World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect many on here will already have picked up on the news - through Facebook - of yesterday's unsuccessful battle with a Bluefin Tuna.

Here's the initial short report from Andrew Alsop - Whitewater Charters:

Fight of the season for us today, a 4hr and 20 min battle with a huge estimated 500lb plus tuna.
Well done to Chris Betts for the ultimate pain locker battle on my 20/40 blue dog rod and Tyrnos 30 loaded with 60lb braid.

John John Beck did his job on deck giving drinks and helping me trying to stop the fish spooling us, we had drama with losing hydraulic oil and steering plus the reel jamming.

Andrew has also posted a couple of short video clips of the early stages of the fight. Just listen to the reel 'screaming'.

Any rate for those able to access Facebook here's the original link -
https://www.facebook.com/Whitewatercharters/posts/673041619462320?fref=nf - together with that for one of the video clips -

I guess given that superb achievement now's not the time to 'dip' into politics - the fact that there is no recreational quota for European anglers, and nor for UK commercial fishermen BUT that ICAAT allow the Japanese - nearly 10% - and even Icelandic fishermen to target Bluefin in the North East Atlantic. ...... Rant over.

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
I have heard of one 335lb by another shark angler on 30 class tackle , sounds like they may have boated and returned it.
Details are not confirmed but i have spoken to someone who has seen the photo's .:)

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Can"t see any pics or video unfortunately ?

headlight

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can"t see any pics or video unfortunately ?

headlight
There may be issues if you're not a registered Facebook user. If you are click on this link - https://www.facebook.com/Whitewatercharters?fref=nf - and scroll down. When I last checked there were three separate clips.

Also, reading some of the posts, it appears that they did at some stage touch the leader; so effectively 'caught and released'.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
I am on facebook but still can"t find any pics.
Not that I don"t believe it just would have liked to see a pic or 2 of such a magnificent fish.

headlight

·
Registered
594 Posts
ive seen three seperate vids and the fish didnt appear to have been landed or even seen, mind you i can easily believe it was a very big tuna or similar, last time i heard a reel make that sound it was when my father hooked a passing Warrior 175 doing about 30knts! lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts