World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this morning with hope of a decent session but the cold was just too much. I dont mind layering up body and legs but the feet and hands are what go to me. Any tips on keeping them warm?

·
Registered
254 Posts
catch more fish. lol
Or moon boots and thermal socks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Boots wool socks, hand warmers and gloves.I use the neoprene gloves as they are warm when wet. But it was really cold down this way last night. sub zero i reckon, your fingers freeze every time you rebait.

·
Registered
845 Posts
As said thermal socks. Don't buy the cheap 3 pairs for £5 type. Boots a good pair of thermal/gortex, breathable pair( Rockhooper, TFG etc) I've worn the TGF ones in -20 and my toes were nice and worm. Body second skin suit, tee shirt and hoody then topped off with a flotation suit. Neoprene gloves and woolly hat

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Went out this morning with hope of a decent session but the cold was just too much. I dont mind layering up body and legs but the feet and hands are what go to me. Any tips on keeping them warm?
Use a Coleman Northstar lantern to warm your hands over and heat up Pukka pies in foil . Keep your hands dry with a dry towel in your bag or box . You can also use pocket hand warmers which smolder in a padded metal can in your pockets .
:secret::wacko::blink::fish::fishing:

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Get yourself a shelter, keeps you out the wind and rain and can feel 10 degrees warmer or more. Try and keep your hands and gloves dry. Take your gloves off and stick them inside your coat under your armpits when reeling in, unhooking and rebaiting. If you use a wet towel for unhooking fish, keep a dry towel in your shelter to dry your hands before putting your gloves on. Petrol tilly lamp great for warming your mits, balance a stone on the top and youve got a good handwarmer.

Keep dry and don't sweat- if youve got more layers on than an onion and it's raining only zip up the outer layer when yomping to your mark or put the layers on when you get there.

A pair of boots one size too big so you can double up on thick wool socks works. Wool is good but don't mix it up with the normal washing unless you want to give the socks to your kids.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Use a Coleman Northstar lantern to warm your hands over and heat up Pukka pies in foil . Keep your hands dry with a dry towel in your bag or box . You can also use pocket hand warmers which smolder in a padded metal can in your pockets .
:secret::wacko::blink::fish::fishing:
Mmmm... Pukka pies, take em out the plastic first mind.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If youre wearing wellies, defo make sure that you put insoles into them, layer up on socks too. A thermos flask helps a lot. A shelter is expensive but just getting the wind off your back is a big bonus.:yeah:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Some good ideas so far. Out the other night around Filey (Yorkshire coast) I was warm enough and it was well below zero.

For my feet, sock liners from Go Outdoors inside woollen/woollen blend socks and good boots (I had Angler's Socks from Arco and Snowbee Rockhoppers from Veals but there are plenty of makes of each to choose from) worked well. Go Outdoors are doing a two-for-the-price-of-one on sock liners and socks including long thermals at the moment. If you're getting out of the car a few yards from your mark thermal socks may do the job but they're likely to get sweat soaked then very cold if you walk or climb any distance in them. The same thing applies for boots. Static rubber will give you good insulation. If you're moving you need something which will wick away any sweat which renders pure rubber useless.

Lots more to choose from and decide between for hands. I managed the other night but got cold hands for short spells and had to warm up. Ideas like rubbing petroleum jelly into the skin with just thin rubber gloves to keep the wind off are OK for a mild chill but thy can't cope with a sharp frost. So I've just put fisherman's gloves on my shopping list. You can poke your thumb and two fingers through when needed. I don't think the fingerless type will help much. But my fully covering very warm Goretex outdoor gloves won't help 'cos I'll need to take them off altogether to bait a hook or tie a knot.

To complete the picture, I've been using "bandits" from Go Outdoors in conjunction with beanie hats, all tucked under my parka hood for my head, neck and face. But I think a good balaclava would probably do as good a job with less messing about. So that's also on my shopping list.

·
Registered
818 Posts
i orderd a set of lighter fluid hand warmers off ebay got 2 for about £10 there the xl ones and the get really hot will try find them now and put the link up ideal for this weather

or if you go on ebay type in whitby hand warmers there the same as theese but much cheaper and bigger stay hot for upto 24 hours if you fill it all the way or 12 if you fill it half

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
I hate the cold, I suffer in the cold, if I get too cold I want to stop catching my beloved cod and go home, thats how bad it gets.

When it gets properly cold (-10 or colder), this is every thing I wear, warts an all!!

cotten socks
Wool socks
Pants (sometimes!)
Scierra dry trowsers http://www.chapmansangling.co.uk/images/scierra/thermo-dry-underwear.jpg
Scierra dry top http://www.chapmansangling.co.uk/images/scierra/thermo-dry-underwear.jpg
T shirt
Guy cotten all in one fleece romper suit (mmm warm and toasty :) )
Cargo trowsers
Fleece top
Sundridge En-Tec two piece suite.
Baffin titan boots http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=Baffin&index=shoes&search-type=ss
Nitrile gloves http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extra-str...ables_ET&var=440082914918&hash=item20cc46a4fa
Thinsulate fingerless gloves
and a nice fleece beany hat!!

If its freezing rain, ditch the en-tec and use guy cotten waterproofs. http://www.guycotten.co.uk/shop

I know it sounds bulky, but it really isnt that bad, not as bad as being freezing cold.

·
Registered
713 Posts
As said a beach shelter will keep out the cold wind and muck boots will keep your feet warm, about £70 but well worth the money.
Always wear a hat as well as heat escapes from your head.
As for hands keep them dry and wear gloves when your not baiting up or reeling in.
Don't know if they still sell them but I have an all in one thermal suit which looks like an adult baby grow!
Had mine since I was 13 and still fits nice although the misses thinks it looks a bit weird!
Also a seat will stop you sitting on cold pebbles and freezing.
If all that fails just do the 100m sprint up and down the beach and you'll soon warm up although you may get some funny looks.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Thermal socks with neoprene sock over the top, toastie warm. Don't like wearing gloves, zippo hand warmer or as has been mentioned a Coleman lantern with pebbles on top, warm them up and pop them in your pocket, careful they ain't too hot though, learnt the hard way last winter, lol.

Sent from the Batcave.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.