and the all of a sudden it went slack.......lost it. Oh well cast out again..

Half an hour later the line on my other rod wnet slack, thought that my lead had just slipped so just wound in the slack line until i felt something pull back. Got excited now, could feel something fighting me as I reeled it in. Thought it was a big fish when my drag started to slip. Got my father in law to reach over the wall and grab my shockleader and up came.............a conger!!!

Yippee and he was big, about 3 feet long, guesstimated about 12lb. Wow my first ever double figure fish (i think)......well happy now...

Luckily there was a guy walking along with a camera who took the photo and promised to email it to me, will add photo later when i get it.

Losing another 2 fish on the retrieve then didnt matter. Definately worth the drive up to the channel and can't wait to get back up there again. Will go and buy some conger rigs today and try some congering around Torbay.
nice one,didnt the previous shore caught record come from torbay area,

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
nice one mike, only ever had 3lb and smaller myself, my mate did have one that stood 5 foot long and that was 12.5 lb so probly yours was under the double. (not raining on your parade or peeing on anyones fireworks) just letting you know. hope to catch one like yours.:notworthy
tight lines n wet worms:)

I had one on Newlyn pier....18 months ago....it was about 4-5 feet long and went just under 16lb.

I also had another that went 19 1/2lbs and another that went 25lb dead. Both eels were between 4-5 feet long.

Heres the one at newlyn.....

conger_newlyn_edit.jpg

I reckon that around the 4-5 feet mark conger vary alot in size......just my humble opinion:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
nice one,didnt the previous shore caught record come from torbay area,
It did indeed mate. For a long time many of the Torbay marks were well know for throwing up 50lb plus eels!

·
Official Jokes Forum Examiner
61,171 Posts

Half an hour later the line on my other rod went slack, thought that my lead had just slipped so just wound in the slack line until i felt something pull back. Got excited now, could feel something fighting me as I reeled it in. Thought it was a big fish when my drag started to slip. Got my father in law to reach over the wall and grab my shockleader and up came.............a conger!!!

nice report :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: , nice eel too :D

·
Official Jokes Forum Examiner
61,171 Posts
I had one on Newlyn pier....18 months ago....it was about 4-5 feet long and went just under 16lb.

I also had another that went 19 1/2lbs and another that went 25lb dead. Both eels were between 4-5 feet long.

Heres the one at newlyn.....

View attachment 9592

I reckon that around the 4-5 feet mark conger vary alot in size......just my humble opinion:)
nice eel tony :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
finally got my photo up, in the light of day does look a bit smaller now.....but it weighed a lot on my imaginary scales

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts